Game Maker Help

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
SuperTron
Silver Wonderlander

Game Maker Help

Post by SuperTron » Sun May 09, 2010 9:56 pm

How Do You Make Keyboard Controled Charaters?
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sun May 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Please read the tutorial. It's helpful.
she/her | Sayori#2285
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:12 pm

I find it very surprising that you don't know how to program actions on key presses when you know how to program actions on mouse buttons.

But here's a pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlcs18
SuperTron
Silver Wonderlander

Post by SuperTron » Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 pm

OK But What Do We Use For The Controlled Move Part?
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:48 pm

If you are talking about the action you use to make it move...
1. It's also shown in the above picture.
2. You should already know how to move something since I've seen it done in one of your earlier attempts at making a game.
dlcs18
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri May 28, 2010 2:41 pm

Open up object. Type in the name of the object. Use a sprite for it. Then press add event. select key press. select up. The add an event thingie that is MOVED FIXED. selct the up arrow, and set the speed. press OK, use the same concept for other keys. You are done.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:20 pm

LittleZbot wrote:Open up object. Type in the name of the object. Use a sprite for it. Then press add event. select key press. select up. The add an event thingie that is MOVED FIXED. selct the up arrow, and set the speed. press OK, use the same concept for other keys. You are done.
Keep in mind, LittleZbot, that if you want to make your games a little more professional, this makes a horrible movement engine. There are many other simple methods that behave better and allow for more features, such as diagonal movement, full 360-degree angle movement, platformers or even race car movement. All that can be easily done with Game Maker, no extensions needed and you don't even need the Pro version to use these ways.

For beginners, however, the way you suggested is good enough.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sat May 29, 2010 12:08 am

Blast!10 wrote:
LittleZbot wrote:Open up object. Type in the name of the object. Use a sprite for it. Then press add event. select key press. select up. The add an event thingie that is MOVED FIXED. selct the up arrow, and set the speed. press OK, use the same concept for other keys. You are done.
Keep in mind, LittleZbot, that if you want to make your games a little more professional, this makes a horrible movement engine. There are many other simple methods that behave better and allow for more features, such as diagonal movement, full 360-degree angle movement, platformers or even race car movement. All that can be easily done with Game Maker, no extensions needed and you don't even need the Pro version to use these ways.

For beginners, however, the way you suggested is good enough.
Question, question. HOW DO YOU DO THOSE THINGS?!!
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:38 pm

There you go, four example engines. I'm not really sure if the race car one works with GM Lite, though, so disregard my last post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Bump.

Can anyone give me a .gmk or at least a pointer on how to make Game Maker read and write to external save files? Like, when the file is read during gameplay, the game finds the coordinates of the character from addresses $00 and $01 of the file and places the character there?