Steam Release?

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl, David

jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Steam Release?

Post by jdl » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:30 pm

I found this on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2135 ... onderland/
It's probably legitimate, but does anyone know for sure? It releases in 13 days, but I haven't noticed anything being announced (unless it was supposed to be a surprise, in which case, oops :oops: ).
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: Steam Release?

Post by Sammy_P » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:39 pm

Yeah, apparently it's been sitting there unannounced for at least a few months now-- since at least September?, (feels weird to be releasing the mobile port on PC) guess we'll see what happens.

edit: Now it's pushed to a vague Q1 2023. Neat.
Last edited by Sammy_P on Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:25 pm

It's strange to see this, especially without any announcement of any kind. Personally, I would prefer to see the original versions on Steam.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:15 am

garirry wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:25 pm
Personally, I would prefer to see the original versions on Steam.
Yeah, for real. This being announced while WonderlandPlus.NET exists, and is going strong dev-wise is kinda odd.
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:40 am

I agree with the above posts that a version more similar to the original releases would be preferable
Insert stupid jokes here.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:26 pm

I agree as well. The mobile version is great, but when it comes to the PC platform, WonderlandPlus.NET would be the best choice for a more up-to-date release. It uses BlitzSharp3D, which (as far as I know) is literally Blitz3D ported to a different programming language.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:42 pm

BlitzSharp3D doesn't feel the same. Its engine difference instead of coding difference but in a way I can't describe, the movement and the inventory/menu GUI feels different.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:07 pm

It's been a real hot minute since I posted here (or even really lurked, to be honest), but uh, yeah, I'm afraid I have to agree with the other posts in this thread. I get why the classic trilogy in its original form isn't being listed up on Steam, and I'm aware that there are likely all sorts of complications around readying WonderlandPlus.NET for a retail release, but I don't think the mobile version is really fit for this.

I have my own qualms in the first place - I'm vehemently opposed to the typical aspects of free-to-play mobile games (microtransactions, energy systems, ads, etc.) - but even beyond that, I just don't think it's a good fit for a more widespread release like this. There are all sorts of visual discrepancies against the original games (and I'm sorry, but I really don't think the refractive/reflective water is appropriate alongside the rest of the game's 2003-era assets, especially the lava - it's jarring and out of place), the updated editor UI is kinda difficult to read at a glance compared to the original... And while I'm sure it'd play better with a keyboard than with a touchscreen, from giving the mobile release a whirl on my phone yesterday, it just... didn't feel good to play. It felt really stiff and jarring, and that was without reaching any of the levels with multiple characters - just trying to push boxes in a simple manner or dodge hazards felt awkward and unresponsive, and the save/load functionality doesn't make up for that in my opinion.

I don't know. I don't want to be negative about this, but even considering that the old Blitz code is likely too archaic and messy to really be worth fixing up at this point, I don't think the mobile version is a good base for any potential future re-releases on PC.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:16 am

nasko222 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:42 pm
BlitzSharp3D doesn't feel the same. Its engine difference instead of coding difference but in a way I can't describe, the movement and the inventory/menu GUI feels different.
Agreed, but probably still less "different" than wonderland mobile :P

I'm not personally against the mobile version coming to steam, myself (although, steam is definitely more of a PC thing imo). But I would also like to see, if it's not possible for the original six games, to at least see the other projects ported there. Not sure if any of those are possible legally, though - but I think having more than just the mobile version on there would be ideal.

Anyhow, either way I myself am still in favor of the steam mobile version if it even remotely introduces (or perhaps more pertinently re-introduces) players to the series... just hope a few more folks get to see the truly insane side of Wonderland. :)
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
David
Gold Wonderlander

Post by David » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:15 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was waiting to announce:

At long last, Wonderland is available on Steam! It’s in beta status, so you’ll need a Steam key to access it. If you want to join the beta (which includes a free lifetime license), please submit the Beta Test Signup form.

Here’s some information about Wonderland on Steam:

The Steam edition is a PC game, not a mobile port. It uses the keyboard and mouse, and has no mobile artifacts – there are no UI “bubbles”, ads, energy, IAPs, or joystick. Patrick has played it, and his first comments were how smooth it was, and how much more natural it felt to use the keyboard rather than a joystick.

The marquis feature of the Steam edition (and the reason Patrick agreed to its release) is its Level Editor. This is a brand-new, built-from-scratch, full-screen editor. It’s integrated with the game, so you can play a level while you’re editing it and edit a level you’re playing (though you can only save it to a new custom level – you can’t use the Level Editor to cheat). The Level Editor supports importing levels created for the original game and managing custom graphics (backgrounds, houses, models, and styles).

You can import custom graphics built for the original game, but due to changes in technology in the last twenty years, it’s necessary to edit custom models and styles before they can be imported. Detailed instructions are in the Level Editor help.

You can export custom levels in the form of a .loof file, which includes the level file and any custom graphics it uses. You can distribute a .loof file like any other file, and import one with the Level Editor. Patrick will shortly be setting up a Wonderland Forum channel for discussion and distribution of S&L levels.

One thing you can’t yet do with a .loof file is import it into the mobile game. This will take a new release of the mobile game that I’ll begin working on once the Steam beta is running smoothly. I’m expecting to release mobile in the April-May timeframe.

BTW, the Steam edition includes every level from the classic trilogy. It also includes the platinum deluxe levels (called “Beyond Wonderland” in the game), Wonderland 101, and the Fifth Anniversary level set.

I hope you like it, and I’m looking forward to your comments!
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:29 pm

I've sent my beta signup letter!
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:00 pm

I have a phone that can actually load this game now if I chose to, but what does mobile have to do with steam, isn't steam pc only?
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:11 am

They Are the same code, etc.
both are built with unity and scripted in c#
Steam is PC a online store platform for Windows, MacOS
Cheers, Cyndanera