Emily didn't fizzle

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Gen
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Gen » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:58 am

You know Cathy, I learned something this past weekend when we lost power. I had bought a package of "Glow Sticks" the previous week - just to try out. One 6 inch stick "glows" for 12 hours. It gives off enough light to walk around without running into anything and if you lay it on the page, there is enough light to read by. It gives off about as much light as a night light. Much safer than candles and cheaper than batteries. Believe me, I am going to stock up on them now.
the cat
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by the cat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:07 am

I had no idea, they work that good.

I'm going to get some, We have black outs all the time.

Thanks Gen.
O"Cathy"X's
Original Member#563

Proud member of FOWL, Ramblers,PITA,CNC,CLUBS
ann3120
Rainbow Star

Post by ann3120 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:07 am

Interesting. What are Glow Sticks ? ? ? ?
Mrs. Annie Purple Hat
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:10 am

That's a good idea, Gen. I hadn't though about them, but that would work great. I'd still need some kind of flashlight or lantern, though for the various tasks I find myself doing even without power (like cooking or washing up). For personal lights, though, they would certainly be cheaper. :D
SharonM
the cat
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by the cat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:14 am

Ann I think you can get them at a place like toys are us.
and some dollar store have them.

What do you say Gen. were is the best place to get them.
Last edited by the cat on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
O"Cathy"X's
Original Member#563

Gen
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Gen » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 am

Ann, the ones I bought are 6 inches long, about 1/2 inch in diameter, made of plastic with liquid inside. There is also some other liquid inside a glass tube inside. You have to bend the stick to break the inside glass, shake it and it glows - like a lightning bug. The ones I have glow green. One end has a hook on it so you can hang it up too. Each lasts 12 hours. I have flashlights too, but you would only have to use them occasionally. I found them in the grocery store, but I would imagine hardware stores would have them also. Maybe sport stores too.
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:20 am

I saw some in the camping section at WalMart, too. Actually, the camping section is a good place to look for things you might want to put in your box. Also the Army surplus store for things like MRIs if you really want to be prepared. :D
SharonM
twohappylane
Rainbow Wizard

Post by twohappylane » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:07 pm

Ann, what part of South Texas are you in? I live in Del Rio which is about 150 miles west of San Antonio, right on the Rio Grande and the Mexican border. The last time we had a hurricane come up the Rio Grande we got tornadoes and LOTS of rain ~ something we could use right now!! (Rain ~ NOT the tornadoes! :D ) No lifes were lost though some homes were damaged. We DID have Tropical Storm Charlie drop enough water here that we had a major disaster!! Anyway, if you ARE on the coast be careful!

Susan
ann3120
Rainbow Star

Post by ann3120 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:25 pm

We had a major rain and thunderstorm during the night - which was sort of nice because we definitely need lots of rain (but no tornados, thank you very much) and the storm was also a problem because our power went off at 4:15am and has been back on just about one hour. Light Sticks? Might have been nice, but luckily we slept through the dark bits, and don't need them in the daylight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The rain has kept the temperature down - it's a "cool" 83F instead of 10 degrees or more hotter.

Susan, hopefully Emily shouldn't bother you too much. We are tracking her course very carefully, and so far it looks as though she should stay pretty much to the south, maybe south of Brownsville. We live in Rockport, which is about 40 miles north of Corpus Christi. Yes, we're right on the coast, but at least there are barrier islands and quite a wide bay between us and the Gulf. With luck we'll get wind and rain but shouldn't get a storm surge. Of course, things could change very dramatically once she passes over Cozumel and the Yucatan Peninsula, but they seem to think she'll follow the same path as others - namely Gilbert - who were on the same track.

Will keep you posted, but it looks as though we should be OK. Thank you so much for asking about us.
Mrs. Annie Purple Hat
the cat
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by the cat » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:16 pm

Glad you are still on deck :lol:
O"Cathy"X's
Original Member#563

dylan1298
Rainbow Wizard

1 more mile

Post by dylan1298 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:50 pm

Emily is 1 mile from a Cat 5- The projected path is most of mexico with the southern most tip of Texas in it's path- I'm not familar with the state of Texas so I don't know where exactly you S. Texas people are, but I hope your not near. I hope she doesn't shift course. That's sad to say I"m glad it's not me and some one else, but I bet they said the same thing about us at one time or another. I will pray for them in mexico and for u wonderlanders in her way or near her. Stay safe and if you have to evacuate, please let us know when you are back and safe!
D's MOM
LISA
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Davimad » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:13 pm

I was in Cozumel a few years ago and the people were really friendly, here's hoping they and all of our Wonderlanders stay safe.

Ann, throw that purple hat at it, that will surely do the trick. :wink:

Thinking of you with fingers crossed. x
Minnie. (Polly's big sis)

Image Thanks to Kymmie.
drushing
Rainbow AllStar

Post by drushing » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:39 am

Hi All. Just checking in to say thanks for all the encouraging words about Emily! We have been off line because of the thunderstorms Ann referred to earlier. Lightning strikes have been a problem for us in the past so we shut down most of our electronics (especially the computer) during bad storms. We did enjoyed the rain though! We are about 75 miles inland from Corpus Christi and are watching Emily very closly. Almost a CAT 5 already. We should be spared if she keeps on the current track. We will keep you up to date with our plans too.
the cat
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by the cat » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:44 am

thanks Donna, We do have that Wart. Called Worrie.
O"Cathy"X's
Original Member#563