New Adventure: Unsolvable? (Simple 01)

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

New Adventure: Unsolvable? (Simple 01)

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:52 pm

No glitches required. Qloof, please don't Q-Flash that barrel, do it the proper way. :lol:

Some split-second timing is needed, which can get a bit tedious, but save/load will take care of that and it's small level, so... yeah.

So I finally understood how to place floors. :roll: I also understood how to use some other editor features, but I finally got floors right. Yeah. Floors are important. Anyway, here's a completely undecorated, no scenery, "very basic features" mini-puzzle that, nonetheless, should prove somewhat difficult to figure out and quite frustrating to do.

Also, this level went through several versions, and this is my first time using the WA editor. So just to ensure that I didn't mess something up and that this is the version that's actually possible, the level should have 3 flos, 3 blinks and 2 flashes. If there are only 2 flos, let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:05 pm

This was a pretty great first adventure! Such a clever puzzle in such a small space! After a bit of experimenting I managed to solve it. Awesome work! I hope to see more from you in the future. :)
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Muzo, you've joined the adventure designer crowd? Awesome! :D :D I still have some of your old RTW levels in good memory, and I'm pretty sure your puzzle design skills have even improved since then.

Yep, this was a terrific first adventure. You really got me fooled for a moment. Neat!
Also, orthogonally flying indigo and purple spellballs look so cool!
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:33 pm

This was very clever! 8)
Great job on this one.
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Oh my goodness, Muzozavr, this was amazing!

I never did any thing like this from when I was playing about two years ago; I knew less about the editor than you did. :lol:

I thank you for sharing this amazing adventure with us. :D
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Re: New Adventure: Unsolvable? (Simple 01)

Post by samuelthx » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Muzozavr wrote:...which can get a bit tedious...
should prove somewhat difficult to figure out and quite frustrating to do.
Indeed. The solution felt like an unintended one because of the meticulous timing needed.
One flo + 2 blinks for the first time, and 2 floings + 1 blink for the second time right?
Great first adventure! It was easy, although frustrating at times... :P. But most importantly, it was fun. Keep it up!

Yeah anyways welcome to making adventures! :D I think you'll find it's not that hard after you get the hang of it.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:23 pm

I still have some of your old RTW levels in good memory, and I'm pretty sure your puzzle design skills have even improved since then.
Actually, I do plan to design a "MUZ200" sometime, but since yotyot5 said "I'm sure it'll be something special" on the MUZ196 thread ( :lol: ) I plan MUZ200 as a bigger-than-usual level with basically every little puzzle trick I know of (no glitches, of course) under layers and layers of misdirection. I really want to fulfill that "special" part of yotyot5's statement, but with my university I rarely have much time. So that'll have to wait.

The reason I was able to design this one so quickly (once I figured out how to place floors :lol: ) is because I pre-planned the main idea beforehand and even sent a description to MS during POTZ development... well, it "sort of" made it in, but it was greatly simplified to the point of not even being recognizable anymore. So, as soon as I figured out the basics of the WA3 editor, I decided to design the real thing, which took about an hour of editing and testing. Plus, I added the barrel flash puzzle to make things look nicer. :P

I'm glad you all like my adventure!
orthogonal
Wait, did you use all the chargers? Because mine don't look nearly as cool as you're describing - because flo cannot hold flash spellballs (I tried that in the game itself in "Suspicious Silence") I have to use a tricky split-second move instead.

EDIT: I figured out the "orthogonal", turns out the game DOES allow you to do this the "easier" (in terms of timing, not in terms of puzzleness) way. I could swear it didn't work, but maybe I was doing something wrong. Anyway, the puzzle remains the same and I was making things pointlessly hard for myself. :lol:
The solution felt like an unintended one
Oh, wait. That one is, at least, if you're describing it right. I'll send you a PM.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Qloof, please don't Q-Flash that barrel, do it the proper way. :lol:
Aww, you just had to rain on my parade, didn't you? :lol:

Only just started this one, and it looks devious. I like. :twisted:
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Jutomi wrote:I used one flo and one blink for the first part, and 2 flo and 2 blink for the second.
This looks kind of different from Samuel's solution...
Edit: Forgot colours and /quote - again...

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Jutomi wrote:
Jutomi wrote:I used one flo and one blink for the first part, and 2 flo and 2 blink for the second.
This looks kind of different from Samuel's solution...
Edit: Forgot colours and /quote - again...
If you also needed to find the right time to use your flash, your solution is the intended one.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:49 pm

I assure you, I had to use flash in a matter of a split second, the first time :lol:

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm not sure if I hit upon the "right" solution, but I finished it without glitches (well, arguably).
First I put a Floing bubble in front of the red gate and cast a Blink spell into it (aimed at the same tile), then charged my gloves with one Flash spell. I stepped on the red button, then more or less the instant the Floing bubble broke and I teleported, I cast Flash at the barrel. From there, I put one Floing bubble just to the right of the gate (diagonally from it, horizontal to the buttons) with a Blink spell aimed at the indigo button. I put the last Floing bubble in front of the red gate, and aimed a Blink spell down to just below the indigo gate. Lastly, I picked up the other Flash charge and stood on the red button.

I say "arguably" about glitches because of the nature of the "shoot-through-gate" timing. I assume that's what you mean by split-second timing. Only needed to do that once, though.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:02 pm

No need to "shoot through gate", although that's a neat trick. My solution was originally just as tricky, but Lucky-Luc reminded me a very simple thing about the game engine that simplifies the timing a bit.
Place the floing bubble in the same spot, but aim your blink at the red button. Get back to the starting spot, wait until the bubble breaks, then RIGHT before the blink spellball hits the button, cast flash at the barrel. If you get it right, the red gate will open just in time.

Originally, my first flo ball was AT the red button, making the timing very ridiculous, but during testing I pulled it off anyway. Props to Lucky-Luc for reminding me that you CAN cast a spellball when another spellball is in motion.
So the first step can be done in an easier way. The second step is 100% proper, though, and was the original idea that formed the basis for this level. 8) I sent a similar (in a "flo+flash gets a wee stinker" form) as a trick for a rebuilt "Rescue Mission" level, but flo/flash doesn't work together, so all we got from that was multiple blinks in one flo ball at the end of "Open the Blast Doors!".
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Oh! Mine was backwards!
Jutomi wrote:I stood on the red button, and then once the floing ball broke, and I blinked in front of the red gate, I cast my flash charge - before the gate could close.
I seem to do things so ridiculously harder than they should be. :roll:

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Q did the same exact thing, so you're not alone. :P :lol:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:17 pm

That was a ridiculously clever puzzle! I approve.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 am

Bleh. I keep on messing up in front of you :oops: :P
Yeah it's 1F1B and 2F2B. Sorry! I had remembered a previous try and mixed the solutions up :roll:
Actually I found the second part harder. I practically had to all-out run!
For the first part, I used the stand on the button method, with a tiny difference. The timing is less stressful if the bubble is placed 2 or 3 tiles away from the red gate, with the blink in the bubble aimed at 1 tile before gate. That way it's easier to estimate when to shoot.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 am

samuelthx wrote:Bleh. I keep on messing up in front of you :oops: :P
Yeah it's 1F1B and 2F2B. Sorry! I had remembered a previous try and mixed the solutions up :roll:
Actually I found the second part harder. I practically had to all-out run!
For the first part, I used the stand on the button method, with a tiny difference. The timing is less stressful if the bubble is placed 2 or 3 tiles away from the red gate, with the blink in the bubble aimed at 1 tile before gate. That way it's easier to estimate when to shoot.
Your trick to the first part is what Lucky-Luc did to make the timing easier. :wink:

So, OK, you solved it the intended way. Congrats! 8)
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 am

Wonderful adventure... it was nice and easy but at the same time quite well composed and tricky too. Looking forward for more :D
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:10 am

Here I was, a whole of 45 minutes, trying to solve the whole thing in one step- when my first attempt at using two steps failed. Then I read the solution, and my first thought - I'm dumb.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:36 pm

Another great adventure; I always love your puzzles, Muz :P Looks like I may have solved it the same way as I did last time too; didn't realize there were two paths :lol:

Here's my video solution, although I'd be most interested in looking into the potential alternate solutions to this... maybe one day another nine years from now ;)

TwingleTheScraggler
Gold Wonderlander

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:56 am

Jutomi wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:36 pm
Another great adventure; I always love your puzzles, Muz :P Looks like I may have solved it the same way as I did last time too; didn't realize there were two paths :lol:

Here's my video solution, although I'd be most interested in looking into the potential alternate solutions to this... maybe one day another nine years from now ;)
Unsolvable it is not.