Pawelec's Custom Lair is online!

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Pawelec's Custom Lair is online!

Post by Pawelec » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Things are going well and busy here, I should upload most of the W.I.P. works before the end of this week, so I decided it's time to give you a link to my Custom Lair. Lots and lots of stuff is waiting for you there.

Right now there may be many W.I.P. things, but as I wrote above most of them are in the final stage and should be uploaded very soon.

The sad thing is I'm doing this because I decided to abandon a hub I started... well, years ago. Most of the stuff at the Lair was meant to be released alongside the hub for better effect, but as the hub will not be finished I'm giving it away for everyone to use.

As most of the stuff is based on models and textures from different games they cannot be used for any other purpose than WAE levels and hubs. There's a proper disclaimer at the Lair, which you can visit at my forum:
Pawelec's Custom Lair
Last edited by Pawelec on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am

Post by Wonderland King » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:33 am

I'm really impressed by the custom content. Seems like a lot of work was put into them, and I look forward to seeing them all released. :D

I'm very sorry to hear about your hub, though... If you don't mind my asking, do you plan to release what you have so far, as a sort of demo? I understand that you may want to keep it private or not have the time, though, so no pressure. :)
User avatar
Creeperpasta
Gold Wonderlander
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:52 am

WHOAA

Post by Creeperpasta » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 am

I LOVE THE LIME TEXTURE PACK! I DIG THE ROCKS AND THE SAND AND THE GRASS WOWWW.

It also seems that you got lots of things coming OoO I'll stop by frequently ^_^
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:15 am

Wonderland King wrote:I'm really impressed by the custom content. Seems like a lot of work was put into them, and I look forward to seeing them all released. :D

I'm very sorry to hear about your hub, though... If you don't mind my asking, do you plan to release what you have so far, as a sort of demo? I understand that you may want to keep it private or not have the time, though, so no pressure. :)
Well, I spent a lot of time working on the content because of the hub, many of the items were corrected several times (but not all).

I unlocked the Lair topic on my forum, so if you'd like to discuss it there feel free to register and express your thoughts there. You may as well do that here, I'll X-post a link to this thread in the Lair topic so everyone can follow.

I don't know what to do with the hub itself. The first version, Tropical Islands, was started right after the Unofficial MoFI Editor was released, so really years ago. I abandoned it and launched a second version under the same name soon after, but I wasn't happy with the result. Then PotZ release came along and made many of my plot ideas (e.g. the villains kidnapping Wysp) obsolete. I set up a new storyline, sketched new areas and started making custom content for them, but there wasn't enough time and ideas for me to fill everything with adventures. The hub areas are mostly done, while the adventures are ready only in the starting area (which are the learning adventures, so they are quite boring). I'll complete the custom content first, then decide what to do with the hub. ab-47 and kidkidaaa1 were helping me all the way with their adventure ideas, but as I knew there will be problems with finishing the hub I thought they should work on their own. Various players were briefly engaged in the project, even yot yot5 sent me a little but demanding adventure when I asked him for some help (I think I still have it), Master Wonder Mage and Plurm offered their help too, but I was busy doing different things than Wonderland when they wanted to help me.

I decided I may spice things up a little with a screenshot of both some custom content and a part of my hub-to-have-been: Lost in the Woods adventure in the Misty Woods area. This is one of the most sentimental adventures of the whole hub as I designed it for the very first edition of Tropical islands and it went through all the versions being expanded and redecorated. The texture and props will be uploaded to the Lair in a day or two.

Image
Image
Image

I feel the urge to write Com Rante's choice of colours shows extremely good taste. I rediscovered his Wooded Waterlands texture today and got an inspiration for my own one.

As you may have noticed, the stuff is appearing at the Lair. Screenshots will come soon.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: WHOAA

Post by FinnThor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Creeperpasta wrote:I LOVE THE LIME TEXTURE PACK! I DIG THE ROCKS AND THE SAND AND THE GRASS WOWWW.

It also seems that you got lots of things coming OoO I'll stop by frequently ^_^
I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY!! (That is, here on this post that I'm quoting. Also, caps are totally necessary.) THE LIME TEXTURES ARE AWESOME!! Seriously, They Are AMAZING. One of the best textures I've ever seen. I'll stop by once or twice a day! Keep up the good work on those textures and I look forward to downloading them when they're released! :D
User avatar
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Post by LexieTheFox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 pm

I really don't mean to necro but I recently took a look at this and /wow/ was I impressed!

You have quite a lot of custom models in your adventures, I notice, many of which look rather appealing. Do you, or anyone else by any chance know where I may get those models? OR any other useful places to get such models?

More variety for art and usch is ALWAYS better than no variety or less variety.. and I'd like as much to work with as I possibly can!

Thank you in advance X3
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 pm

LexieTheFox wrote:I really don't mean to necro but I recently took a look at this and /wow/ was I impressed!

You have quite a lot of custom models in your adventures, I notice, many of which look rather appealing. Do you, or anyone else by any chance know where I may get those models? OR any other useful places to get such models?

More variety for art and usch is ALWAYS better than no variety or less variety.. and I'd like as much to work with as I possibly can!

Thank you in advance X3
Really, all you have to do is register on his forum, go to the Lair topic, and where it said download at the bottom in bold, that has turned into a download link. So you can download his textures and models! (Look through all of them.)
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Sun May 28, 2017 8:00 pm

LexieTheFox wrote:I really don't mean to necro but I recently took a look at this and /wow/ was I impressed!

You have quite a lot of custom models in your adventures, I notice, many of which look rather appealing. Do you, or anyone else by any chance know where I may get those models? OR any other useful places to get such models?

More variety for art and usch is ALWAYS better than no variety or less variety.. and I'd like as much to work with as I possibly can!

Thank you in advance X3
Oh, I don't mind a little necro. I actually stopped uploading content to the Lair because I thought no one was interested. I am happy to read I was wrong :D

To download the models and textures simply register at ConceptLab (I do my best to make sure users won't get any spam or other sort of e-mail crap, so if you get any send me a PM at the Lab and I'll proceed to get rid of it once and for all) and go to the Lair topic (link in the first post of this topic).

I still have like a ton of models on my drive but they need polishing, rescaling and other minor stuff to make them usable. I should be done with this semester's finals in two weeks so I can spend some time to bring the unfinished content to life mid-June.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Pawelec wrote: I still have like a ton of models on my drive but they need polishing, rescaling and other minor stuff to make them usable. I should be done with this semester's finals in two weeks so I can spend some time to bring the unfinished content to life mid-June.
Are you going to update this? I'm looking forward to those new models/textures. (I was so excited when I figured out how to download this stuff, as earlier in the year I thought it was private and nobody could get it.) :) :roll:
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm

FinnThor wrote:
Pawelec wrote: I still have like a ton of models on my drive but they need polishing, rescaling and other minor stuff to make them usable. I should be done with this semester's finals in two weeks so I can spend some time to bring the unfinished content to life mid-June.
Are you going to update this? I'm looking forward to those new models/textures. (I was so excited when I figured out how to download this stuff, as earlier in the year I thought it was private and nobody could get it.) :) :roll:
Yup, the things are going, I'll upload some leveltexes tomorrow. Uploading everything I intended may take some time though as I still have some .zip archives full of models I didn't even unpack, treasures may be hidden there.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Pawelec wrote:
FinnThor wrote:
Pawelec wrote: I still have like a ton of models on my drive but they need polishing, rescaling and other minor stuff to make them usable. I should be done with this semester's finals in two weeks so I can spend some time to bring the unfinished content to life mid-June.
Are you going to update this? I'm looking forward to those new models/textures. (I was so excited when I figured out how to download this stuff, as earlier in the year I thought it was private and nobody could get it.) :) :roll:
Yup, the things are going, I'll upload some leveltexes tomorrow. Uploading everything I intended may take some time though as I still have some .zip archives full of models I didn't even unpack, treasures may be hidden there.
Alright, thanks for informing me! :)
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 am

Quick info: I decided to postpone the release because I want to test everything before the upload. 4 new leveltexes are coming later this week.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:18 am

Pawelec wrote:Quick info: I decided to postpone the release because I want to test everything before the upload. 4 new leveltexes are coming later this week.
I happened to be checking up on it yesterday and was wondering why you hadn't released them yet. I didn't ask again, because I didn't want to be rude. Thanks for informing us. :)
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Post by LexieTheFox » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 am

Aaah.. that's good to hear! I'm glad to hear you'll be uploading new material to it soon enough!

That'll do nicely for my future endeavors with Wonderland: Operation Mecha.. (Whenever I get around to it once again.. man am I in Development Hell right now!)
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 am

So to keep the tension up I decided I'll release the next 4 textures separately, one texture daily. Today's update is the Greek Coast leveltex:
Image
Image
Image
Image

For details, visit the Lair.

I'm sorry for the delays but I'm doing a spectroscopy research project at my university (mad-scientist-to-be MBWAHAHAHA!), modding 2 PC games and developing home-made expansions to two board games simultaneously, all that while maintaining everyday life and learning music theory because why not, that's why I'm rather desperate to finish all WA-related stuff so I have less things to distract me :lol:
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Yay, a new level texture is out!

Boo, I can't download them until Friday because of vacation! :(
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:26 pm

I know what you're guys thinking: the mood I create on the screens I give you comes from the combination of custom leveltex and custom objects. That's true because most of the objects were created with certain leveltextes in mind for my hub-to-have-been (in fact the ones in this post come from one of the hub's areas), but objects take a lot more time to be completed than leveltexes do and I intend to release them in packs, so you'll have to wait a bit longer for these. For now, enjoy the Twilight Gardens leveltex, which is a un-childish-ed version of Star Town texture from PotZ.

As always: download is at the Lair, link in the first post.

Image
Image
Image
Image
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
Jutomi
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3493
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Your stuff is always so beautiful, Pawelec! Thank you for this beautiful new texture. :D
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:47 pm

(Deleted)
Last edited by FinnThor on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
|Cookie|
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 am

Post by |Cookie| » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:04 am

These are wonderful. I'm definitely using these in the future! :shock:
Can you tell me which program do you use to make the 3D models again? Thanks!
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 pm

|Cookie| wrote:Can you tell me which program do you use to make the 3D models again?
I admit I rarely make the models from scratch, but when I do I use Blender or AC3D. Blender offers better modelling tools but AC3D is way better at small fixes and its limited functionality makes you remember how the objects look in Blitz3D :wink:
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Post by LexieTheFox » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:31 am

Very nice textures, Pawelec, thank you!!

Can't wait for the 'full packages', too. Really helps the spark try to ignite to work on Operation Mecha some more ;3
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
User avatar
Yoda
Rainbow Keeper
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Post by Yoda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:32 am

WoW, all of your leveltextures are beautiful :o

I will definitely use them in the future :wink:

(I already use leveltexture mistywoods in CvP 8 :P )
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:30 am

Today I have an update which wasn't planned, but browsing through my Wonderland directory I came across a very old leveltex of mine, Olympus, which was developed together with Lime and had its own Wonder-Marble set of props (which I also have and I will upload them soon; I burst out laughing when I saw the 'naked' Stinker statue).

You may have noticed the similarities between Lime and Greek Coast, and that's correct, because the Greek Coast/Greek Temple pair was intended to be a more cartoon-ish take on Lime/Olympus couple. Then I changed my mind and replaced Ancient Greek props with Medieval Japanese ones (but these are far from finished and will be uploaded as some of the last assets at the Lair).

Enjoy the excavated leveltex, download link at the Lair!

Image
Image
Image

As a side note: a break in leveltex uploading is planned as I intend to release some of the models now, I'd also like to make proper screens for the AoE Tree set which is huge.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4237
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 am

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Looks straight out of an official Wonderland game, well done. What do you use for creating the leveltextures? They've got a perfect style.
@minimus#2048
message me on discord, won't you?
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:54 pm

StinkerSquad01 wrote:Looks straight out of an official Wonderland game, well done. What do you use for creating the leveltextures? They've got a perfect style.
I wish I knew. :P

These leveltexes really are amazing.
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:37 pm

StinkerSquad01 wrote:Looks straight out of an official Wonderland game, well done. What do you use for creating the leveltextures? They've got a perfect style.
First of all it takes a good intuition. It is necessary to catch the right degree of simplification to suit the WA trilogy style. My first attempts were often too realistic. Then you need to find a good inspiration (I usually try to transfer graphic ideas from other games which follow similar, simplified cartoon style) and gather starting material: either find good stuff on Google Graphics and modify it or make new tiles from scratch (eg. basing on WA material). I need 3 floor styles, 2 wall styles and top + side pair for water tiles, I make them seamless (I make sure the tile edges fit themselves in any combination by taking half of one edge, flipping it so I get symmetrical edge, then I make frame out of these symmetrical edges, the last step is to blend the tile into the edges, not the opposite, while making sure the symmetrical edges don't get too noticeable when combined) then I make transition tiles and add decorative stuff or new styles in the last 3 rows of a leveltex. I use Photoshop but Gimp seems to offer all the necessary functions.

Let's take the Twilight Garden. The overall idea was based on PotZ Star Town, but I hate these rainbow edges and stars all over the place, so I replaced stars with dotted pattern, the floor being recoloured WA Hills floor and the walls recoloured Forever Forest walls. Stars from the red wall were removed manually. Misty Woods wall sides are recoloured Uo wall sides, Turquoise Hills use WA Hills floor and walltops and MoFI Beach sand, just recoloured, DeSand uses recoloured MoFI Acid Pools and Jungle Temple walls, Olympus has WA Temple and Wondertown tiles and even Lime has wall sides from MoFI Jungle rocks and Wonderfalls stones. It's easy to keep the style consistent when you base on actual WA trilogy stuff :wink:

The only leveltexes which use almost exclusively new material are Purple Cliffs and Greek Coast, but these were heavily inspired by already existing leveltexes (Puprple Shore and Lime). I was lucky to find a great rocky wall texture, which I reuse often. All W.I.P. leveltexes are brand new stuff, that's why they take me so long to finish.

BTW: as some of you may have noticed, model packs started appearing at the Lair. I'll continue uploading them tomorrow. Some pack will need more attention (i.e. time), though, especially the organic decorations: water and underbrush sets are definitely my most useful creations so far but they require additional polish.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
FinnThor
Rainbow Master
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by FinnThor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Pawelec wrote:BTW: as some of you may have noticed, model packs started appearing at the Lair. I'll continue uploading them tomorrow. Some pack will need more attention (i.e. time), though, especially the organic decorations: water and underbrush sets are definitely my most useful creations so far but they require additional polish.
You're right. There's the modular bridge set now. That wasn't there an hour or two ago! :shock: :?

Looking forward to more leveltexes and models! :)

Edit: OH YES THANK YOU

I can finally mix my music pack with some good leveltexes! The olympic leveltex works PERFECTLY for some of my upcoming adventures! :D
Cheese!

My Level List:
yay

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring FinnThor, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
User avatar
Pawelec
Rainbow Master
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Pawelec » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Sorry for the delay, but my research project requires more attention now because of some unexpected difficulties. I will release everything I have created over past 5 years this summer, I promise. I'll try to upload few smaller asset packs and most object textures this week. The last asset packs are created along with corresponding leveltexes to keep the style consistent, so they will take some time to finish.

The yot yot's hub made me realise the Lair uploads are my swansong. I have no further plans related with Wonderland after I upload all of my creations and ports from other games. This makes the work harder as it is hard for me to leave the community I was a part of for 14 years. On the other hand I'm in a hurry because more and more people leave PC Puzzle and I want to upload stuff to the Lair before all the level designers leave so someone can actually use it.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
User avatar
Yoda
Rainbow Keeper
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Post by Yoda » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Pawelec wrote:Sorry for the delay, but my research project requires more attention now because of some unexpected difficulties. I will release everything I have created over past 5 years this summer, I promise. I'll try to upload few smaller asset packs and most object textures this week. The last asset packs are created along with corresponding leveltexes to keep the style consistent, so they will take some time to finish.

The yot yot's hub made me realise the Lair uploads are my swansong. I have no further plans related with Wonderland after I upload all of my creations and ports from other games. This makes the work harder as it is hard for me to leave the community I was a part of for 14 years. On the other hand I'm in a hurry because more and more people leave PC Puzzle and I want to upload stuff to the Lair before all the level designers leave so someone can actually use it.
I'm sure I will not leave the forum yet, at least until I finish my hub.
Ever since I first played WA, I wanted to make my own hub, now that this opportunity has shown me I have no intention of giving up halfway!
So I'm hurrying to as many people as possible see my hub, same as you :wink:

No matter how many people leave this community, I'm having fun here :D
I'm just sorry because I later found this forum because I know it was much more fun then :cry:

Your textures are great. I use them in CvP, which should come out today.
Thanks for spending your time doing it for us :)

Please, do not leave this forum yet, at least until you finish everything you started :|
Post Reply