Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: jdl, ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Emerald141, Qloof234

Post Reply
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 pm

While playing through all the Wonderland games, a few moments have freaked me out. The main one for me was when you meet Shiver for the first time in MOFI. I was so startled that i refused to play the game again until i got home from school that day. What is the most startling and scary moments for you?
User avatar
rainbowmon
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by rainbowmon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm

I've been known to be startled due to dying unexpectedly in the original trilogy. Something about it just really takes me off guard if I'm not expecting it. It's not that it's unfair, because even if that were the case, the shock comes first. It's kinda like the drowning jingle in the Sonic games: If you aren't expecting it, it can outright terrify you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5562
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Yes, there's a bit of a jumpscare aspect to a sudden death in the original trilogy.

One for each in the WA trilogy:

1) I was a bit taken aback in the original WA after exiting the Pyramid when The Void has already taken over and the shards don't work.

2) In MOFI, meeting Shiver was a lovely moment, indeed.

3) In POTZ, when everyone gets separated in the teleporting sequence.

Also, this is subjective, but I feel I may have done a bit too good of a job making Uo's music sound scary and threatening. The original beta version just reused the Creepy Keep theme, which was a massive letdown for such beautifully alien textures, but Uo is more of a mysterious place than a threatening place, and during my attempts at making my own track, I may have overdone the threat level a bit.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:50 pm

The level "The Chase is on" in the original Wonderland Adventures was very scary to me with the super fast chomper chasing after you.
garirry
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by garirry » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 pm

The only thing I can particularly think of is the message "you are likely to be eaten by a grue" in MOFI when it's dark kinda, which freaked me out at first since I didn't get the reference and it happened in the Void room which has this dark, somewhat unpleasant atmosphere to it.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:13 pm

i do not remember that. How do you get this to happen.
garirry
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by garirry » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:14 am

By not having the lamp/glow gem active. I don't remember if the specific message shows up all the time (as opposed to the generic "you need a lamp") or if it's random though.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5562
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:15 am

IIRC, it shows up in the super-darkest areas only. "It is pitch black. You're likely to be eaten by a grue."
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:12 am

What areas clasify as super dark, also do you have to not have the lamp or glow gem in you inventory at all for the message to appear. :?:
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:12 am

What areas clasify as super dark, also do you have to not have the lamp or glow gem in you inventory at all for the message to appear. :?:
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 am

What areas clasify as super dark, also do you have to not have the lamp or glow gem in you inventory at all for the message to appear. :?:


Edit: for some reason, this post triplicated
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2885
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by billy bob » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Whenever the lighting is so dark that the glowgem/lamp would have activated if you had one but you don't, then there is a 90% chance of getting the message "It is very dark! You need a lamp." and a 10% chance of getting the message "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.". This is the case for the entire WA trilogy.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm

rainbowmon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm
I've been known to be startled due to dying unexpectedly in the original trilogy. Something about it just really takes me off guard if I'm not expecting it. It's not that it's unfair, because even if that were the case, the shock comes first. It's kinda like the drowning jingle in the Sonic games: If you aren't expecting it, it can outright terrify you.
When you step off a fire vent in WA and it turns on as you do and kills you...
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 pm

billy bob wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm
Whenever the lighting is so dark that the glowgem/lamp would have activated if you had one but you don't, then there is a 90% chance of getting the message "It is very dark! You need a lamp." and a 10% chance of getting the message "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.". This is the case for the entire WA trilogy.
Is that so? I thought it was that between light levels 30ish to 50 it would say the first message and the second if under 20.

I know for sure that every time I entered the chomper nest/cave in WA1 in Lazy-Leaf Forest without a light source, it would tell me I would get eaten by a grue. Maybe that one's hard-coded to the second message since there is in fact always a chomper in there.
Post Reply