2010 FIFA World Cup- South Africa

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:08 am

It was pretty quiet here in the little town in the NL after they lost the final game, (much more quiet then before the game) and to be honest, I'm not sad about it. They used to yell in the streets and make big noise with those terrible orange plastic trumpets (or whatever those things may be called). Lots of people are going mad when there is world (or European) championship football, but I think it's just a game.

Interesting fact is that if I'm right, except for Germany (and England, which is only a part of a country) in every winning country so far, Roman-based languages are spoken. So maybe they should learn to speak Italian or Spanish if they want to win the world cup football. :lol:
dlcs18 wrote:I am 99% sure that billy bob lives in the UK like I do. In the UK we call it football, and billy bob's time zone is the same as mine. (when he posts that it's a certain time, it's also that same time for me)
I think in most places it's called football, except for the US because they use to call American football, simply "football", which is not quite logical in my opinion, for in American football they use to touch the ball also with their hands if I'm right.

[Off Topic]I think there are also many places in Africa with the same timezone as the UK, but that probably also depends on wintertime/summertime/DST.[/]
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Marinus wrote:Lots of people are going mad when there is world (or European) championship football, but I think it's just a game.
I agree. It is incredibly unnecessary to go insane over something like that.
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:56 am

billy bob wrote:
Marinus wrote:Lots of people are going mad when there is world (or European) championship football, but I think it's just a game.
I think its completely logical to be extremely enthusiastic about a game you really like and your country is in the final of the the world cup.

@Marinus: England is a country :wink:
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:25 am

ben-09 wrote:England is a country :wink:
There are so many hazy meanings of the word "country", that every area on Earth can be called both ways: a country or a part of a country.

But, just in case you didn't know: England, Wales, Scotland, and North Ireland are all parts of the country/state/nation/whatever you may call it: United Kingdom, in sort of the same way as Texas, California (and all the others) are parts of the United States of America.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:03 pm

I think of it as that England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are all countries inside a bigger country that is the UK.

BTW: Once, I saw a game machine in some restaurant, and it was a football game showing players from several countries, and when it said "England" it actually had the UK flag instead of the England flag. :lol:
dlcs18
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:30 pm

In the NL there are also lots of people during the football championship, who use to say: Hup Holland hup!! when they actually mean: Nederland. However, Holland is just 2 of the 12 provences of the NL. The same way some people use to say England when they actually mean GB, or the UK.

I didn't know this before, but I read last week when I searched a bit on Wikipedia about the FIFA, that the UK only wanted to join the FIFA if they could have 4 teams, 1 for each part. That way I think the UK is an exception because all other countries (nations with their own government, such as a kingdom, republic, empire or so) have only 1 team though, if I'm right.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:06 pm

ben-09 wrote:
billy bob wrote:
I think it's completely logical to be extremely enthusiastic about a game you really like and your country is in the final of the the world cup.
I said it was unnecessary to go insane over that not it was unnecessary to be enthusiastic over that.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:33 pm

billy bob wrote:
ben-09 wrote:
billy bob wrote:
I think it's completely logical to be extremely enthusiastic about a game you really like and your country is in the final of the the world cup.
I said it was unnecessary to go insane over that not it was unnecessary to be enthusiastic over that.
You know, people can use different words to imply the same thing, and in this case "going insane over it" is the same as "being extremely enthusiastic about it".
dlcs18
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:50 pm

I think that depends on.....

.... if they only have a big party in their own living room, or in another building with the windows closed, and noise-isolation in the walls and floors to make sure not to bother other people,....

..... or walking drunk over the streets in the middle of the night, waking up everyone in the neighborhood, and destroying everything they can.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:40 am

dlcs18 wrote:
billy bob wrote:
ben-09 wrote:
billy bob wrote:
You know, people can use different words to imply the same thing, and in this case "going insane over it" is the same as "being extremely enthusiastic about it".
It does not imply the same thing. Extreme enthusiasm is not the same as insanity.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:41 am

If you meant literal insanity, I'm scared.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:45 am

Nobody wrote:If you meant literal insanity, I'm scared.
Well, no. But it seriously sounds like insanity. They still aren't the same.