S&L — Warp Gate model

Moderators: Stinky, David

Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

S&L — Warp Gate model

Post by Sammy_P » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:41 pm

Hey David, is there a reason why the warp gate model is um... not the way it is now?

This one keeps throwing me off because it just stands out so much from the original model, not to mention the game's artstyle. It's also a default model from the Unity Asset Store, which doesn't feel right, a stock model from 2016 for another engine in a remake of a 2002-2005 game really clashes stylistically.

I see you have a red linked sphere in it, but like, that and the default warp gate are fairly different in size, texture, not to mention the warp gate's moving texture. If it's *too* similar you could just change the texture/effect on the warp gate, maybe even have it be a slightly different red, I dunno.

[gif from WonderPlus]

I dunno, this just doesn't feel the same:
David
Gold Wonderlander

Re: S&L — Warp Gate model

Post by David » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:37 pm

The reason for changing the warp gate model is that IMO the original is too similar to a red link sphere. Yeah, you can see differences if you look at them side by side, but in a new level with scattered red spheres, you have to look closely to see which is which. I thought this was a flaw in the original game from the very first time I saw a warp gate. Every other object in the game is colorful and distinctive. Why is a warp gate a sphere at all, much less one with the same colors as one of the link spheres?

But I understand where you're coming from and I'm not in love with the model I chose. I'll give it some thought, and I'm open to suggestions.
David
Gold Wonderlander

Post by David » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:08 pm

After thinking further about this, I've addressed it by enlarging and rotating the red sphere that's embedded in the Warp Gate. This brings it closer to the original game, while preserving the goals of distinguishing a Warp Gate from a Link Sphere, and making the Warp Gate look menacing. This is in V2.903 that was published today. Here's what a Warp Gate looks like now. Hope you like it better:
David
Gold Wonderlander

Post by David » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:28 am

...and after some further debate on Discord, I've replaced the crystal with [a spiked sphere: