Higurashi (Umineko) no Naku Koro ni (Kai) (not PG?)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:02 pm

~xpr'd~ wrote:Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 2.

It scared me so much more than the whole Arc 5 of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Now... that's really worrying. Higurashi's episode 21 from the first season was the only thing I've ever seen that made me go into my room and curl up in a ball, just sitting there like that... 15 minutes.

And since I plan on checking out the original VN games, which are supposed to be both better and scarier, for both Higurashi and Umineko...

Uh-oh.

Uh-oh.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Saying that Umineko is worse than Higurashi is pretty accurate.

By Episode 2, six out of eighteen of the protagonists are already... yeah.

Oh, and then of course there's the Manga adaptations of Higurashi. I picked up Chapter 1 of Himatsubushi-hen (Time Killing chapter/the Akasaka arc), and oh god it's scary.

It also establishes (somewhat) Ooishi's relation to the dam construction manager.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Saying that Umineko is worse than Higurashi is pretty accurate.

Oh, and then of course there's the Manga adaptations of Higurashi. I picked up Chapter 1 of Himatsubushi-hen (Time Killing chapter/the Akasaka arc), and oh god it's scary.

It also establishes (somewhat) Ooishi's relation to the dam construction manager.
Well, all I'll say is I was able to get the original VN games in their English versions... I'm going to read them quite soon.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:11 am

Where from? Off the internet?

I'd love to get the complete Higurashi When They Cry series in Japanese (English Patch, original awesome music, etc.), but I don't know where to look.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:38 am

DP
Muzozavr wrote:One, the reviews are pretty much identical: unlike the Higurashi anime adaptation, which kept the main plot, the characterization, and the main themes mostly intact (yes, it has a few logical holes since stuff was cut out, but it's still awesome) the Umineko anime SUCKED as an adaptation, completely derailing the original characters and leaving out information. So, I plan to just check out the original VN games, especially since 6 out of 7 are already fan-translated by Witch Hunt. I can't confirm anything, though, because I haven't seen the anime version of Umineko, but I'll assure you it's gotten to the point where people, including those who liked the Higurashi anime are saying "there is no Umineko anime".
Yeah, Umineko's anime is an awful adaptation, for sure, but IMO, it stands well on its own as a show.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:26 am

Qloof234 wrote:Saying that Umineko is worse than Higurashi is pretty accurate.

I think it's worse in the sense that more people die, but I can't agree with ~xpr'd~ that it's creepier than Higurashi arc 5. Muzo, you'll have to judge for yourself how scary Umineko ep2 is. :P
Qloof234 wrote:Yeah, Umineko's anime is an awful adaptation, for sure, but IMO, it stands well on its own as a show.
I don't know anything about the games since I haven't been bothered to find any working english translations (either), but I agree with the latter.

Umineko is quite creepy, but after the first few arcs it gets less creepy and more... awesome, like Higurashi-arc-6-awesome. I've only watched the anime once (as opposed to Higurashi which has been like 3 times), but I do remember that episode 18 was really ingenious. I actually need to watch it again, considering how enthralling it was.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:09 am

I was thinking of something to compare Umineko to, and I finally got it - the Ace Attorney series.

In Ace Attorney, the objective is to explain locked room mysteries where the only possible culprit is the person you're defending (one case even deals with the room being locked). In Umineko, Battler is trying to explain seemingly impossible cases (with about 4,325,354 locked rooms) with human logic.

Dramatic finger pointing included in both, even! :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:48 am

Qloof234 wrote:Where from? Off the internet?

I'd love to get the complete Higurashi When They Cry series in Japanese (English Patch, original awesome music, etc.), but I don't know where to look.
First of all, you CANNOT get them in Japanese and then apply "english patches". Those do not exist, aside from an incomplete one that does arc 1 and a part of arc 2. The english versions by Mangagamer are on a different engine and the backport currently does not exist. You have to apply "original music" and "original sounds" patches to the Mangagamer version, instead.

Second, I've already seen a torrent of it on a russian tracker (the one I used) so I guess english trackers should already have it as well. If they don't have it, I'll PM you the link, but beware -- the torrent is pretty damn huge. Like 10 GB if you include both Higurashi and Umineko (currently 6 are translated, 7th is either out or will be out soon in JAP, and then they're going to start translating it) and all the higurashi tweaks and higurashi/umineko motion graphics bonuses.
(with about 4,325,354 locked rooms)
WHAAAAAAAT??! Can you even HAVE so many?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:41 am

Muzozavr wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Where from? Off the internet?

First of all, you CANNOT get them in Japanese and then apply "english patches". Those do not exist, aside from an incomplete one that does arc 1 and a part of arc 2. The english versions by Mangagamer are on a different engine and the backport currently does not exist. You have to apply "original music" and "original sounds" patches to the Mangagamer version, instead.
... Oh yeah. :lol:

Either way, I might try picking them up in English and Japanese - English so I can understand it and Japanese to help spur me along with learning it.
Muzozavr wrote:
(with about 4,325,354 locked rooms)
WHAAAAAAAT??! Can you even HAVE so many?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, I kinda lost count after the first seven or so, but regardless - Umineko uses the "they were in a locked room and only X people had the key" idea an awful lot.

Regardless, the Umineko anime is epic. I'd check it out, Adaptation Decay or not. :wink:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:17 pm

I've started reading Onikakushi-hen right now. I've applied the music/sound patches (used the stable version of the sound patches, a few sounds remain the Mangagamer ones, but it won't crash) and the UI patch. I've also tried to apply the font patch, but it doesn't seem to work... well, screw that, it's still readable.

So, what can I say? I thought the art and the occasional spelling mistakes in the MG translation might be a problem... hell no. Atmospheric? A lot more than the anime, for sure. Remember the opening scene from the first episode? Well, guess what -- here it's only text and sound effects. No blood or anything, we don't see it. But instead we get to know Keiichi's thoughts at that moment. Much more effective.

I cringed and cringed and cringed.

As for the whole thing... no voice actors, no animation, weird character art... and yet the atmosphere (so far) is actually stronger. If this is a sign of things to come, Meakashi-hen is going to mess me up badly.

Plus, the comedy parts (I'm currently there, Satoko is immediately established as a trap-master BTW, in the anime it was only seen in later arcs) are much better than in the anime, since there's none of that annoying "rapid fire comedy" thing. In the VN, it's absolutely hilarious! :lol:

Back to reading...
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:28 am

Sounds really fun. :twisted: Where did you get these anyway? Could you perhaps PM me with some info about the whereabouts of the VN's you're playing?

I just downloaded the entirety of the Umineko no Naku Koro ni anime, english subbed, for my plane trip tomorrow. I'm going to a family reunion in Kansas for a week, so I won't be around much. Not that I post very regularly anyway. :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:33 pm

I planned to finish reading and then reupload it "assembled" (because the Mangagamer version has to be patched quite a bit if you want it to be good) but it's OK. I'll PM the links to you and Qloof234.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:54 pm

PATRIOTISM!!!
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Muzozavr wrote:I planned to finish reading and then reupload it "assembled" (because the Mangagamer version has to be patched quite a bit if you want it to be good) but it's OK. I'll PM the links to you and Qloof234.
Awesome, thanks. :D
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:02 pm

AAARRRGGGGGHHHH! :x

Just found out that the "original music patches" for Kai (on the higurashi fix wiki) are incomplete and the complete ones don't exist. :(

Wanna guess why?

Because *BEEP* Mangagamer replaced some DIFFERENT tracks with THE *BEEP* SAME track over and over. Not IDENTICAL (like in the first game) but THE SAME track. Under the same name.

Since the "start music" triggers are in the script, which is packed with other stuff in the ARC files, it means that until we get the script in it's "extracted" form from the Editorashi guys... no complete music/sound patch can be done.

I will still play Kai when I get to that point, the story in the anime is just too epic and the VNs (from what I've seen of Onikakushi and heard of others) are even better... but DAMN YOU MANGAGAMER!

Dammit... dammit... dammit... :cry:

I hope the replacements+incompleteoriginalmusicpatch result isn't too bad...

Here's some good news as well. If you're bugged by the spelling mistakes in the translation (there are quite a few) you can try this out:

http://editorashi.freewebhostx.com/

It's supposed to fix the most glaring mistakes in the Mangagamer translation. I don't want to restart my Onikakushi reading and I doubt my save file will load after this patch is applied... but I might use this when I read Watanagashi, Tatarigoroshi and Himatsubushi.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:12 am

Ah, that sucks.

In somewhat related news, I just finished Episode 14 of Umineko - and oh my GOD the Anime makes me think of the Ace Attorney series sooo much.

It might be a bad adaptation, but holy wow it's an epic series
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm right after the phone call between Keiichi and Ooishi in the first arc.

This is seriously creepy. Despite the fact that I already know the final answer and some of the potential scares fall flat, the overall atmosphere is more than enough to creep me out. And the additional "details" I didn't know before help keep it suspenseful.

I actually regret watching the anime now. The anime was good on it's own... but it sucks as an adaptation. Trying to compress this suspenseful atmosphere into only four episodes is just a terrible idea, trust me.

Whenever I have time, I'm going to continue reading.

Seriously, none of the truly scary events have even happened yet... and the VN already scares me.

Oh, and Rena's "cat eyes"? They're there (called "the eyes of an eagle" by Keiichi) and they're done better than in the anime. I can't believe that, because the anime art looks better... but in the anime, those eyes were too over-the-top. Even for an anime character, those were definitely impossible eyes for a human to have and Rena's smile was fairly evil at those moments. In the VN, the eyes are just between normal and impossible, while being even more soulless than in the anime... and the smile stays the same. Looking at her kind smile and those eyes just feels wrong.

EDIT: I've got a large chunk of time right now and i'm gonna use it up on Higurashi. Which means... OMG I'm reading Higurashi at night??!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:30 pm

OK. Now I'm right after the door-finger-slamming scene. The scene makes more sense in the VN: after what Rena told him there, Keiichi had more than enough reasons to be paranoid.

After that, there was a TIP after that part that corresponds to a scene that wasn't in the anime at all... I know who Oyashiro-sama is but... DAAAAAAAAAAAMN. As soon as I reached scenes that weren't in the anime's arc 1 at all (excluding the cut comedic bits) it becomes scarier than anything from the anime's arc 1. It's about footsteps from behind and Rena's unusual knowledge. Executed in a way to make you as paranoid as possible. Despite me knowing the true nature of Oyashiro-sama... creepy. Creepy as hell.

How would it be if I wouldn't have seen the anime? The VN would probably be even scarier. Meakashi-hen (when I get to that point) is going to mess me up badly.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:11 am

Alright, I've started reading Onikakushi-Hen just now, and... I thought the music from the original Japanese version was removed...? Unless the iPod Touch version has Kai music as well. :?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:37 am

Qloof234 wrote:Alright, I've started reading Onikakushi-Hen just now, and... I thought the music from the original Japanese version was removed...? Unless the iPod Touch version has Kai music as well. :?
The PC version I linked you to has a musical patch. I have no idea about the iPod Touch version.

In the PC version the music was replaced, not removed.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:51 am

So... It's already applied? In that case, the iPod Touch version has the Japanese music. I love the soundtrack in this. :P

Also lolololol Mion, "I think the difficult game would be too hard for him"

YOU ALL LOST THE GAME *hides*
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:04 am

They replaced SOME music, remember that. Maybe the replacements are good enough to stay unnoticed.

Also, yeah the comedic part is actually entertaining in the VNs. It's also longer.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:24 am

Okay, so I just finished every episode of Umineko.

Considering the HUGE cliffhanger Episode 26 drops the watcher off at, I can't see why they wouldn't make Umineko Chiru into an anime (apart from Umineko's bad reception, of course).
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:31 am

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9798 ... cryoni.png

THOSE... EYES... HOLY @!$%

THIS SERIES IS GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF ME ONE OF THESE DAYS
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:00 am

I can't see why they wouldn't make Umineko Chiru into an anime
Because Umineko Chiru is not even finished yet. VN5 and VN6 are already out and translated by Witch-Hunt. VN7 is going to come out this month and then Witch-Hunt will start translating it. VN8 won't be out soon.
It's not actually all that bad when they're frowning like in the screen shot... but when they're smiling... then those eyes become truly frightening. Like I said, they're just between normal and impossible. And somehow, even more utterly soulless than in the anime.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
I can't see why they wouldn't make Umineko Chiru into an anime
Because Umineko Chiru is not even finished yet. VN5 and VN6 are already out and translated by Witch-Hunt. VN7 is going to come out this month and then Witch-Hunt will start translating it. VN8 won't be out soon.
I mean when the full series is out. I can see why they're not working on it now, of course, but when the full Chiru series has been released... I don't see why not.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:53 am

Muzozavr wrote:
It's not actually all that bad when they're frowning like in the screen shot... but when they're smiling... then those eyes become truly frightening. Like I said, they're just between normal and impossible. And somehow, even more utterly soulless than in the anime.
Agreed, I think the smiling shots scare me quite a bit more.
Qloof234 wrote:I mean when the full series is out. I can see why they're not working on it now, of course, but when the full Chiru series has been released... I don't see why not.
Even though Umineko no Naku Koro ni is confusing as an anime, I would enjoy having more to watch. I watched the first arc again with my sister on my airplane ride today, and enjoyed it as much as before. I don't see why Umineko Chiru couldn't have an anime adaptation either; basically what I'm getting at is that I'm looking forward to it!

EDIT: I've decided, I'm going to try and install some of those VN's before I go to bed, even though it's late. I always put off installations that I presume are going to be at least mildly complicated, but it'll be nice to have the stuff available so I don't have to make it work later on!

EDIT2: Yikes, this is a lot of stuff to take in. Since I don't have too much free time this summer before going off to college, I may just end up getting the Umineko VN's, and not the Higurashi ones. I feel like there's probably a lot more stuff they left out of the former's anime adaptation, that I want to learn about. I'll try my hand at some of this tomorrow...
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Since Umineko still has the japanese installer (and then a translation patch is used) you might have to use AppLocale in order to be able to install it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

If that still doesn't work, they say you can copy the remaining files manually if you keep the folder structure the same. I haven't even touched Umineko for now, I'm too busy with Higurashi. :lol:

... so. I've just finished Onikakushi-hen.

Paranoia-inducing. The final phone call is given from Ooishi's point of view. A good idea, but I do like Studio DEEN's storyboarding... that swinging phone receiver with blood stains on it creates a truly nightmarish impression. I can't decide which version of that particular scene was more awesome.

Otherwise, the VN wins. Totally and definitely. It's scarier, it has more inner monologues for Keiichi, it contains more of EVERYTHING in general, it makes more sense, Keiichi has much better reasons for being paranoid, his paranoia fits his personality better in the VN...

Judging by Onikakushi, the anime version is far weaker. Try the VN and you won't regret.

There's an awesome extra after you finish Onikakushi, an "all-cast review section". Each time you finish an arc, that arc appears in the extra. Everyone talks as if they're simply playing roles of certain characters and they don't even know the full story themselves. Here the "actors" are arguing about the story and it's pretty damn funny. I love it! :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:57 am

bump.

Finished Onikakushi-hen as well... I lol'd so hard at the after-credits scene with the entire cast. Especially Keiichi's thoughts about it. :lol:

As for the novel itself...

*insert huge psyduck here*

As for Umineko, I'm installing the Japanese version right now. I've heard rumors that it starts trolling the readers later as well. If that's true, this is gonna be fun as hell to read. :lol:

As for the anime. Finally revised my opinion of episode 26 of Umineko... Oh. My. God. So epic.

The anime adaptation might be a poor adaptation of the original novel, but as its own show, it rivals even Higurashi as far as the "pure epic factor" goes. Especially every time Battler points... So... every episode? :lol:

Also: What Umineko character are you quiz. Why? I dunno. I just felt like posting this.

My result:

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:39 am

*insert huge psyduck here*
Yes. Especially the "something about seventh mart" TIP. Oh my god that was scary as hell... even if you KNOW who Oyashiro-sama really is by watching the anime... DOES NOT HELP. :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT: LOL, I just tried the Umineko quiz and also got Battler. :lol:

Dammit, I really should start reading Watanagashi-hen now...

EDIT 2: I've just realized that one of the reasons why the VN is so damn creepy is purely the "interface". I'm playing with the "noframe" patch so I don't have the access to the auto mode. When I watch something creepy, I almost always end up interlocking my hands and grasping them tighter, you can't do that with a VN, you have to keep pressing ENTER.