Concept Adventure - Azure Frost

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Concept Adventure - Azure Frost

Post by Jutomi » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:14 pm

Hello again everyone! So if anyone remembers, a little while back, I uploaded an adventure in Jut's Misfits III (B) called The Freezing Point, which, in order to mandate the glitch I wanted to showcase, involved a decent-sized adventure and the introduction of a magic I called "Azure" or "Frost" magic - which fundamentally is the same as Brr, but as if it were shot by an ice flower or command instead of by the player.

Today, I present to you a somewhat-larger adventure that expands on this idea! Think of this as a "proof of concept" adventure - one that includes not just Frost magic, but a small selection of hopefully interesting goodies. I think you'll most likely enjoy it :)

As an aside, except for the two textures you'll need to download, everything in this adventure, I believe, is vanilla, and should be able to be played even without OpenWA (although seriously you should get it if you somehow haven't already).

Oh, also, the textures go in Userdata/Custom/Objecttextures and the adventure goes in Userdata/Custom/Downloadinbox. There should be exactly three textures in the .zip attachment, which you'll need 7zip/winzip to access (though feel free to ask me if you're like me when I joined and don't know how these work xD)

Enjoy, and reach out if you're new and need any more help figuring it out! (Or if you just wanna comment on the adventure lol)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jutomi on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Re: Concept Adventure - Azure Frost

Post by Jutomi » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:31 pm

Video Solution:

Part 1 - A Treck Up North: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOK3KZah7lM
Part 2 - The Ice Monster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-jWw4imA8
Part 3 - Monstrous Teamwork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRMcAVRClMQ

How the Mechanics Work:

In case anyone is curious how any of this adventure works, or why the Brr/Frost things don't function perfectly, click/drag across the text below to highlight it (or copy it elsewhere if it's easier to read that way). Note: these contain some spoilers for the adventure if you haven't played it yet.
How the Frost/Brr Distinction is Made wrote:In the background - namely the upper-left corner - there is a super-fast MNIK speed turtle pressing buttons extremely quickly. These buttons are general commands, and they have two varieties. Both varieties are Command 4, which modifies id -1 (i.e. spellballs), modifier 14 (i.e. "Status"), and changes it to either 0 (shot by something other than the player) or 1 (shot by the player), and throughout the level there are several hidden commands the player steps on (most notably on Frost and Brr charges) which either activate or deactivate these buttons.

Note, however, that there's still technically a possibility for objects that are immediately hit by cast spells (since they start well outside of the object casting them) to behave as usual, hence why Frost may act like Brr if shot by the player and Brr may act like Frost if shot by a baby ice flower.

P.S. Yeah you kinda break into dance because the game thinks you're casting the brr shot by baby ice flowers. Unfortunately this also makes using the spy-eye difficult. Sorry about that. xD

How the Other Stuff Works wrote:So as you'll see in this adventure, there're two other really strange elements, as well as some wacky textures.
The textures are fairly easy. They're mainly trees that use an in-game level texture - namely the side of the boundary wall for the foggy mountains texture. (dm me or open in MNIK's editor if you wanna know how xD). The level texture's simply the one in the editor that was never used in-game that is frankly underused in custom content.

Lastly, the strange "ice bubble" is literally just a barrel with a sun sphere's model (be sure to set those data values to non-0!). Originally it was a "void" model with the texture that of the top background texture for Foggy Mountains, which gave a nice spike and glisten that I actually preferred, however the second spike was both more opaque and, made worse, had a terrible gap in its model when viewed from a certain angle. Alas. Could be a cool effect if anyone wants to make an alien abduction!

Regarding the void spaces (which use the "portal" object; the space version), the objects themselves are purely decorative! Instead, the tile logic is actually different - namely 06, which doesn't kill things (most things die in walls, a lot on water also), but also is not normally able to be walked through. Magic can partly eclipse this, but no such availability exists in this adventure. ;)

And, yes, I had to manually change how the monsters move using TrueMovement (mainly the TTC, but had to replicate other values also). This is also how I got the z-bot to move slower (that was intentional; I realized how stupid normal z-bots' speeds were for the first puzzle) and the special ghost to move through the frozen scritter. Too many thanks to MNIK for discovering this, and the editor allowing me to do this (as well as make this adventure in general)!
Last edited by Jutomi on Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 am

Wow, very innovative concept and great puzzles (sure I have to wait some time for the ice to break but still); I really loved that trick with the scritter and ghost (and the fire button one in particular, that was juicy.)

It looks like I forgot about the gems on the third area but I'll get back to them later this afternoon since I'm too tired now. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the level! :P

don't forget to upload fs.png pls
LEVEL LIS1
The Hidd3n Archive, Part Four: [33%, Paused]
The Hidden 4rchive, Part Three (Redeemer's Edition)
The Apocollab [0%, Confirmed, Planning]
Are Cookie and Ash Gay? [Cancelled]
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:16 am

Really glad you liked it! :mrgreen:

Also, uh, yeah, I fixed the .zip; I knew I'd forget about fs.png xD should be fixed now! Apologies to the other person who downloaded this prior. :P

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:45 pm

I've uploaded and finally linked my video solution to this! It's divided into 3 parts, just a heads up. :P

I would put these in the first post, but since attachments are buggy, they're now in the second post with the spoiler text.

Hope you've all enjoyed :)