Wonderland Adventures: CP *DEMO 1 RELEASED!*

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:02 am

*sigh* I have considered joining the design team, but there's one problem: the profile level. Writing is one of my fears, and I really don't know what I'd 'write' in my profile level. So that's why I didn't become a designer for WA:CP. :(
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:12 pm

I MIGHT become a designer... MAYBE.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:55 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DEMO 1 IS FINALLY HERE!

The demo includes music from Wonderland Adventures and Mysteries of Fire Island, all six magic spells from both games, fifteen (!) adventures, some custom graphics, and the same custom font that was shown off before.

Remember how I thought it was pretty short? Well, right now, it lasts about half an hour, if you're moving quickly without cheating. I must admit, it's longer than I thought, and it's definitely longer than most other video game demos I've played.

All adventures have been tested, and all of them are possible, though some might seem somewhat hard for their point in the game.

WARNING! BE SURE TO USE SAVE SLOTS, INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF ADVENTURES!

There are very few bugs at the moment, as far as I know. If any are found, please post them here.

I am aware of the double-glove possibility, and am looking into a bizarre glitch in the profile room (Upon finishing Dlcs's Profile, the player will recieve a pair of gloves, though there are none in the level). I believe I know how to circumvent it, however.

The zip folder only includes the game's data - you have to download the Wonderland Adventures: MoFI demo off of the Midnight Synergy site yourself.

Be sure to rename "localsaveoff.txt" to 'localsaveon.txt" if you have MoFI on your computer already, to avoid saving problems. This is also mentioned in the readme.txt in the zip.

The above picture: Look closely at the picture, then think about what this release of WA:CP is. I think it's a funny coincidence. :lol:

Setup instructions are in the readme.txt in the zip folder.

======================

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yalm5jnmmzm

======================

*prepares for onslaught of comments* :lol:
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

!!!

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:23 am

I'm so Excited to see all of our work! But one Problem!

About the Size.....0_o.........

Will it reach 180 to finish the game???

Edit 1:What if Mod. Patrick Unleash this as a game and post it in Any Game Site!Like Big Fish,Reflexive or Yahoo Games????But only as a Free download!

Oh and if you need a Site For it,I'm Available!;)

Anytime.....
Edit 2:Yeah! How Big!
Last edited by JohnEmmanuel143 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
!!!!!!WA:TMS Announcement!!!!!!!
The Link to the Current Page is HereAnd
Here!
Thank you For your Support ^_^
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:24 am

I'm not sure I understand...

Are you asking about how big it'll be when the project is finished?
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

!!!

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:35 am

*SHOOT!*

This Download Takes Forever!

it's 11:34 Am here but the Recognition starts at 3:00 pm!

I don't wanna miss my 1st honor medal and so THIS GAME!:(
Here!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:40 am

Yikes! It takes that long just to download?!?! :shock:

Sorry about this guys - I'll start seperating the seperate parts of the data. I have no idea why it took so long, cuz uploading it took only 5 minutes.

On my computer it says it'll take borderline 10 minutes... Are you sure it's not a problem with your computer?
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 am

On my computer it downloads at about 300Kbps, only 5 minutes. :D

I have one problem though. I just finished playing Jdl's Blinking on Rocks (or is it called something else?). When I played it, the texture was the grass texture. According to one of your screenshots in this topic, it should have that MOFI cave texture. Why doesn't it show up on mine?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:21 am

I've split apart the necessary downloads.

The folders with new content are Music, Graphics, Custom Content, and Adventures, of course.

Also, there's another zip called "mpbe" - Unzip the .wdf file in there directly to the main folder, that's the new loading screen.

Graphics, Custom Content, and Music zips are too big for the forum - which is why they're off-site.

Now, for Custom Content, cbloopy mentioned this in the WA Hacking topic, but here is how to get it working:

1) Rename localsaveoff.txt to localsaveon.txt.
2) Start the game, and then quit. A folder called Game Data should appear.
3) Download and unzip the Custom Content folder into Game Data.

The Music zip is the biggest, at a whopping 64 MB. I have an idea on how to slim it down, which I'll try now while the 64 MB version uploads...

Oh my Gawd, it slimmed down from 64 MB to 16 MB. It's still the biggest, but... Wow...

Music: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ytyunmzfaym

Extract the .ogg files into Data/Music.

Custom Content: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3wmdzcydym1

Extract the Custom Content folder into Game Data, after using the localsaveon trick to make it show up.

Graphics: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gmdkmvmwtwy

Either unzip the folder to Data, or unzip the contents to Data/Graphics.

Sorry about that guys... :oops:

@mqdar: Operator error, I forgot to upload the Custom Content folder. Check the MediaFire link, it's too big to connect to the forum. Sorry about that.

And yes, it's called Blinking on Rocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Re: !!!

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:32 am

Double-posting to answer what John asked me.
JohnEmmanuel143 wrote: Edit 1:What if Mod. Patrick Unleash this as a game and post it in Any Game Site!Like Big Fish,Reflexive or Yahoo Games????But only as a Free download!
If he did, I would probably start crying from happiness :lol:

I mean, people have already helped with getting parts of the games in place (submitting stuff for WA, testing/designing for MoFI), but having our own fan-made adventure/mod submitted on a site like that? O.M.G. (in a good way) :lol:
JohnEmmanuel143 wrote: Oh and if you need a Site For it,I'm Available!;)

Anytime.....
Mind explaining what kind of site? HTML, Flash, DreamWeaver, etc... Also, an example, maybe?
JohnEmmanuel143 wrote: Edit 2:Yeah! How Big!
I really hate to say this, but I think it'll be bigger than 180 MB. However...

Here's an idea: Each Demo isn't all the files released so far, but whatever's new - e.g. Demo 2 would be adventures 16 - 30 (just an example) and hub areas 5 - 8, maybe, along with any new graphics and stuff.
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

!

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 am

An Answer for Qloof.
Oh and if you need a Site For it,I'm Available!

Anytime.....
Mind explaining what kind of site? HTML, Flash, DreamWeaver, etc... Also, an example, maybe?
What I mean is that A website where you get downloads,videos and stuff...
Like http://www.wetpaint.thisisanexample.com

Well Some Comments:

I like the game but the textures in the hub and the adventures inside the cave Would not load!

Also,No star appears after the text: This is the end of WA:CP...
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

GUYS!

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:23 am

Here is the website I made!

Take a look!

http://wacommunityproject.wetpaint.com/
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:25 am

Qloof234 wrote:Now, for Custom Content, cbloopy mentioned this in the WA Hacking topic, but here is how to get it working:

1) Rename localsaveoff.txt to localsaveon.txt.
2) Start the game, and then quit. A folder called Game Data should appear.
3) Download and unzip the Custom Content folder into Game Data.
It'll probably (I'm guessing) also work if you just create the "Game Data" folder yourself and put Custom Content inside it. You still need localsaveon.txt.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:47 am

Qloof234 wrote:Graphics, Custom Content, and Music zips are too big for the forum - which is why they're off-site.

[...]

The Music zip is the biggest, at a whopping 64 MB. I have an idea on how to slim it down, which I'll try now while the 64 MB version uploads...

Oh my Gawd, it slimmed down from 64 MB to 16 MB. It's still the biggest, but... Wow...

[...]

Sorry about that guys... :oops:
For people who don't want to spend too much time downloading, you probably already have most of the stuff in those big zip files!

1) for Data\Music, just copy the .oggs from c:\WA Editor v096\Data\Music into WACP's Data\Music.

2) for Custom Content, if you're sure that you have all the custom textures out there in your WA Editor's Custom Content folder, just copy that folder into WACP's GameData folder.

3) for Data\Graphics, only a few files were actually changed. I've attached them here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cbloopy on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:59 am

Qloof234 wrote:All adventures have been tested, and all of them are possible, though some might seem somewhat hard for their point in the game.
Ok, @ difficulty:

For me, all of these adventures lack real challenge. Very few of them took more than 2 tries. Except Chasm Chamber. Chasm Chamber... that level is just frustrating and not even fun, so I would take it out if I was you.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:56 am

mqdar wrote:Ok, @ difficulty:
For me, all of these adventures lack real challenge. Very few of them took more than 2 tries.
It's true that most of the adventures are somewhat straightforward. On the other hand, this is trying to cater to both people who have and who haven't played MOFI yet, plus we all know how much discussion there is about how MOFI has tipped too much on the difficult side. And look at most of the custom adventures posted on the forums. Maybe the lack of difficulty we've seen so far is a good thing for most of the people who will end up playing this. Plus this is just demo 1--neither WA nor MOFI have their hardest levels in their demos. And if you want harder adventures you probably would have had to wait longer for the demo to come out.
mqdar wrote:Chasm Chamber... that level is just frustrating and not even fun, so I would take it out if I was you.
I do admit it was quite annoying to get through the last part, but once you figure it out after numerous retries, it's not too bad to execute (I can now do that part every single time without saving game). In that respect, it's kinda the same frustration as tackling any other difficult adventures. :wink: A hint:
highlight to read wrote:Don't just blindly run around trying to avoid the fireflowers. Instead, the key is to figure out which places to stand still to direct some Fireflowers to kill each other while keeping other fireflowers from being killed (like the ones you need for killing the fireflowers you do want killed). In particular, you need to clear the two fireflowers south and south-southeast of the purple gate.
Anyway, probably better off moving that adventure to later in the game, and make it an "optional" one (don't need to solve it to get to the ending of the game).
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:08 am

Qloof234 wrote:*prepares for onslaught of comments* :lol:
I enjoyed what I've seen so far. My main complain is the lack of a storyline and NPCs.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:16 am

You didn't exactly say which major WA folder to put all the smaller folders into... (WA Editor, MOFI Demo, copy MOFI demo and rename it to WA:CP...) I downloaded the big chunk of the demo that you posted so it wasn't confusing.
Although I'm guessing that you would want to have us copy the MOFI folder and then put all the new stuff in it, right? :?
Doesn't matter tho cuz like I just said I'm downloading the big zip file. :lol:
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:57 pm

@John; Great website! We can use that without question.

As for the textures, did you use that Game Data trick/make the folder and download the Custom Content zip in there (extracted)?

@cbloopy; Heh... Whoops.

@cbloopy & mqdar; This game isn't trying to be hard, and let's not forget this is the very beginning.

As for Chasm Chamber, I have no idea what happened - Back while using the WA Editor system, it was easy. Putting it into MoFI suddenly made it harder to dodge the fireballs.

There's the same problem in Flowers in the Cave - The Floing charger was added because after hitting the button it suddenly became impossible to pass the Fire Flowers.

I can move it to later, sure. First off, however, I'm going to look into its sudden difficulty jump.

@ cbloopy; Maybe we could call this a proof-of-concept for the system we're using? :lol:

NPCs will be added very soon. As for a Story, I thought that we would want to add one after we're sure that the system works fine.

The question now is, does anyone have an idea of a story we could use? :wink:

Before anyone asks, no I'm not very good at this kind of thing (thinking up stories like this) most of the time.

@Dlcs; We're using the MoFI Demo system, remember? :lol:

Adventures - Data folder (or unzip the Adventure1 - Adventure15 and Hub folders in to Data/Adventures)

Music - Data folder (or extract the .ogg files into Data/Music)

Graphics - Data folder (or extract all those .wdf files and the Map and Logos folder into Data/Graphics)

Custom Content - Game Data folder (create it yourself, or start the game, but before you do so localsaveoff.txt must be localsaveon.txt))

mpbe - Extract the .wdf file into the main game's folder to replace the already existing mpbe.wdf - It replaces the loading screen and works fine.

In theory this won't be necessary for future demo releases, because then it'll just be new hubs and adventures being added, and in some cases we might use more Custom textures.

----------------------------

Okay, on the subject of Chasm Chamber. I really have no idea what happened here. I thought it was more annoying too, but not impossible, but that's because I made the adventure. At the time, I wasn't expecting it to be a huge pain like it is now for players.

I think one of the reasons MoFI is so much harder than WA (and that this demo is harder than it was in the editor) is because MoFI uses a different fireball recognition system.

What I mean is that in WA, the Fireball has to collide with the player's model to hurt them. If it's on the tile you're just passing off of, but it hasn't hit your character, then nothing happens.

However, in MoFI, for some reason this system has been altered. Instead of having to hit your player's character model, it tests to be on the same tile as your player, even if you're passing on to the next tile. Take the above example; You walk past a fireball in WA, it hits the tile you're walking off of, but nothing happens. However, once you take it into MoFI, if you're walking off the tile and the fireball goes over the tile you're walking off of, you'll get hurt.

I'm not even kidding here - MoFI's fireball system makes the game so much more tedious.

In the Editor:
To pass the level, you have to walk down to the first gate and use the key, then walk back to the point where the floor curves around in an L shape. After that, walk back to the last gate, open it, and hurry to the star.
In the MoFI Demo:
Do the above, but you have to run as soon as the gate starts opening, as opposed to once it's open, and you have to run a long ways back as well. Even after that, thanks to the weird MoFI fireball collision, you have to take your time so as to get in.
I'm not sure if this problem has something to do with the new magic or the lack of Homing Flowers, or maybe even the addition of Ice Flowers, but it's like something that happened while testing the game...
SPOILERS! (Quotebox for convenience while reading) wrote:While testing the game, both designers and testers were having some issues with getting Baby Boomers (the small Kaboom!s that are like Wee Stinkers) through small passages. This issue caused the game to be much more tedious than it is now, because they would walk into enemies, or walk into springs causing them to whack into each other and die. I made a test comparison level, and it was found out that one snippet of code made it comparatively harder to navigate tight quarters with the little guys.
Why am I comparing this? I think that a stray bit of code that could be thanks to new magic (POW), Ice Flowers, the non-existant Homing Missile, or maybe even Brr getting recoded, that has caused the game to suddenly run a different check for fireball collision.

Personally, I tihnk it might be POW's fault, because there's a similar glitch there - cast POW in a direction you can walk, and quickly tap the arrow key in that direction. If done right, you'll burn yourself on your own POW spell.

However, this Flower problem also seems to happen with Ice Flowers.

To ANYONE reading this who doesn't believe it, I swear I'm not making ANY of this up. I've experienced this problem so many times in MoFI, and it's always made me wonder:

"What the hell is going on here???" :?

--------------------------------------------

I'll try and fix this soon, but I gotta go to school ATM...
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

!!!

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Forgot to say this but,did you know that you can make it small by making it as an installer?

remember my waatal game?it doesn't work for you because i made an installer which requires x64 bit architechnologic thing.

yep!my game was like 114 mb,make it as an installer,shrink down to half of 114!
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

!!!

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Sorry to DP but Got a story!

You are a traveller from a very far land of wonderland,

then after entering a cave,you suddenly went to another side of Wonderland...
Where a problem that ICE TROLLS AND Thwarts want to take over!

It was a hidden plan,

Then,you met Snorklin(Popped out my mind)Brother of Morklin
That lives there,with a friend named Jyph..(Come from gyphsy.)

Then Jyph tells the story,then you go to familiar places but with a twist!

Oh and Qloof,or anybody,

If you have this problem that when you cross a transporter,then shoot at
the fire flower,you burn,is because your transporter is faster than your
"Hit"of pow,causing you to burn!

Game Flash Back!

In wa:atal,(My game)You Have to hit the Ice wall to bounce back!
But!!!!When you did not move at the right time,you burn yourself.

So one Advice when you are trapped in the part where you cross the
transporter to hit a fireball,Make sure the transporter you are on is not moving,
Wait for the right time to hit!
Here!
sewel5
Rainbow Keeper

Post by sewel5 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
As for Chasm Chamber, I have no idea what happened - Back while using the WA Editor system, it was easy. Putting it into MoFI suddenly made it harder to dodge the fireballs.

There's the same problem in Flowers in the Cave - The Floing charger was added because after hitting the button it suddenly became impossible to pass the Fire Flowers.
It's possible without Floing. After the button, wait for each shot then move forward.

Or maybe it's just my computer? :?
I'll get a toontown membership if I can make bread.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I think one of the reasons MoFI is so much harder than WA (and that this demo is harder than it was in the editor) is because MoFI uses a different fireball recognition system.

What I mean is that in WA, the Fireball has to collide with the player's model to hurt them. If it's on the tile you're just passing off of, but it hasn't hit your character, then nothing happens.

However, in MoFI, for some reason this system has been altered. Instead of having to hit your player's character model, it tests to be on the same tile as your player, even if you're passing on to the next tile.

[...]

Personally, I tihnk it might be POW's fault, because there's a similar glitch there - cast POW in a direction you can walk, and quickly tap the arrow key in that direction. If done right, you'll burn yourself on your own POW spell.

I haven't tested out that adventure specifically, but so far I'm not seeing a big difference with the fireball collision check.

The screenshot below comes from MOFI. Based on what you said, I would expect Stinky to have been burned by the fireball, but that doesn't seem to be the case there.

As for "burn yourself on your own POW", I don't think what you described quite works (because the fireball starts on the tile adjacent to your position and goes faster than you can walk), but you can indeed burn yourself with your own POW, but in both MOFI and WA Editor:

1) holding down an arrow key to start walking
2) while walking, try to shoot POW in the direction you're walking

In both MOFI and WA Editor I was able to burn myself that way.

There are a few differences I can think of between my quick test and the adventure:

1) In my test level I started walking from the tile the Thwart is shooting at, whereas in the adventure you are already walking for some time when the fireballs come at you.

2) I re-downloaded demo MOFI which is now version 1.02. Although according to the readme, the only change in v1.02 is "minor fix for user accounts (Vista)" so I doubt something as major as fireball collision checks have changed.

3) The fireball is going in a non-diagonal (fully vertical/fully horizontal) direction. Perhaps the change is affecting fireballs going in diagonal directions?

In any event, with my current method for that adventure, you don't need to worry about dodging fireballs as much (once you figure out the method). You just make stops at strategic places to take out the two fireflowers that could kill you when you're unlocking the gates.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:59 pm

Oooh, you open one gate, run away, come back, open the other one, and then rush to the star. I tried that myself, but I got burnt by the fireflowers, so I didn't think it was possible. I didn't think of going really fast. I actually used Cbloopy's method (not with his help, I was basically just standing wherever and moving when the fire flowers shot at me).

About the apparent change in the spellball coding: Interesting. I've never really noticed.
Sorry MS, but we need your response again! :!:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Qloof234 wrote:@Dlcs; We're using the MoFI Demo system, remember? :lol:
Yes, I know that. It just didn't seem that obvious what to do. 8) :lol:
dlcs18
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Before I download, If I rename the folder that contains all the WA:CP stuff to say, "WACP" if I rename the text file to localsaveon will it still reset my WA:MOFI saves?
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:34 pm

I know a story!

Rescuing Wysp from an army of monsters!

:D

And I have a profile level... I guess. :P
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:00 pm

jdl wrote:Before I download, If I rename the folder that contains all the WA:CP stuff to say, "WACP" if I rename the text file to localsaveon will it still reset my WA:MOFI saves?
No, as long as you rename the file inside your WACP folder to localsaveon, it will keep all your scores and savefiles under GameData inside your WACP folder, instead of the normal place where your MOFI saves are kept.
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:21 pm

I'll be a desiger!!! :D :D :D
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:42 pm

@ Nobody (The user) & John; Maybe we could combine both of those into one story... What do you guys think?

@cbloopy; I think it would be with diagonal shots in that case, because 90% of the time at the part of the adventure in question, they're shooting at an angle. I'm not sure.

@maxnick; Okay, can you make and send me the Profile adventure? Requirements are that it's easy enough to not use an insane amount of thinking.

@mqdar; That's what worked for me too, opening one gate then running back a bit, then going again and opening the others.

As for the change, I'm not saying that anything has been changed - But from playing the game, it feels like the FireFlower's fireball collision coding has been slightly upset by something.

And yes, I agree - We really need a respone from Patrick on this issue, because it's drastically changed the adventure itself.

For that matter, two questions....

Chasm Chamber: What do you guys think about the first part, seeing as the second part is pretty broken right now?

Tutorial (The Basics): What do you guys think of this? Not detailed enough, too detailed, needs moar tutorial stuff?

That's all I got for now. Will go see what else can be added onto the game... :wink: