Blitz3D and BlitzPlus are now open source!!

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Blitz3D and BlitzPlus are now open source!!

Post by HumanGamer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:29 pm

If you go to their website and scroll down on the homepage: You will see that it is now open source on github. You can also download the last official release by registering the code: FREEBLITZ3D for Blitz3D and: FREEBLITZPLUS for BlitzPlus.

The official site is: http://www.blitzbasic.com/

Have Fun! :D
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:25 pm

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how useful this will be for us, seeing how we can't make any changes to the Wonderland games without their source code.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Toonys trying his hardest to pirate IMEAN get the source code for wonderland
Don't come in contact with contaminants.
SearchForReality
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by SearchForReality » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:56 pm

Cooldudepoke is Toony? :? Would not have guessed that without this post.
PMs and emails closed until further notice.
Sofoulini
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Sofoulini » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:04 pm

What?!?
Cooldudepoke is Toony?
Are you joking right?
:? :? :?
My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/InMrMenShow

>My list with my custom levels/adventures<
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351783#351783
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:23 pm

Guys, just because Caton's barrage of weird questions got on your nerves doesn't mean you should trampoline to the wrong conclusions so soon.

cooldudepoke has given us news about a creative toolkit (in this case, a particular programming environment) going free and open source. What do you find so awfully wrong with this that you're trying to jump at cooldudepoke's throat?

I thought we were supposed to be a creative community?? I thought we were supposed to welcome news like this??
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how useful this will be for us, seeing how we can't make any changes to the Wonderland games without their source code.
Toonys trying his hardest to pirate IMEAN get the source code for wonderland
HOW IS THAT EVEN RELEVANT?!?!?!?! There IS no relevance! cooldudepoke did NOT say anything about Wonderland's source code. The topic isn't even in "General Wonderland Discussions", for Stinky's sake, it's in off-topic.
trying his hardest to pirate
No, this is not piracy. Stop being lazy and actually check out the link. It's official, BlitzBasic (strictly speaking, it's BlitzPlus and Blitz3D, but whatever) is really free and really open source. No catch, no strings attached, free for all, open source for everyone. This is not the first time an old, previously commercial toolkit or engine has gone open source -- the Doom engine is now open source, too.

Anyway, I believe I speak for every sane member of the forum when I say WHAT THE %$#@ IS YOUR COLLECTIVE PROBLEM!?!?!?!?!??!

Anybody who might have wanted to try their own hand at Blitz3D/BlitzPlus can now do so for free. This is exciting news for potential beginners and capable Blitz developers alike.

cooldudepoke has shared some exciting news with us and has done nothing wrong.

I demand you all to apologize to cooldudepoke, because you sure as hell should.

/thread
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Literally three posts in, and the topic's already fallen apart. Come on, guys. There's no excuse for this. Muzozavr is completely right.

Thread locked.
Cooldudepoke, I apologize for how this thread tanked so quickly.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 am

Reopened.

This doesn't come as a surprise for me as Blitz3D is pretty outdated as a game toolkit.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 am

Already posted this in the apologies topic, but I myself am sorry for continuing the misunderstanding and leading it further down the ugly road.

Anyway, I'd still say it's exciting news for any potential BASIC programmer who wants to make retro-ish games. Plus, the games will run fine even on older machines, specifically because it's an outdated toolkit. Still, though, there are newer alternatives like pygame (for Python) and others...

Also, as far as I know, DarkBasic Pro is also open source now and has been for quite some time.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Even if it's outdated now, you could technically update the codebase to use DX9+ or OpenGL because it's open source.

Might be a lot of work though...

~ Matt
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:59 pm

cooldudepoke wrote:Even if it's outdated now, you could technically update the codebase to use DX9+ or OpenGL because it's open source.

Might be a lot of work though...

~ Matt
The Blitz engine is DX7. Unless you want to bother refactoring the engine which would probably mean a rewrite...

There's BlitzMax if you really, really want to go down that path...
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop