The Ultimate WA Editor Hex-Editing Topic! Take A Look!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 26, 2009 6:25 pm

jdl wrote:Anything new lately by anyone? :|
I don't know, maybe Clifford really is trying to create his own Editor or something, he seems to have disappeared for some days (weeks?) now.

Anyway, in case you're wondering, I'm still working on two things these days:
1) enhancements to the Editor
2) undocumented general commands

#1 is still at least a month away. #2 is something I've been working on the past week or so. I'm about finished with the document, and is now in the process of creating some test levels to demonstrate some of the CMDs. Probably another week away.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue May 26, 2009 7:19 pm

There are new CMDs!!! :o Can you at least post a description of what one does?
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 27, 2009 2:48 am

jdl wrote:There are new CMDs!!! :o Can you at least post a description of what one does?
Um, kind of jumping the gun, but I guess I could.

Although a lot of them you already know, and the few that are "new" are either not that groundbreaking, or require a bit of information (hence the guide I'm writing) to make use.

Here we go (stuff in brackets [] indicate CMDs you likely already know about, from previous posts):

4: Sets object modifier #Data2 to value Data3 for Objects with ID matching Data1
7: [warp to level (x,y)]
8: [start adventure]
28: Activates all AskAbouts with AskAboutActive value = Data1 across all Dialogs
29: DeActivates all AskAbouts with AskAboutActive value = Data1 across all Dialogs
30: Toggles all AskAbouts with AskAboutActive value = Data1 across all Dialogs
51: Set MovementType to value Data4 for Objects with ID matching Data1
52: Set MovementType to value Data2 and MovementTypeData to value Data3, for Objects with ID matching Data1
61: [CMD version of NPC Move button]
62: [CMD version of NPC Change button]
63: [CMD version of NPC Change button]
64: CMD version of NPC Exclamation button (Data1 = NPC ID, Data2 = Particle ID, Data3 = How Many)
102: [run cutscene #1--not available in WA Editor]
103: [run cutscene #2--not available in WA Editor]
104: [run cutscene #3--not available in WA Editor]
114: [activates shards teleportation]
115: [open Floing menu--not available in WA Editor]
116: [change player's hat--MOFI only]
117: [change player's accessory--MOFI only]

For better or worse, I can confirm that the list of CMDs above, plus the ones already listed in Midnight Synergy's reference page, they are ALL the CMDs there are in the game's programming (I've checked wg.exe in WA1, WA Editor and MOFI).
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:53 am

Movement... Type? :?
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Wed May 27, 2009 3:58 am

Qloof234 wrote:Movement... Type? :?
That's a variable used for stinkers, and can be set to "Waddle", "Walk", or "Run". :wink:
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 am

mqdar wrote:
That's a variable used for stinkers, and can be set to "Waddle", "Walk", or "Run". :wink:
No, that's "WalkAnim" in the Editor, and is actually Data7.

MovementType is something "new". You can't change it in the Editor. It'll all be explained in my document eventually. For now, if you really want to play around with it, try giving various monsters/NPCs MovementType values of 30-34, 41-48, or 71-78, using CMD 51. Your jaw might drop. :wink: :twisted:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:08 am

cbloopy wrote:
mqdar wrote:

MovementType is something "new". You can't change it in the Editor. It'll all be explained in my document eventually. For now, if you really want to play around with it, try giving various monsters/NPCs MovementType values of 30-34, 41-48, or 71-78, using CMD 51. Your jaw might drop. :wink: :twisted:
*goes to try it*
dlcs18
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:24 am

AWESOME!!!

If anyone wants to know what exactly it does:
If you use it you can make Chompers that act like Scritters, or Scritters that Act like Spikeyballs, and more...
:P
dlcs18
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Wed May 27, 2009 12:37 pm

cbloopy wrote:
mqdar wrote:

:lol: :lol:

That's also something to add in the new WA Editor tutorial.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:08 pm

BEST. CMD. EVER.
Data4 Numbers + their effects wrote:
--Scritter Movement Types--

30: Nothing moves (walk on same space as Scritter to make it move)
31: Acts like a Scritter (walking into chomper/spikeyball kills the player)
32: Scritter again (close proximity, same as default)
33: Scritter again (same as default?)
34: Scritter again (far proximity, 4 tiles)

--DragonTurtle/Spikeyball Movement Types--

41: Initial direction is South (Scritters act really oddly during this)
42: Initial direction is North (No idea what Scritters do here)
43: Initial direction is East (No idea what Scritters do here)
44: East again
45: South again
46: South again
47: Initial direction is West (Scritters act normal here)
48: West again (Yet I have no idea what Scritters do here)

--??? Movement Types--

71: Bounces off wall, initial direction is North (???)
72: Bounces off wall, initial direction is North-East (???)
73: Bounces off wall, initial direction is East (???)
74: Bounces off wall, initial direction is South-East (???)
75: Bounces off wall, initial direction is South (???)
76: Bounces off wall, initial direction is South-West (???)
77: Bounces off wall, initial direction is West (???)
78: Bounces off wall, initial direction is North-West (???)
Updated the last few CMD's, add titles for the first few.

And with that, it's time to experiment with the undocumented values... :twisted:
Last edited by Qloof234 on Wed May 27, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Wed May 27, 2009 8:29 pm

cbloopy wrote:
mqdar wrote:

Oh... :?
CatHat5678
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by CatHat5678 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:34 am

hey does anyone think that we might be able to get a
chomper npc or something?
that would be so cool! :D
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because if the road crossed the chicken the old lady's would trip over the bump!
(no offence to anyone who thinks of themselves as "old")
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Thu May 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Somebody doing download my .WDF -> .bmp files!?!?!?!?
Avid TTR player and TTS developer, a new revolutionary server in works.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri May 29, 2009 2:11 am

CatHat5678 wrote:hey does anyone think that we might be able to get a
chomper npc or something?
that would be so cool! :D
If you mean something that looks like a chomper and can be talked to, then sure, I can get you this by good-old WOP hacking. Basically just take a sign post object and substitute the chomper model for it.

Attached is the WOP and a test adventure. Because this "chomper NPC" object is really a sign post, it can't move, can't be killed with POW or the like, and is harmless to the player or other Stinkers. But you can talk to it and it sure looks like a chomper!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:37 am

I was thinking of the same thing earlier, but using a Stinker NPC the Chomper just looks away from the player... All the time... :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri May 29, 2009 3:01 am

Qloof234 wrote:I was thinking of the same thing earlier, but using a Stinker NPC the Chomper just looks away from the player... All the time... :lol:
Actually, the same thing happens even when you use the sign post. To fix the "wrong direction" issue, I set PitchAdjust and RollAdjust to 180, which flips the chomper in such a way that it will face the correct direction when talked to.

Did you actually try out Stinker NPC substituted with chomper model? I didn't do that because I thought it might MAV the game, but if it's working then using Stinker NPC instead of the sign post would definitely be better. Let me know.
steelkeg
Gold Wonderlander

Post by steelkeg » Fri May 29, 2009 3:57 am

Scritter model + spikeball effects + spikeball movement = ZBOT!
Kaboom!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:15 am

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:I was thinking of the same thing earlier, but using a Stinker NPC the Chomper just looks away from the player... All the time... :lol:
Actually, the same thing happens even when you use the sign post. To fix the "wrong direction" issue, I set PitchAdjust and RollAdjust to 180, which flips the chomper in such a way that it will face the correct direction when talked to.

Did you actually try out Stinker NPC substituted with chomper model? I didn't do that because I thought it might MAV the game, but if it's working then using Stinker NPC instead of the sign post would definitely be better. Let me know.
Oh, okay. Cool.

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS I FAIL EPICLY
Last edited by Qloof234 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Fri May 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Deleted :evil:
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Cbloopy, but then how, in WA, does everything change after you complete the game? :?
CatHat5678
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by CatHat5678 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:25 pm

mqdar wrote:Cbloopy, but then how, in WA, does everything change after you complete the game? :?
i think i can anser that

at the last few levels of wa (the pirimid to the purple shard)
it uses them as a way to change all the levels that need changeing (such
as getting rid of the void) useing all the finishing comands
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because if the road crossed the chicken the old lady's would trip over the bump!
(no offence to anyone who thinks of themselves as "old")
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri May 29, 2009 11:55 pm

mqdar wrote:Cbloopy, but then how, in WA, does everything change after you complete the game? :?
I'd assume the programming for the ending cutscenes probably includes some programming for "everything changes". Alternatively, some changes may occur as an adventure-win CMD for the purple shard adventure. [edit: or like cathat5678 said, some of the changes are made in adventure-won CMDs in other void adventures]. I'm not at a computer right now with WA1, I'll take a look later tonight.

Actually, what does change when you complete the game? It didn't seem like there were that many changes. :? But it's been a while since I played WA.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sat May 30, 2009 2:40 am

cbloopy wrote:Actually, what does change when you complete the game? It didn't seem like there were that many changes. :? But it's been a while since I played WA.
Well, let's see:

All the levels with the pieces of void don't have them anymore, or the darkened ground beneath them. Every single level. Also, in the level with the broken bridge to Wondertown, all but one of the transporters disappear, the NPCs are gone, and there's one wall that's removed, if you look a little carefully. I think for that one though, there's a whole separate level to make all the changes. Also, I don't understand how after certain points in the game, the musemn keeps changing Morklin's dialog and moving him around.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 am

mqdar wrote:Also, I don't understand how after certain points in the game, the musemn keeps changing Morklin's dialog and moving him around.
I think I can answer that one w/o looking any files up. Just use CMD 61 and 62 (and possibly 21) in an adventure's master.dat. Those work across levels (in fact, I confirmed that the game actually loads and saves the levels in question when running those "cross-level" hub CMDs in master.dat, so theoretically all CMDs that affects only objects or dialog should work correctly as hub CMDs, regardless of level number).

I've seen those CMDs used in master.dat in MOFI as well to do the same sort of stuff with NPCs.
Last edited by cbloopy on Sat May 30, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelkeg
Gold Wonderlander

Post by steelkeg » Sat May 30, 2009 3:59 am

steelkeg wrote:Scritter model + spikeball effects + spikeball movement = ZBOT!
Anyone?
Kaboom!
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 30, 2009 6:14 am

mqdar wrote:All the levels with the pieces of void don't have them anymore, or the darkened ground beneath them. Every single level. Also, in the level with the broken bridge to Wondertown, all but one of the transporters disappear, the NPCs are gone, and there's one wall that's removed, if you look a little carefully. I think for that one though, there's a whole separate level to make all the changes.
Okay I checked and worked it out. Short answer: mostly done by the game's programming when it does the ending scenes, and you're right about whole separate levels.

Longer answer:

I checked, there weren't as many levels with void objects as you might think (only 6, or 7 if you count the "level" being used in the cutscene where Wisp talks about the void and Thwarts). 2 of the 6 levels are in the void area itself, which is no longer reachable after you win the game (because you only get there courtesy of the master.dat hub data for "The Pyramid").

By monitoring file changes, it turns out right before the game starts playing the ending, the game replaces 15.wlv, 20.wlv and 21.wlv in the "current\hub" folder of your player profile with 915.wlv, 920.wlv and 921.wlv. Or maybe not a direct replacement but one that accounts for coins taken etc., I didn't check. In any event, that's how those 3 levels are changed, and explains most of the changes you see (void gone, bridges fixed, terrain changed, etc.) In addition, the adventure-won hub CMDs in "The Purple Shard"'s master.dat also turns off the voids in 44.wlv and 46.wlv.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 30, 2009 6:22 am

steelkeg wrote:
steelkeg wrote:Scritter model + spikeball effects + spikeball movement = ZBOT!
Anyone?
It won't really look or move like a z-bot. The spikeyball spins and bounces as it moves, which looks very different from how the z-bot moves. Also, the z-bot has those antenna/eye things which won't be there if you use the scritter model.
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Sat May 30, 2009 6:54 am

Um... anyone know how to put WA to be custom adventurer?
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Sat May 30, 2009 6:59 am

Double post, but....

TENTACLE TEXTURE ON HERE:

"attachment"

EDIT: Forget texture
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 30, 2009 7:18 am

bround wrote:Um... anyone know how to put WA to be custom adventurer?
Um, yes. In fact it's been out for months. It's called "WA Editor v096". :lol: :wink:

(But more to the point, you can't put WA1 in "custom adventure" mode like you could with MOFI, because obviously all that custom adventure ideas did not even exist yet back when WA1 was released.)