ignore this topic, do not reply

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Marinus wrote:About the quote bubbles, we'll never know, since there were only 2 posts, which were actually not related to each other.
It was probably your choice if you wanted yours related to another or not.

Back on topic or abandon topic.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 pm

BB wrote:It was probably your choice if you wanted yours related to another or not.
I think that's always the case on each thread on a forum. Everyone has the choice to say something related to the other posts, or not. But in this case the title or first post didn't say anything about game-rules if I'm right.
:o Wait a minute; Are you telling what we should do now? :wink:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am

Marinus wrote:
:o Wait a minute; Are you telling what we should do now? :wink:
Well...
Midnight Synergy wrote:Stay On-Topic
This forum has two purposes - (i) to allow you to discuss the Wonderland games, get help on levels, and share custom level creations, and (ii) to meet and interact with friends you have made on this forum. For most forum sections, it is important that you keep posts on-topic for each thread. Remember that this is a valuable internet resource for many players, and that its value will be diminished if too many posts go off-topic (i.e. try to keep the "signal-to-noise" ratio good). The "Off-Topic" and "Meet & Greet" areas have been specifically created for your need to socialize and just be silly.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Shot by Bob. :lol:
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Maybe you didn't read the last line very well:
The "Off-Topic" and "Meet & Greet" areas have been specifically created for your need to socialize and just be silly.
And of course, if it's about a thread where still people are talking about the original subject, I think it,s better not to talk too much off-topic, even in the off-topic section, to avoid 2 different discussions in the same thread, but I didn't see much pirate talking the last days, so what's your point?

It reminds me a bit that you, and sometimes some more people use to say something like: Let's stop posting in this topic, which seems quite illogical to me, because they do the opposite of what they say.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Marinus wrote:Maybe you didn't read the last line very well:
Midnight Synergy wrote:The "Off-Topic" and "Meet & Greet" areas have been specifically created for your need to socialize and just be silly.
And of course, if it's about a thread where still people are talking about the original subject, I think it's better not to talk too much off-topic, even in the off-topic section, to avoid 2 different discussions in the same thread, but I didn't see much pirate talking the last days, so what's your point?
MS says don't be off-topic. It's simple as that. And, Playing with the quote bubbles got locked and that was silly. So I don't understand but I presumed because the locking of Playing with the quote bubbles happened after that rule was created, MS has now changed his or her mind.
Marinus wrote:It reminds me a bit that you, and sometimes some more people use to say something like: Let's stop posting in this topic, which seems quite illogical to me, because they do the opposite of what they say.
If you don't post that then others will post and it will continue. If you say "Let's stop posting in this topic." then that will be the last post in that topic.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:57 pm

Just stop making it an disscussion about rules only please. :arrow:
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:59 pm

^_^ wrote:Just stop making it an discussion about rules only please.
This topic isn't about the rules all I am doing is pointing out the rules.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:59 pm

But you two are offtopicing.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:05 pm

^_^ wrote:But you two are off-topicing.
And I can only stop if you all stop.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:06 pm

What?
You first. 8)
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 pm

^_^ wrote:What?
You first.
That's because I hoped that everyone would realize that I was right and would stop the entire topic instead of lots of arguing to occur.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm

BACK ON TOPIC
[/angry]
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 pm

billy bob wrote:I hoped that everyone would realize that I was right
*muffled sigh*
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 pm

^_^ If you don't like the discussion that BB and I have here, but you've nothing interesting to say which is really on-topic either, then I suggest you stay away from this topic.

However, if there are some people who want to have a good discussion about pirate-language-day, then BB and I can consider to have our discussion somewhere else. Since it seems there is no pirate-stuff to be talked about at the moment, I suggest BB, we should just ignore ^_^, who has actually nothing to say.

BB wrote:So I don't understand but I presumed because the locking of Playing with the quote bubbles happened after that rule was created, MS has now changed his or her mind.
I agree, and I also don't quite understand what's Patrick's criterium if a topic is just a little bit silly, or really too silly so it has to be locked, but that's up to Patrick. I actually don't have a problem that he locked that topic.

Also I think it's better if you really have something to talk about, even though it's off-topic (like you (BB) and I do here), then if people actually have nothing to say, but still on-topic. (like the quote bubbles.

If you don't post that then others will post and it will continue.
So what? If you don't think it's interesting, then just stay away from that topic, and click the link: stop watching this topic ( actually about the same I said to ^_^ at the beginning of this post, about this topic)
If you say "Let's stop posting in this topic." then that will be the last post in that topic.
Then you don't know me very well. :lol: If someone is acting as if he/she is the boss, it's mostly a reason for me, not to do what they say. Unless the one who said that is really the boss, and locked the topic. :wink:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Nobody, do you really believe a muffled sigh would help? I think not even a scream would help, but maybe a good debate with reasonable, logical arguments would help. And that's just what I like. :D
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Marinus wrote:Also I think it's better if you really have something to talk about, even though it's off-topic (like you (BB) and I do here), then if people actually have nothing to say, but still on-topic (like the quote bubbles).
It's not about what you think; this is not your forum. The topic subject is about pirate talk. That is what this topic was designed for. And we're talking about something completely different, which, by definition, is off-topic. And of course the rules say not to be off-topic.
Marinus wrote:
If you don't post that then others will post and it will continue.
So what? If you don't think it's interesting, then just stay away from that topic, and click the link: stop watching this topic (actually about the same I said to ^_^ at the beginning of this post, about this topic).
If you say "Let's stop posting in this topic." then that will be the last post in that topic.
Then you don't know me very well. If someone is acting as if he/she is the boss, it's mostly a reason for me, not to do what they say. Unless the one who said that is really the boss, and locked the topic.
I'm just reminding you that if we do continue we will be breaking the rules.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:35 pm

You already are - offtopicing.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:01 pm

^_^ wrote:You already are off-topic-ing.
That's because I can't stop posting unless you stop. I tried to get you all to stop by saying "Back on topic or abandon topic.", but that didn't work.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:13 pm

BB, Let's be happy that you were not a German soldier during the 2nd world war. They (or at least some of them) used to say: "Befehl ist Befehl" (rules are rules; No matter what happens, the rules must be followed) and then shot the Jews or sent them on a train to Auschwitz.

I'm not sure what's your age, but let's say you are 18 and you drive the car to bring your girlfriend to the hospital. She's very ill, and will die if she's not in 15 minutes in the hospital. The rules say: you may not drive faster then 50 kph. But you know, if you keep the rule, your girlfriend will die. What would you do, keep the rules or not?

BTW the rules don't say not to be off-topic; they say:
For most forum sections, it is important that you keep posts on-topic for each thread
and that's something different then: No matter what happens, you must stay on-topic at all subforums.

I think you only see the rules without seeing the reasons behind them.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Marinus wrote:BB, Let's be happy that you were not a German soldier during the 2nd world war. They (or at least some of them) used to say: "Befehl ist Befehl" (rules are rules; No matter what happens, the rules must be followed) and then shot the Jews or sent them on a train to Auschwitz.
What? What you just said has nothing got to do with what we were just talking about.
Marinus wrote:I'm not sure what's your age, but let's say you are 18 and you drive the car to bring your girlfriend to the hospital. She's very ill, and will die if she's not in 15 minutes in the hospital. The rules say: you may not drive faster then 50 kph. But you know, if you keep the rule, your girlfriend will die. What would you do, keep the rules or not?
This is ridiculous. This has nothing got to do with what we were talking about.
Marinus wrote:BTW the rules don't say not to be off-topic; they say:
For most forum sections, it is important that you keep posts on-topic for each thread
and that's something different then: No matter what happens, you must stay on-topic at all subforums.

I think you only see the rules without seeing the reasons behind them.
Wait... Does the rule say to be on-topic for the forum section, instead of the topic?

P.S. I'm 12 (almost 13).
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:45 pm

I was trying to give a few examples of people who find rules the most important things in life, and that has everything to do with what you and I were talking about, since you seem to find rules more important then the reasons behind those rules, right?

But you didn't answer my question yet: If you were in that situation, would you keep the rules, going not faster then 50 kph?
Wait... Does the rule say to be on-topic for the forum section, instead of the topic?
[a little bit ironic, but not really un-friendly]Are you asking me? :shock: It seems you are the one who knows the rules perfectly, and how to apply them in every situation. :wink: [/....]

Please believe me; A rule is only important, if the reason behind it is important. And the reason of the "on-topic" rule, is not to disturb other people's on-topic discussion. But if a topic is "dead" and nobody has an on-topic discussion, that rule doesn't make sense, in that situation.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Marinus wrote:But you didn't answer my question yet: If you were in that situation, would you keep the rules, going not faster then 50 kph?
No. But those examples are very different than on the forum.
Marinus wrote:
[a little bit ironic, but not really un-friendly]Are you asking me? It seems you are the one who knows the rules...
I thought you thought I misunderstood that one.
Marinus wrote:Please believe me; A rule is only important, if the reason behind it is important.
Patrick never said that about those rules.
Marinus wrote:And the reason of the "on-topic" rule, is not to disturb other people's on-topic discussion. But if a topic is "dead" and nobody has an on-topic discussion, that rule doesn't make sense, in that situation.
Patrick never said that about those rules.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:20 pm

My examples are indeed a bit different then on the forum, actually a bit extreme, with the intention to make my point bright and clear.
I thought you thought I misunderstood that one.
To be honest, I didn't think anything, because I don't think it's very important.
Patrick never said that about those rules. 2 x
No, Patrick doesn't say so much, but since I'm talking with you now, it's not about what Patrick says, but what you think. Do you agree, or not, and if you don't agree, please tell me why.

Edit:
That's because I can't stop posting unless you stop.
Why can't you? Are you somebody else's slave then?
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Marinus wrote:
billy bob wrote:Patrick never said that about those rules. 2 x
No, Patrick doesn't say so much, but since I'm talking with you now, it's not about what Patrick says, but what you think. Do you agree, or not, and if you don't agree, please tell me why.
No. I really, really don't agree. If I think it is OK to break the rules and post several messages all saying the one word "pencil" then that is not OK. This is just the same except it's you thinking that it is OK to post off-topic messages as long as no one is posting about the real reason this topic exists.
Marinus wrote:
billy bob wrote:That's because I can't stop posting unless you stop.
Why can't you? Are you somebody else's slave then?
No. I just can't leave a post unanswered.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:32 pm

I see only the answer to my first question: Do you agree or not? Your answer is: No

But I don't see why you don't agree.
If I think it is OK to break the rules and post several messages all saying the one word "pencil" then that is not OK.
I agree. But that's quite different then the posts I wrote. If I made several posts with nothing but the word "pencil" then you would think: "Marinus is going to be crazy" right?

But I'm trying to have an interesting conversation with my good friend Billy Bob. :D That's quite different then posting nonsense like: pencil pencil pencil.
it's you thinking that it is OK to post off-topic messages as long as no one is posting about the real reason this topic exists.
Quite right! :D So, what's your problem with that? (And then, not about rules, but about your very own opinion!)
No. I just can't leave a post unanswered.
Let's see. This is the post you were answering:
Little kid with little brain wrote:You already are - offtopicing.
I see no question. As far as I know, someone can only answer, if someone else asked a question before. So why can't you leave a post unanswered, if nobody asks a question to be answered?
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 am

Sigh
Not so little.
I am not 3 or 5 or EVEN -1. :lol:
I am close to 12 though. And look at people's birthdays on da forum.
Most of them ARE KIDS.
I can't help about my age.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:01 am

I can't help about my age.
I have to agree with that. But in my opinion, you can help:

- interfering which things which are absolutely not your concern.
- saying things which everybody already knew for a long time.
- telling other people about rules, while you apparently have no idea what the reasons are for some rules.

Therefore I would like to suggest, if people have a serious discussion like BB and I have here, a few things. Before you post something there please ask yourself if:

- other people would find it interesting what you're going to say.
- other people not already know it.
- (and if it's about rules) if you can give a good explanation of that rule, and if you're sure that you know the intention / reason for such rule.

Or, with other words, please think a bit better, before you interfere with other people's discussion.

Thanks in advance. :)
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 am

To help getting back on topic:

FUNFACT: Facebook has English (Pirate) language available.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:14 am

Funny! :lol:

Does that mean, Tyteen, that you also have a problem with talking off-topic, even though there is nothing to talk on-topic, and that you especially for that reason, posted something on-topic?

In that case, would you please explain that to me? (in a different topic of course :wink: )