Unreal Engine 4 now free and open source

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Unreal Engine 4 now free and open source

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:16 pm

THE WORLD OF PROFESSIONAL GAME PROGRAMMING HAS JUST BEEN SET ON FIRE I AM NOT EVEN A PROGRAMMER BUT MY MIND IS BLOWN AWAY IN A TORNADO.

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

It is official. UE4 is now free and open source. All of it. For commercially released content, Epic charges 5% royalties or something (it's complicated, I don't speak legalese) but you still don't pay anything upfront and it's COMPLETELY free for non-commercial use.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:36 pm

For that matter, in similar news, Valve officially announced their new Source 2 engine. It's going to be free for developers to use, not sure about open-source though.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:32 am

Being a future programmer, I am interested in knowing what is so particular with this engine (what game was it used for, for example).
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:01 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... gine_games

From version 1 to version 4. Most of the games using 4 are yet to be released, actually, but you can see a lot of modern, high-profile games using version 3.

Basically, they made a free release of the tech that can potentially power the gaming equivalent of Hollywood blockbusters. In filmmaking, the equivalent would be getting all the professional studio equipment for free.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Oh, I have heard of some of these games, like Mass Effect and Borderlands, but I'm particularly surprised that Mighty No. 9 also used this engine. Thanks for the info.
Technos72
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Technos72 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Wow, what an amazing free game program. I think I should make the switch to this seeing how I'm worried about using GM8 any more. It's going to act jerky when I get a Windows 8 laptop with GM8. I don't like GMS at all so I won't use it. Also I haven't done any game programming for three months. I'll try this out one day.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Technos72 wrote:Wow, what an amazing free game program. I think I should make the switch to this seeing how I'm worried about using GM8 any more. It's going to act jerky when I get a Windows 8 laptop with GM8. I don't like GMS at all so I won't use it. Also I haven't done any game programming for three months. I'll try this out one day.
It's not a game making software like GM8, it's an engine; I don't recommend switching to this from Game Maker, it requires a lot of knowledge and experience with 3D and programming. I'd always recommend to anyone to start with 2D games before touching 3D.