Looking for volunteers across the globe

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Looking for volunteers across the globe

Post by Loirae » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:36 pm

My mother is a second grade teacher in Michigan, USA. Her class is doing an interactive geography project where they've sent four stuffed animals into the world and hope to get post cards form all the locations these little fluffys visit. You can see more about the project here:
http://www.monashores.net/mcclainch/Ani ... ctures.htm

I have one in my possession and would love to have mom's class getting international mail. Cool stamps, foreign postmarks, broaden the kids' horizons. I would love to send one out to someone who is interested. Or if you are planning a trip to other places, you can send cards from all the places you take the bear (or, leave the bear at home and pretend he's with you :lol: )

I know the internet is a scary thing sometimes and people don't like to give out addresses. Some of you already have offline friendships (like from the conference) and may be able to send the bear to a friend. For anyone who is interested in doing this, I can send it to a home or to a Post Box if you are more comfortable. I only need one person who is willing to receive the bear and then pass it on. "Ted Bear" could have a wonderland whirlwind journey across the globe. Volunteers from the states are also welcome to give it a go.

If you don't want to have the bear, but want to send the class a postcard about the bear, the address to send to is listed at the link above.

I'll send it to the first person to contact me. So, if you want to drop a PM and see if anyone has already volunteered, that's ok.

Thanks to anyone willing.
Loirae
Bearsland
Rainbow Master

Re: Looking for volunteers across the globe

Post by Bearsland » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:03 pm

Loirae wrote:leave the bear at home and pretend he's with you
Sounds like my wife!!! :wink:
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:12 am

Oh, bear! I'd be afraid to send it to you! You might add it to your collection! :lol: Or, you could send a picture of Ted Bear hanging out with all his relatives at the big bear family reuinion! :lol: :lol:
Loirae
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Re: Looking for volunteers across the globe

Post by laura n. » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:20 am

Bearsland wrote:
Loirae wrote:leave the bear at home and pretend he's with you
Sounds like my wife!!! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: running for the Depends.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:06 pm

I've got two volunteers from the USA. I greatly appreciate it. I'd love to send this overseas, though so if there are any non-USA folk out there wiling to give this a try, let me know.

Thanks
Loirae
dylan1298
Rainbow Wizard

Post by dylan1298 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Loirae wrote:I've got two volunteers from the USA.
Does this mean you have more than one bear or will you send it to one of us and then we send it to the other?

PS..... As you read in my PM, I got a few customers overseas, so if you get no volunteers, let me know, and I'll see if one of them can help us out!
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:19 am

I send it to one person. that person sends it on. To other Wonderlanders, or to other friends.
Loirae
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:16 am

Well, Lisa I now know your the other volunteer in the U.S., if Loirae doesn't get any other volunteers you & I could work something out, I'd love to help out old Ted Bear. :wink: :D :D :D
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
dylan1298
Rainbow Wizard

Post by dylan1298 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:41 am

That would be great, it sounded like fun :) :) :) :) :)
Lillian
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Lillian » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:29 am

I would help you out Loirae - but we already have "Barnaby Bear" from Oliver's school coming here after school tomorrow for our trip to Eygpt (like I don't have enough luggage already :roll: :D ). Oliver will have to fill out Barnaby's diary when we return and hand him and it back to school a week later.

And guess what???? My other son Bertie will be bringing his class Bear home for Christmas - that's another stocking I will have to fill! :wink:

Sorry - but we are "all beared out" at the mo!

Good luck! :P
Lillie
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:42 pm

That's ok, Lillian.

Here's an idea, if you' are willing. And anyone else, too. You can send a postcard from Egypt to my mom's class telling them that Ted's cousin Barnaby went to Egypt and was sad that Ted couldn't join him. These are scond graders - 7 or 8 years old. They would totally belive it.

Anyone out there could send a postcard or letter to my mom's class (adddres below) saying how they had hoped for Ted to visit, it didn't work out, or they have a bear "relative" that is sending a card.

Churchill Elementary School
Mrs. McClain's Second Grade Class - room #2
961 Porter Road
Muskegon, Michigan 49441

It's more a geography lesson for these kids. And at that age, they can't imagine a world bigger than their own neighborhood, let alone other countries.

Thanks to all!
Loirae
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:29 am

Update: Ted is on his way to Northern Ireland.

Thanks to all who were willing to help and to any who still send mail to the kids.
Loirae
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:44 am

Loirae, My daughter Emily has a couple of Bear "cousins" that would be more that glad to send a postcard to the classroom, as a matter a fact we're planning a trip tomarrow to the pumpkin patch, so I could take a picture of the Bear "cousins" at the patch to include with the postcard. :D
Thanks for posting this, I LOVE this kind of stuff it's so FUN :D :D :D
(must be the kid in me) :wink:
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Davimad » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:45 pm

Ted has arrived safely and is now tucked up in bed.

I'll give you an update of his progress soon folks, he's a real chatterbox btw. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Minnie. (Polly's big sis)

Image Thanks to Kymmie.