Tricky Puzzles - Topic 3

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 pm

He was choking on the food and he used the iron bar for the heimlech (is that spelled right?) maneuver.

OR

He ate poisonous food and then decided to do chin ups. Then, he had a huge stomachache, so violently dropped the bar, landed on it, but it was too late? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't think of the solution right now.
Hoomdoom is my cat's name.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 pm

hoomdoom wrote:He was choking on the food and he used the iron bar for the heimlech (is that spelled right?) maneuver.

OR

He ate poisonous food and then decided to do chin ups. Then, he had a huge stomachache, so violently dropped the bar, landed on it, but it was too late? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't think of the solution right now.
Too random, sorry!
Anyway, the bar is across his BACK, not his front (how would the bar land on top of him?).
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 am

Wait, I know that the water in Mystery #2 used to be a block of Ice, but that doesn't explain how Bob died, nor why he is hanging two feet off the ground.

EDIT: HOW COME NO-ONE IS REPLYING TO MY PUZZLE??
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:59 am

He stood on the block of ice with a rope around his neck and tied to the ceiling, to impress his friend with his ice-standing skills, but then he fell asleep standing up, the ice melted while he slept, and he was hung. :|
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
peegman
Rainbow Wizard

Post by peegman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 am

I'm surprised people are having trouble with Number 2, I think that it's one of the most known riddles ever!
Number 2: Bob tied himself to a rope hanging from the ceiling, standing on the block of ice, so when it melted he would die and the melted ice left a puddle of water

As for the first riddle, I'm not sure, but maybe a guy was at a salad bar, grabbing food when the sneeze guard collapsed on him, making his corpse land in the salad stuff
If I'm right I will eat my shoe, or sock
yee
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:53 am

Much more simple than something like that, Peegman!

Muzuzavr has been the closest to finding the answer, try to use that as a starting point!
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 am

MYSTERY 4 At a certain battle in ancient Egypt, the attacking army used domestic cats to open the city gates. How did the cats do this?
MYSTERY 5 Tom is lying dead outside a gemstone shop, surrounded by broken glass. Inside the shop, Mr. Evil tells the detective his story:
"There was nothing I could have done!!! Tom begins banging on the window screaming that I need to give him all my stock, or he'll kill me! I thought he was just bluffing, but next thing I knew, there was glass and bullets flying everywhere! To save my own life, I dived for my gun and fired. Sadly, my aim was better than his...
Later that day, Mr. Evil is arrested. Why? (he had a permit for his gun)
EDIT: The glass is thin enough to be heard through.
Last edited by yot yot5 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Mystery 4: I don't remember exactly, but one of those ancient nations have considered cats holy and sacred. The cats were used as a shield, essentially. Even if it's not the answer, it actually did happen in real history.

Mystery 5: You meant "give HIM all my stock", right? I really don't like these "conviction by contradiction" puzzles -- actual court doesn't work that way. Ignoring that, I think the police have noticed that, until the window got broken, there was no way Mr. Evil could hear Tom. Either that, or there were no signs of a struggle and no additional bullets lying around. Or because the dude's name is Mr. Evil. :lol:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 pm

5: What time is it in the story? (Or are you not allowed to tell us)
If it was night, (closing time) then obviously Tom would not be banging on the window. Also, nobody would be in the shop to kill Tom.

EDIT: For 1, using Muzozavr's idea that it was an animal other than a human, I realized that it could be a mouse in a mousetrap (or is that bar not really iron?)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Dag nabbit! I knew it was an animal, but my mind was stuck on fish for some reason. :?
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:58 pm

hoomdoom wrote:EDIT: For 1, using Muzozavr's idea that it was an animal other than a human, I realized that it could be a mouse in a mousetrap (or is that bar not really iron?)
YEAH!!!!!!!! YOU GOT IT!!!!!!

Mystery 4: Muzozavr, you got that one as well! The real way was to begin killing the cats, but you're close enough.

Mystery 5: Updated again.
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:05 pm

5: If Mr. Evil dove for the gun, wouldn't he land in a pile of glass and hurt himself?
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Close................................................................a bit

But not quite...
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:44 pm

The gun wasn't loaded?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm

If Tom had really shot first, the broken glass would be in the shop instead of all around him. :?:

Also, I knew the answer to number 2, and my explanation was just a more interesting version. :P
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Nobody wrote:If Tom had really shot first, the broken glass would be in the shop instead of all around him. :?:
Yep, that's it.
I might release more soon!
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 pm

A tiny car which weighs 900 pounds at the moment goes up an extremely small and thin bridge, which is five miles long. The bridge can hold up to 1020 pounds. Halfway there, a small bird lands on it. In this case, the person weighs 120 pounds driving the car. Physics suggest that if the bridge can only hold up 900+120, then the bird would make it collapse. Why didn't it?
peegman
Rainbow Wizard

Post by peegman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:23 am

Houndoom: Simple, the small bird weighs as much as the amount of petrol used before it landed.
Also, a tiny 900 pound car
yee
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:55 pm

SOLVE MY PUZZLE NOW. I'M WAITING.

hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 pm

peegman wrote:Houndoom: Simple, the small bird weighs as much as the amount of petrol used before it landed.
Also, a tiny 900 pound car
But the person in the car weighs 120 pounds.

(It's the correct answer anyway)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm

LittleZbot wrote:SOLVE MY PUZZLE NOW. I'M WAITING.
I think "herb" refers to Herbert, but I'm clueless after that.
|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Post by |Cookie| » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm

LittleZbot wrote:SOLVE MY PUZZLE NOW. I'M WAITING.
Any puzzle?
Edit:Oh!
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes, the Herb DOES refer to Herbert. For that section, try to find words WITHIN the words. :wink:

hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 am

Well, while LZ's puzzle is stumping people (like me, who has worked on it for 15 minutes), I decided to make one up. (If you find something like this online, however, I won't be surprised.

A man, Billy, is being interviewed by the media for his upcoming job as a cashier.

Question One: So, where will you work?

Billy: Oh, at the new Burgers R Big store!

Reporter: Hey! That's 30 miles away from the giant but thin bridge! Isn't the bridge 11 miles long?

Billy: Yeah, I always cross it to get home from work.

Question Two: When will you work?

Billy: I will work from 5:30 AM to 11:30 AM.

Reporter: Oh, that's great! I know your manager, he definitely has a strict mind.

Billy: Well, it is hard for me to leave at exactly 11:30, but I should manage to do it every time.

Reporter: Nice.

Question Three: How far is your work away from home?

Billy: A big 45 minutes. I also go 60 miles an hour on all the paths, there aren't any stop signs or streetlights, it is a perfect non-stop route.

Reporter: That's a long time, but I would die for no stop signs.

Billy: Aren't they annoying?

Question Four: Will you do anything to do after work?

Billy: Nope, I will sit home, wait for my wife, have dinner, then go to bed.

Reporter: So what will you eat for dinner?

Billy: Various items. It's usually whatever my wife gets me. However, I will get lunch from Burgers R Big at exactly 12:10. I always eat the "Monster 2-pounder"!

Reporter: Why 12:10?

Billy: Frankly, I have no idea. My wife always says, "Always make your days random."

Reporter: Thanks for your time.

Billy: No problem.

20 days later, Billy finally goes to work. It was a rough day, but Billy nailed it. He bought something at 10:30, a plane, which made Billy excited. When Billy was crossing the thin but giant bridge, Billy and the car's weight (and all the items in the car as well) combined was 8,299 pounds. The bridge could only support 8,300 pounds, but it was fine for Billy. Billy then saw something he bought fly up in the sky. His plane. It dropped a parachute with an item in it. The item did not land on the car or the bridge, but the bridge still collapsed.

When the police interviewed the pilot, he said that the item dropped in the parachute wasn't anything explosive, corrosive, or anything like that. He says that a normal person would use it. When the police saw the interview with the reporter and Billy, the police got suspicious. The pilot then told the policeman what was dropped out of the parachute. The police understood, but he said it was very strange.

Looking back at the interview and the story, what was dropped out of the parachute and how did Billy die?
Last edited by hoomdoom on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Maybe a phone dropped from the plane, but I'm not sure how Billy died..
:D
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Tiny hint:
What time is it?
Pretty big hint:
Yummy!
peegman
Rainbow Wizard

Post by peegman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:22 am

I had to read it back, but I think Billy grabbed the parachute. His day was random, so the plane dropped his lunch, the monster 2-pounder. The bridge collapsed from the 2 pounds of weight.
Please tell me I'm right!
yee
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:40 am

peegman wrote:I had to read it back, but I think Billy grabbed the parachute. His day was random, so the plane dropped his lunch, the monster 2-pounder. The bridge collapsed from the 2 pounds of weight.
Please tell me I'm right!
YAY!!! THAT IS CORRECT!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Good job! :D :D
Spoiler that explains further (well, should I really call it a spoiler? The question has already been answered anyway) wrote:Also, since he always leaves work at 11:30 exactly, and the 11 mile bridge is 30 minutes away from the restaurant, it would be 12:10 with one mile left to go on the bridge (Remember: 60 miles an hour!). Since Billy always eats the 2 pounder at 12:10, he called the plane to bring him the lunch. The bridge couldn't support the weight, it collapsed, and the police were really shocked to hear that strange story!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:38 am

What is it with bridges that can't support anything even slightly over their weight limit in this topic? :shock:
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Qloof234 wrote:What is it with bridges that can't support anything even slightly over their weight limit in this topic? :shock:
Well, if they were real, (which they aren't) nobody would ride on them, and they wouldn't be stupid enough to pay millions of dollars for a plane and die only surpassing one pound on the weight limit for the bridge.