Wonderland Adventures: Hidden Realms - Update Thread

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:52 am

So, I've got the results of the data recovery back, and the "lost" HR adventures are perfectly safe. Since I had to go through a ton of data anyways (most of it was junk), I've also rediscovered some older adventures - some from very, very long ago, and some earlier versions of current adventures. Interesting stuff!
Pawelec wrote:I have no idea how you do that Qloof, but some of your textures look like if they used bump mapping. I also like the way you make the noise in monochromatic textures. Well done.
Thanks! It'd be neat if things like bump mapping or reflections were possible in the WA engine, wouldn't it? :P
tucker27
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by tucker27 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Where r u in the hub
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:38 am

Wow, six months since an update, huh? Nice. About time for a status report, I think.

As hoped, the core story is more or less complete by this point. Hidden Realms officially has a "beginning" and an "end", and can be played through from start to finish.

Having said that, there's still quite a bit of work that needs to be done. There are side areas that need fleshing out, adventures that need to be made, and plenty of bugs to be fixed. I'm hesitant to give an ETA, but I think it's safe to expect Hidden Realms to get released sometime in 2016.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - no matter how long it takes, Hidden Realms is going to get finished. I promise you that.

Happy New Year, folks!
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

WHEN!!!

Post by StinkyFTW » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00 am

WHEN will this be done? My hub, already has over 150 adventures done!
garirry
Rainbow Star

Re: WHEN!!!

Post by garirry » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:12 am

StinkyFTW wrote:WHEN will this be done? My hub, already has over 150 adventures done!
Patience, my friend. I'm sure Qloof is busy and can't work on it all the time.

Also, by saying you have 150+ adventures in your hub, either you're lying (at the very least exaggerating), or those are just lazily made, or even copy-pasted.
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:30 am

StinkyFTW wrote:WHEN will this be done? My hub, already has over 150 adventures done!
Yesterday, you posted a picture of a hub level marked "Level 06", heavily implied due to the question you asked about it to be the most recent one you've made. Due to the concentration of levels per hub observable thus far, we can from that assume an approximate maximum of around 24 adventures at that point, which was 27 hours ago. This means, in that time, you have probably designed about 126 adventures, and a minimum of 32 hub levels, or cumulatively at least 158 .wlvs. Factoring out 6 hours as a low estimate for time spent not on WA, this means you spent 8 minutes on each .wlv, which, from my experience, is about enough time to make an adventure of the complexity of a maze with a chomper that chases you to the star, or, in the hub, hook up semi-reliable level-exits and adventure stars.

Or, to phrase it differently, NOPE. In Wonderland Adventures, as with most things, quality takes time. Not perhaps as much time as I take, but still.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:15 am

You're telling me that, in the course of one week - since, according to your thread, you "officially" started working on your hub on the 26th - you made over 150 adventures? :|

I'll be blunt here - Ever heard of quality over quantity? That's been my philosophy behind Hidden Realms from day one. Nothing ends up in the game itself until it's been thoroughly tested to make sure it works as intended. Just about every area and adventure in the game have undergone at least one iteration, if not more - I have a 13-page design document on this computer where I laid out my original plans, and many parts of the game are significantly different to what was originally penned down. There are some adventures and areas that were just scrapped completely, because they either just weren't fun or because they didn't serve any real purpose besides padding.

In contrast, if what you've shown of Lost Worlds is any indication, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a cohesive vision behind it. Some parts are pretty clearly not thought out or untested - there's the level exit in Dark Caves that just crashes the game, for instance. Alpha or not, this is the kind of thing that should be picked up on immediately.

I don't want to spend all of my free time working on Hidden Realms - I feel that that kind of approach is harmful to a project more often than not. Forcing yourself to work on something when you aren't really into it means you're far likelier to end up with a half-baked product.

More to the point, though, free time aside - I've got far more important things to worry about in my life than HR - especially since it's effectively a mod for a niche puzzle game running on a 10-year-old engine. I have health issues that currently prevent me from working and require therapy, I'm 19 and have to seriously start thinking about what I'm going to do with my life, I have friends and a significant other that I want to spend time with, and I've got other hobbies that I want to do, such as drawing.

Hidden Realms will be done when it's done. That's always been my stance on a release date. The closest I've gotten to setting a release date is saying that I think it'll be done by the end of this year. Keyword: think.

If you've got a problem with how I'm handling things, then okay. That's your opinion. I've been working on Hidden Realms for going on four years now - which might sound like a lot, but considering that this is a one-man project being worked on in my spare time, it's not that unreasonable. I'm confident in how I'm handling things, and I've done far too much work to switch gears now.

More power to you if you're somehow able to get an entire game done at the same level of quality as PoTZ within a year, but that doesn't affect me or how I'm working on HR in any way, shape, or form.
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Whoa!

Post by StinkyFTW » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:25 pm

I am really sorry about blowing up. My brother, Colton smashed my laptop on the floor when I told on him for biting me. So, guess who now has an Alienware laptop? Me! But, to stay on topic i meant to say that i have over 150 levels planned!
tucker27
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by tucker27 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:27 pm

When is it going to be released
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:53 pm

tucker27 wrote:When is it going to be released
read the second post above you

please
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:04 am

Just found your thread Qloof, really looking forward to playing it!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:17 pm

So, it's been a bit under three years since I announced HR, so somewhere in the neighbourhood of four years of work. Time for a status update, huh?

Progress is slow, but it's still getting done. The side areas are where the bulk of the remaining work is, more specifically in their adventures. There are still bugs and such that need fixing, and the post-game events are still mostly unimplemented.

So, if I keep going like this, my ETA is still somewhere around the end of the year, or Q1 2017.

Having said that, seeing as recently, there's been a significant breakthrough in the realm of modding WA (which was nearly nonexistent beforehand), I'm faced with an interesting dilemma here.

On one hand, HR is far enough along that it'd be unreasonable to add any new, major gameplay elements, so something like that is unlikely. Having said that, with the ability to modify the game opened up much more than before, there are definitely things I'd like to try out.

If HR were to end up including a binary modification alongside the game data itself, it'd likely be in the form of bugfixes more than anything else. Possibly some extra commands added in for the sake of making life easier for me as I'm building it (e.g. having the vault display the current .wlv number and the player's co-ordinates). However, I won't rule out the possibility of more significant additions, either.

Basically, here's how it stands: Hidden Realms is still (hopefully) on track for a late 2016/early 2017 release. However, if I feel that binary modifications are worthwhile (i.e. worth the effort and time spent to make them), then it could be pushed back until later in 2017. We'll just have to wait and see.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I fully understand the struggle, Qloof. I was about to reactivate my hub when the modding breakthrough happened. However it's far less advanced than HR, so modifications are the way to go. Except bugfixing I'll attempt to revive some abandoned gameplay elements, maybe also include some retro mechanics like boulders and boxes (multiple characters would be amazing, but that seems to be simply too much work considering they'd need separate inventories, magic etc.).
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Okay, okay, so there's less than two months left in 2016 and I haven't said anything about a release. What gives?

To put it bluntly: I've been preoccupied with other things. I just haven't had the drive to work on HR as much as I had a few months ago, in part because it's been so long since I really buckled down to work on it.

I still most definitely haven't forgotten about HR - Again, I've put far too much of my own time in this to justify leaving it unfinished to myself. A 2016 release is looking extremely unlikely, however.

Instead of giving another ETA that I might end up missing, I'm going to fall back on my usual strategy. Hidden Realms will be done when it's done.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:20 am

DELETED.
Last edited by FinnThor on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Post by StinkyFTW » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Don't stress yourself
OH GOD. :mrgreen:
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

2-Year Question?

Post by FinnThor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:46 am

Now, this question has to do with something from two years ago, so I apologize for this.

@Qloof, How did you "enhance" the graphics of the HUD and the other stuff, like the adventure stars? (This is from a picture you posted on Page 1 of this thread in 2014.) Also, maybe you should update the update bar on the first page. (If there's anything to update, that is.)
Cheese!

Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: 2-Year Question?

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:36 am

FinnThor wrote:Now, this question has to do with something from two years ago, so I apologize for this.

@Qloof, How did you "enhance" the graphics of the HUD and the other stuff, like the adventure stars? (This is from a picture you posted on Page 1 of this thread in 2014.) Also, maybe you should update the update bar on the first page. (If there's anything to update, that is.)
The enhanced graphics have to do with Kyuu creating replacement assets for most of the editor texture things.
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Post by StinkyFTW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:55 pm

So, when will it be done?
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm

StinkyFTW wrote:So, when will it be done?
Qloof already answered that question, it'll be done whenever it'll be done.

As in just be patient and persuading him to give you a release date won't give you any good.
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Lol

Post by StinkyFTW » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Happy ___ Years of development. I really hope you release this soon. If you want any help with it, I''d gladly do so.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Fri May 19, 2017 1:34 pm

So, it's been about 7 months since the last update on Hidden Realms. I apologize in advance if this comes off as rude somehow, but is there any news on this? I know it's your decision QLoof, so I'm not going to try to force that decision for you, but I have noticed you seem to give us an update on Hidden Realms about every 6 months or so.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sun May 28, 2017 2:39 pm

rainbowgamer wrote:So, it's been about 7 months since the last update on Hidden Realms. I apologize in advance if this comes off as rude somehow, but is there any news on this? I know it's your decision QLoof, so I'm not going to try to force that decision for you, but I have noticed you seem to give us an update on Hidden Realms about every 6 months or so.
I agree with this statement. (Bump)

We haven't had an update in a while, and I started looking at the old thread which got me even more excited for this. I'd like to know how it's going, as well as rainbowgamer. I'm sorry if I'm a bit rude, but we just really want at least another update on how progress on this is going.
Master Wonder Mage wrote:The enhanced graphics have to do with Kyuu creating replacement assets for most of the editor texture things.
I looked this up to see if I could find something on it to see if I could do the same thing, but no luck. This is a little off-topic, but where could I find it?
StinkyFTW wrote:Happy ___ Years of development.
It was officially announced around 4 years ago by Qloof.

Edit:
Qloof234 wrote:LOOK AT THAT, WALL OF TEXT
WHERE ARE YOUR WALL OF TEXT UPDATES?
Qloof234 wrote:OOPS
THAT'S NOT AN OOPS, THAT'S A YES.

(I have not intended any rudeness at all during this post.)
Last edited by FinnThor on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese!

StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

U can do it!

Post by StinkyFTW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:42 pm

You can do this! No matter how long it takes, we will all be patient.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Re: U can do it!

Post by garirry » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:49 pm

StinkyFTW wrote:No matter how long it takes, we will all be patient.
Clearly you won't.
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Re: U can do it!

Post by StinkyFTW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:13 pm

garirry wrote:
StinkyFTW wrote:No matter how long it takes, we will all be patient.
Clearly you won't.
HEH. Welp, time to prove someone wrong - o!
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by FinnThor on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese!

StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Post by StinkyFTW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm

I am never giving up on waiting for this.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm

StinkyFTW wrote:I am never giving up on waiting for this.
Except you'll have to when we all eventually die. (No offence or rudeness intended)

Also, this doesn't need to be bumped once every month, so can you stop bumping it please?
Cheese!

PhoenixBlaze
Rainbow Wizard

Post by PhoenixBlaze » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah, I think we get it by now. :?
currently simping for kiyotaka ishimaru