New Adventure - Ice & Explosives

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

New Adventure - Ice & Explosives

Post by nasko222 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:40 pm

Some unused adventure (It became too hard) for my upcoming project WA: SubZero

Enjoy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Re: New Adventure - Ice & Explosives

Post by |Cookie| » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:22 pm

Beat it! Here's some of my feedback:

Generally, I've noticed you tend to have promising ideas with your levels, however, I feel the downside for many of them is the repetition and at times being drawn out, this issue also seems prominent in Lattius Road, where I liked the idea of many levels, but their execution didn't hit the mark. Consider this general feedback based on what I saw in LR and this adventure. This isn't out of malice, I wanted to throw in my two cents.
So, I wanna digest this adventure and maybe give a few of my opinions.

Before I get into the main point I want to mention, I want to say the spikey puzzle and brr puzzle were alright here, these type of puzzles are basically a staple at this point because everybody made one like them. I'm personally not a huge fan of them since they usually don't bring anything new to the table and my solving method for them is always the same making them not exciting, but this isn't a critique of the adventure, just this type of puzzle.

With that, I must say that I have a few issues with the final puzzle. Funny enough, I liked its concept more than the first two puzzles, recharging baby boomers is a rarely used idea and has potential, but its execution left a lot to be desired. You have the potential for making good adventures, but the thing I advise you to think more about is Execution vs Solving times: How long does it take to execute the solution vs how long does it take to actually figure out what you have to do? Personally, I find puzzles that are hard to solve but fast to execute much more engaging than puzzles that I can immediately solve at a glance but are a grind to actually win.
The thing the third puzzle struggles with is that the barrel maze isn't really hard to solve by looking at it with your spy-eye. However, going up and down more than 5 times to actually blow up the barrels is straight-up filler that is not engaging to the player, this amount of down-time and repetition is a detriment to the enjoyment factor of an adventure. I am not saying "make shorter/smaller adventures", but rather "try to save the player's time whenever you can". The kaboom rechargers could've been placed at the bottom near the barrels, making the pace of the puzzle much faster and tolerable. This isn't the only adventure where I noticed this problem, but a few LR levels are like that too: It's very obvious what to do, but actually doing it isn't engaging and/or requires repeating the same thing multiple times and simply takes way too long to justify it.

Another thing I noticed is that most elements in the third puzzle aren't needed, I just had to use the baby boomer and the kaboom rechargers to get gold, but alt solutions aren't a deal-breaker for me, so I won't focus on this aspect.

Consider this general feedback. Anyway, like they always say, thanks for the fun!
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:46 pm

thanks for the feedback. I actually dislike the time i have to spend on some lattius road adventures, so i see your point. Whenever i get back to WA with my new hub SubZero, i will take it into consideration
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:45 pm

Made a video solution anyway. Well, less a "solution" than a "playthrough" but :P

Boop
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.