Void Spike Scale Adjustment Found!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Void Spike Scale Adjustment Found!

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:25 pm

This could probably go in a different topic, but whatever.

So for those who don't know, the ScaleAdjust values on the default void spike .wop file don't actually work. They adjust the size of the editor blob thingy, but in-game, the spikes all render at the same size. Despite that, we know for sure that scaled spikes are possible, as there's a huge one near the end of WA1.

Out of boredom, and since I was mucking about with a hex editor anyways, I took a look at the .wlv from WA1 to see if I could find anything of use. After a while testing the bytes that were different in the file, I stumbled across the actual scale controller for the void spikes - It's Data2!

I don't know why the default void .wop doesn't have Data2 and has the ScaleAdjust values instead, but either way, Data2 resizes void spikes. It seems to be basically the radius of the spike - a default void spike has a value of 0 and only covers one tile, while a spike with a value of 1 expands to cover roughly a 3x3 square, one tile in each direction from the centre.

Some screenshots:

From left to right, Data2 values are: 8 (giant one from WA1), 0 (regular size), 4, 12

From left to right, Data2 values are: 1, 2, 3

Attached is a .zip file with a modified Void.wop file, that just adds the Data2 adjuster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Oh my word, this is a glorious find! Nice one, Qloof!

now I can finally follow my wildest ideas and make giant void nightm-imean-puzzles with this...

whenever the inspiration comes back <_<
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3