Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: WA Editor Updates, Ideas & Suggestion Thread

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:30 pm

sodapop! wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:21 am
Wonderman109 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:19 am
At this point I would consider simplifying your puzzle or converting a multi-puzzle level into a hub. 100+ level puzzles are probably unreasonably hard.
Oh gosh no, this is for a hub that might turn out to be bigger than I imagined. It'd probably cap out at 110 or so wlvs.
I'm sure you can combine a few of those wlvs to make it work!
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed May 11, 2022 10:22 pm

There's a small bug that I hope can be easily fixed.
Whenever you Brrr or PermaBrrr something (like a Chomper for example) and then save and reload the game, the frozen object will start animating like normal again instead of being completely still. This also happens when you leave the WLV while the object is frozen and then return to it.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm

jdl wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:22 pm
Whenever you Brrr or PermaBrrr something (like a Chomper for example) and then save and reload the game, the frozen object will start animating like normal again instead of being completely still. This also happens when you leave the WLV while the object is frozen and then return to it.
Thanks for reporting! Does the bug happen in vanilla editor too?
Previously known as Aryan101
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm

jdl wrote:
Previously known as Aryan101
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Fri May 13, 2022 10:17 pm

Lazy Loof wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm
jdl wrote:
Yes, I've confirmed that this bug happens in v3.00.
Here's another minor bug that happens in vanilla and OpenWA: If you pause the game while in an Askabout, the dialog window will be extra large when you unpause the game.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sun May 15, 2022 12:39 am

I also have three suggestions.

1. This is for commands 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 13, 14, 17, and 18: Would it be possible to add a Data4 to them that has the same functionality as command 4's Data4? (Having the commands take place in a different WLV.)

2. My second suggestion is for something that may be a bit advanced: usage of variables in commands.
I personally have no ideas at the moment on what to use this for, but I'm positive some other forum members will think of something very creative. Basically, what if you could use some of the variables that are in the WA source code as parameters in commands? Like the Player's current X and Y values for example. I only assume that this isn't already possible because I tried evaluating "2+2" as a parameter for command 7 but it didn't work.

3. I'm not sure if I've suggested this before. New command: Rotate Color. Basically it's the rotation buttons but in command form.
There could actually be two versions of this command: One that plays the rotation sound and one that is silent.
Data1: Color ID.
Data2: Direction. 0 = Counterclockwise, 1 = Clockwise.
Data3: # of times to rotate.
Data4: WLV to take place in (like command 4's Data4).
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:27 am

jdl wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:39 am
1. This is for commands 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 13, 14, 17, and 18: Would it be possible to add a Data4 to them that has the same functionality as command 4's Data4? (Having the commands take place in a different WLV.)
Wait I actually like this idea as well and I think it can be used a lot in the future. Definitely an interesting suggestion that I'd root for! 8)
LEVEL LIS1
The Hidd3n Archive, Part Four: [33%, Paused]
The Hidden 4rchive, Part Three (Redeemer's Edition)
The Apocollab [0%, Confirmed, Planning]
Are Cookie and Ash Gay? [Cancelled]
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat May 21, 2022 6:47 pm

Here's an interesting object idea that came to mind: Rotating Doorways.

This may already be possible with some complicated command 17 setup (or multiple setups, if you want to use more than one!) but I'm not sure.

The idea is that these are doorways that you (or other objects!) can walk through. Once you step off of them, they will rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on what the direction variable is set to. They have a color ID, so they can be rotated manually by regular buttons, and they can also be activated/deactivated. Once deactivated, they no longer automatically rotate after being stepped off of (buttons can still manually rotate in the deactivated state though).

They come in 2 variants: Corner and Straight. I used Autodoors and rotation buttons to help create an image of what this object might look like. The green tiles show the directions you can enter the Rotating Doorways from, while the red tiles show how you can't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun May 22, 2022 12:27 am

I love this idea. Definitely gonna plop this in my list of mod ideas, haha.

I'd be curious if something like this could be done in vanilla. I know for sure you can make boundaries between two tiles using really small hidden custom models set to "deadly" (and theoretically if you make the model itself a certain shape, you could also do this), but a) other monsters can definitely walk through them, b) the models glitch in vanilla (it's fixed in openwa; only one adventure I made after that fix uses the bug intentionally so not an issue), and c) no way you could turn them xD

Genuinely, really cool idea, JDL. :)

Now for an idea of my own:
Personally, I'd love to see a version of existing OpenWA, except with its modded content removed for an "OpenWA Lite", while the modded content could be expanded upon for an "OpenWA deluxe" or something. That way, OpenWA Lite can basically just be optimized vanilla (as I thought it was supposed to be) while Deluxe can be a massive mod collection.

Edit: Reference to my ideas list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ELD ... sp=sharing
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:34 am

Seconded! I love the rotating doorways idea.

I can see all kinds of puzzles being made by combining these with regular rotator buttons or hiding baddies behind/inside them (kind of like the ones in Rodger Dodger, if any 90s/early-2000s kids still remember that game, but less boring :P)
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:08 pm

That is actually a great idea which I can see myself creating a few quality puzzles with, but it is possible to be made in vanilla so I'm not sure if we need to have a modded version of this. Still great despite that! :)
Jutomi wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:27 am
I'd be curious if something like this could be done in vanilla.
I think you can actually make this in vanilla provided that it takes a 3x3 space, the autodoors only show which path gets blocked during rotations and it will require some work behind the scenes (mechanisms, basically) to get such a thing to work.
LEVEL LIS1
The Hidd3n Archive, Part Four: [33%, Paused]
The Hidden 4rchive, Part Three (Redeemer's Edition)
The Apocollab [0%, Confirmed, Planning]
Are Cookie and Ash Gay? [Cancelled]
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:11 pm

*lurking and writing ideas for the better editor*

Kappa
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:40 pm

rainbowmon wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:59 am
Had a thought recently and figure I may as well mention it: I think controller support could be nice. It wouldn't be as precise as a mouse, sure, but being able to play Wonderland with a controller would be pretty cool, wouldn't it? I mean, technically you could just use Steam or Antimicro or something like that, but that would have to... "Emulate" (" because I'm not 100% sure that's the best word for it) mouse movement. Controller support could get rid of the mouse entirely - you'd still have a pointer for casting magic, but pushing a direction on the D-Pad / Left Analog Stick would move the pointer to the next tile in that direction, rather than dragging the pointer around. The right analog stick could be used for camera controls (the ones using the numpad + alt + x)... Other things could be done too. My point being, it'd be nice as an option in the open source version of the Wonderland Adventures Editor (and the eventual open source version of RTW, though WA would benefit more, since it uses the mouse which doesn't directly port over to a controller well and thus any mouse controls would need to be reworked for a controller).
Was thinking about Wonderland+ (the classic trilogy remake) and got to thinking about how controller support for Wonderland Adventures could work again - I thought I had mentioned it before, and here it is!

That said, if this is eventually implemented in WASharp, and I hope it is, I no longer think it would be a good idea to get rid of the mouse entirely - the fact is, a lot of levels in WA require quick and precise magic casting, which simply wouldn't be possible on controller. So this would be more like a third control scheme - we already have "Mouse" and "Keyboard and Mouse", the default control schemes, and this would essentially be "Controller and Mouse".

As for control mappings, I'm thinking something like this would probably be ideal (using an Xbox controller for reference):

D-Pad / Left Analog Stick: Move
A Button: Talk/Interact + Confirm
B Button: Cancel
X Button: Toggle Glow Gem (Alternatively, maybe have a way to select a specific item for this button?)
Y Button: Toggle Camera Zoom (What the numpad 0 key does on keyboard, except toggleable - maybe implement multiple zoom levels too?)
L-Bumper: Rotate save slot -1
R-Bumper: Rotate save slot +1
L-Trigger: Quick-load current save slot
R-Trigger: Quick-save current save slot (Maybe have an option to switch quick-save / quick-load?)
View (Select): Open inventory
Menu (Start): Pause game
Right Analog Stick: Spy-Eye
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:08 pm

New Idea: See attached picture.
I'm not sure what this effect is called, but Super Mario Odyssey uses it when the player is hidden behind walls/objects. I think this would be a great idea for WA, at least on paper. I'm not sure if such an effect is even possible in Blitz(Sharp)3D.

I know that sometimes level creators like to hide the player inside walls, especially for cutscenes. A per-wlv setting could be added that allows the level creator to disable the effect for the player only. For everything else, a new adjuster could be added to objects that allow/disallow use of the effect. Most objects (like scenery) could have the effect set to off by default, but other objects like Transporters, Chompers, etc. could be on. Legacy adventures can have the effect off by default.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:31 pm

jdl wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:08 pm
New Idea: See attached picture.
I'm not sure what this effect is called, but Super Mario Odyssey uses it when the player is hidden behind walls/objects. I think this would be a great idea for WA, at least on paper. I'm not sure if such an effect is even possible in Blitz(Sharp)3D.

I know that sometimes level creators like to hide the player inside walls, especially for cutscenes. A per-wlv setting could be added that allows the level creator to disable the effect for the player only. For everything else, a new adjuster could be added to objects that allow/disallow use of the effect. Most objects (like scenery) could have the effect set to off by default, but other objects like Transporters, Chompers, etc. could be on. Legacy adventures can have the effect off by default.
A lot of games use an effect like that - and I can definitely see how it could be useful for Wonderland. Hopefully it gets added!
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:56 pm

I noticed that dialogs haven't really been touched since the game went open-sourced.
Just thought I'd throw in my two-cents for some possible new features: Italic, Underline, and Strikethrough text!
With a little image editing, I'm able to show you what this might look like. I also changed the layout of MNIK's Editor a bit so that the extra text effect buttons could be added.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:56 am

thats a nice idea ig, ill try to add it in beta2 of my openwa branch
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 pm

im sorry jdl i tried but i couldnt for my life make the italic font, OpenWA code is apparently more confusing than WA3 code because its been refactored and its twice as huge, i havent adapted to iit yet
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:40 pm

nasko222 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 pm
im sorry jdl i tried but i couldnt for my life make the italic font, OpenWA code is apparently more confusing than WA3 code because its been refactored and its twice as huge, i havent adapted to iit yet
That's alright. :)
I wonder if it's even possible code-wise to make the default font look italic.
Most likely what would need to happen is making completely separate italicized, underlined, and strikethrough'd font bitmaps, and then just switch font banks when the effect is applied.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:43 pm

Well I tried with RotateEntity function and also with AddLetter but modifying the velocity
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:20 pm

jdl wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:40 pm
nasko222 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 pm
That's alright. :)
I wonder if it's even possible code-wise to make the default font look italic.
Most likely what would need to happen is making completely separate italicized, underlined, and strikethrough'd font bitmaps, and then just switch font banks when the effect is applied.
Honestly it would have to be this, separate bitmaps. I've lowkey wanted support for diacritics and non-English characters (ökäy möstly jüst ümläütß but anything past that would be insane) though I dunno how italic support for all that would follow. Not to mention having a good input interface for them.

Also two free iLoof nanos? Probably didn't sell well if they have enough remaining stock to give them away in such increments 20 years later.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:59 pm

At this moment in time, it looks like strikethrough'd and underlined text will either have to be coded in somehow (drawing rectangles?) or the code for font character mapping will have to be altered in order to use different bitmaps. I tried doing a strikethrough bitmap, but there's always a small gap in between characters which ruins the effect.

As for italics, I have created an italic bitmap. It uses "Courier 10 Pitch" which seems to be the closest font to WA's default.
You can download this font by clicking here. Please read the license in the Readme file if you decide to use this!