Wierdest looking sky

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Bearsland
Rainbow Master

Wierdest looking sky

Post by Bearsland » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:23 pm

Well it took long enough (about 8 hours), but the smoke from this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4517962.stm

has finally started pouring over where I live.

The sky has had the strangest look I have ever seen. Beautiful blue sky with a red tint through it to the South West and North East with this thick, incredibly Jet Black line running straight down the middle of it.

I can't imagine how dark it must be for the people who live right next to this; I'm about 20 miles away and believe me, we are talking seriously Black. It got so dark, the street lights came on an hour early. :shock:

Very wierd!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Teri1255
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Teri1255 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:48 am

I had slightly heard about this earlier today, but never watched the news. Thanks for bringing this to the fore-front. I hope that it doesn't cause too many breathing problems in that area or the surrounding areas. :(
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:14 am

I have been watching this on TV all day.

Your description of the sky is just what I saw, from the far shots. The fire ball was beyond belief.
May everyone be OK.
Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:36 am

I thought it had spread 'up t'north' when I got up this morning, it was so dark.......then I realised I had got up an hour early. :oops:

They're saying it could keep burning for days, the firemen can't put it out.

They're also warning people not to go out if not necessary and keep all your windows and doors closed cos the fumes are toxic. Very bad for anyone with asthma.

Hope all you down that way are ok and aren't shrouded in smog.
Pauline
Liz Mayhew
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by Liz Mayhew » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:34 pm

I live 6 miles from the blast zone. Most people in my road were woken up by it. I went walking about 4 miles away across the hills and I could see it still burning, a huge column of smoke - today drifting towards the west as the wind direction has changed. The air smells of burning.

Thank goodness it happened on a Sunday, so very few people were around.

All the schools within a 10 mile radius are closed - of course the children are very upset about this! :lol: :lol:
Lizzie

To err is human,
To arr is pirate!
amy25
Rainbow Star

Post by amy25 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:05 pm

I bet they were upset :lol: :lol: Take things easy Liz and don't do too many things outside if you don't have to.
If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere, you have to wake up and pay attention.