Lyglo the Triangle (Updates Topic)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Is this the wall jump power? :lol:

Below screenshot is NOT edited.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:16 pm

No, it's the firespeed Lyglo. :lol: (just kidding)
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:42 am

:lol:

That's not actually intended, but provided all the powers still work, it's not a glitch. Might use it in further levels. :wink:

Meanwhile, new updates! Demo 3 should be out once level 1, maybe 2, of world 2 is done. World 1, on the other hand, is nearly finished.

Level 5 and the boss have been joined into one level. Also, there's now music ingame.

As for the Game Over issue, I decided what to do - the same way that you can die infinite times in some video games (e.g. Mirror's Edge), Lyglo will no longer have a life counter. Instead, dying in the level teleports the player back to the hub, outside the last level they finished.

The Fire Flowers/Piranha Plant's graphics are in game, but it isn't programmed to do anything as of yet.

List of music ingame:

1. Super Mario World - Overworld (Map 2) - Used on Hub (Classic)
2. Super Mario Galaxy - Nostalgia 1 (SMB 3) - Used in levels (for the Grassy World, took FOREVER to fix the looping)
3. Sonic CD - Quartz Quadrant Zone (Good Future) - Used on Title Screen (TEMPORARY, looking for something else to use)
4. Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations - Cornered 2009 - Used in Castle/Boss (Personal favorite out of all 4 tracks currently in game)

If anyone has a recommendation for a new title screen theme, let me know. :wink:
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:59 am

Maybe you should have a little intro movie when you start a new game (like most games) and show Lyglo comming out of his home ready for his journey (to who knows where). I've got the perfect music for that..... :wink:
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:34 pm

:lol:

Super Mario 64, right? Been ages since I played that... Memories.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Yep. :lol: Hey, it was a good idea though! :D
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 am

*bump*

Alright, a new update. Demo 3 should be out fairly soon (tomorrow earliest), so for now a picture of World 2, Level 1.

There's a lot of stuff to explain about World 2. Particularly, the fact that there are two floor types.

The grey floor is completely normal. Lyglo can walk on this and jump on it, etc. The blue floor, however, is different. If the wires in the floor are glowing red, Lyglo can stand on the floor, jump on it, etc., but if they aren't glowing at all, then Lyglo will fall through the floor.

That's what the laser beams are for - the blue ones deactivate the floor, and the red ones activate them.

I'm trying to fix a bizarre problem with the music in this world right now - I've decided on the song I'm going to use, but the problem is in the looping. When I put in the intro piece of the music and tell it to play the looping bit after the intro's done, nothing happens at all after the intro is over. I'm not sure why, but I'll figure it out eventually. :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I'm trying to fix a bizarre problem with the music in this world right now - I've decided on the song I'm going to use, but the problem is in the looping. When I put in the intro piece of the music and tell it to play the looping bit after the intro's done, nothing happens at all after the intro is over. I'm not sure why, but I'll figure it out eventually. :lol:
This "eventually" seems to be taking longer and longer. :roll: :wink: If this is only the music for the intro screen, in which I don't hang around for long anyway, I think not fixing this problem in your next demo is quite acceptable.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:44 pm

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:I'm trying to fix a bizarre problem with the music in this world right now - I've decided on the song I'm going to use, but the problem is in the looping. When I put in the intro piece of the music and tell it to play the looping bit after the intro's done, nothing happens at all after the intro is over. I'm not sure why, but I'll figure it out eventually. :lol:
This "eventually" seems to be taking longer and longer. :roll: :wink: If this is only the music for the intro screen, in which I don't hang around for long anyway, I think not fixing this problem in your next demo is quite acceptable.
This is the intended theme for World 2 - it sounds pretty... technological, in my opinion, so I thought it would fit well.

Of course, if I had known that looping it was going to go berserk, I would've looked for something else. :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Double-post, but I managed to fix the whole looping bug with the music in World 2.

Along with that, I've managed to come across another song that could be used for World 1.

I plan on having the secondary world 1 theme in two of the levels of World 1.

With that, Demo 3 will definitely be released sometime today or tomorrow.

Comments? (on the music)
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:41 am

Music sounds awesome! 8) Can't wait to try out demo 3!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:02 am

Alright, Demo 3 is online and available to download.

Differences apart from World 2:

- Music, of course
- No lives counter (dying sends the player back to the hub, and from there they can restart the level they were in)
- better hub system (looks more 3D)
- Fire Flower (only one, put in there while testing it)
- Orange block in level 1 that blocks energy balls

Enjoy! :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:31 pm

Great job! 8)

No major complaints from me this time, everything works out quite well. Minor issues:

1) the world 1 hub music's looping isn't quite right. If you listen carefully you can hear that it repeats the first measure just before it loops back, so the first measure gets played twice during the looping.

2) no music in world 2 hub

3) in world 1's castle level, the castle wall graphics flickers as you move around. I think that's because the graphics consists mainly of a dithered (checkerboard) pattern of black and white pixels. It's not hard to see that as the screen scrolls when you move, each pixel on your screen will alternate between the black and the white from the checkerboard pattern, creating the flicker.

It's actually kinda an interesting look, so it's up to you whether to keep it or fix it. Fixing it means changing the graphics of the castle wall, replacing the checkerboard pattern with a solid fill.

4) world 2 level 2: the very first part is a little too hard I think, there are too many blue laser bars making it somewhat hard to avoid them all. You'd want to open the level with something easy and save the harder stuff at the end, right?

5) world 2 level 2: on the same very first part, I find that instead of trying to avoid the blue laser beams, if you simply hold RIGHT as you fall, the gray side walls of the spike pit can catch your fall before you hit the spikes, allowing you to then jump up to safety.

6) world 2 level 2: at the part where you start to get a good number of whakkas, the game seems to slow down a little, as if there was too many things for the game to process at full speed

7) world 2 level 2: at the part where you need to make a series of jumps going up while avoiding the red laser beams, if you do hit one of the red laser beams, jumped through the green platform, and then kill the whakka, you'd be stuck with no way to continue, except to start a New Game.

This suggests you should provide a way for the player to commit suicide/abort back to the hub.

=============

One other general thing I noticed is that levels vary greatly in length. Some levels in particular I think are a little too short, and could use a bit of expanding. I'm fine with leaving the existing levels as-is, but keep this in mind as you design new levels.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:06 pm

cbloopy wrote:...this suggests you should provide a way for the player to commit suicide...
So that means that I could die just by pressing a button accidentally on the game?

jk jk :lol:

You are making good progress so far!
Although that it lagged most of the time and when I was on level 2, the game gave up on me and crashed. :(
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 pm

@ cbloopy;

1) I'm going to see if I can tag the music to looping correctly... I forgot this when working on the hub.

2) I'm not exactly sure what kind of music would work well for the world 2 hub yet... Once I find a suitable track I'll put it in.

3) Hmmm... What I could do is make the bricks alternate between the two different shades for the bricks, and add in some proper lighting on them.

Maybe I could use the dithered blocks for another castle level?

4 - 7) I'm going to alter Level 2 pretty soon, move around some bits of the level and put in a suicide button :lol:

As for the amount of Whakkas, I'm going to remove them up until the end of the level. That should keep the framerate at 60.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:41 pm

BRAVO, QLOOF! Image Image Image

I was a little sad when it finished. :lol:
stinky2
Rainbow Keeper

Post by stinky2 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Demo 3 is AWESOME, Qloof! :D
Too busy with EHM2007
My record:
Atlanta Thrashers: 1 Stanley cup (4 seasons)
Detroit Red Wings: 4 Stanley cups (8 seasons)
Dallas Stars: 1 Stanley cup (2nd season in progress)
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:28 pm

More quirks I noticed with the blue floors:

1) if you're standing on a blue floor when you walk into a blue laser beam, you don't immediately fall through. You only fall through when you're actually falling (eg. after you jump, or when you move off the edge of a floor and fall).

You can test this out in level 2-1, at the part where you need to carefully jump past a bunch of blue lasers without touching them.

2) The blue floor's effects on other objects besides Lyglo are a little inconsistent:
  • a) Lyglo's fireballs always past through them, no matter whether the floor's activated or not
    b) Whakkas are always blocked by them, no matter whether the floor's activated or not
Not necessarily "wrong", just something to make a note of.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys!

@cbloopy;

1) This is something that had me stumped too. The part of the level near the end with those blue lazers had to be changed to make sure the player didn't pull that off and walk through the walls.

One thing I could do, is instead of having the floor turn on and off when the beams are activated (directly) is to have a data value in Lyglo's programming which controls the floors.

2) I completely forgot to program the fireballs here. However, the Whakka's behaviour is intentional so that the player isn't disadvantaged by Whakka's bouncing all over the place.

I've fixed level 2 of World 2, and when I fix this blue floor glitch, I'm going to upload demo 3.5. :wink:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:32 am

Double-post

Okay, first off some bad news for World 2 - the bizarre "Flying Lyglo" glitch that happens because of the blue tiles is - as far as I know - un-fixable. However, I've decided building the level to avoid that glitch is the best way to go.

Also, the castle now has new bricks, that look a whole lot cooler in my opinion.

What do you guys think?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:02 am

Qloof234 wrote:the bizarre "Flying Lyglo" glitch that happens because of the blue tiles is - as far as I know - un-fixable.
Hmm, haven't seen this one. How do you do it?

The new castle walls look fine. Of course, the real test is to see how it looks in-game as you're playing the level.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:20 am

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:the bizarre "Flying Lyglo" glitch that happens because of the blue tiles is - as far as I know - un-fixable.
Hmm, haven't seen this one. How do you do it?
I'm referring to the glitch where Lyglo will walk on the blue bricks if they're off, provided he's standing on them when they're turned off.
cbloopy wrote:The new castle walls look fine. Of course, the real test is to see how it looks in-game as you're playing the level.
They don't look much different in static than ingame, except the lighting, which... "blends in" with the main brick while moving.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:39 am

Speaking of glitches, here're a bunch of videos showing something wacky and spectacular you can do in level 1-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klj6tqDYdqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8V_aCHisA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExxnQYoIxA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHiFXJk57Y

Note that I no longer have control of Lyglo the moment he starts the crazy bouncing, as a result of jumping into the red arrows. From that point on he just bounces non-stop all by himself. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Depending on the trajectory you are on when you hit the red arrow, the outcome (ie. where you end up) can be very different, as you can see in the videos.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:06 am

cbloopy wrote:Speaking of glitches, here're a bunch of videos showing something wacky and spectacular you can do in level 1-1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klj6tqDYdqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8V_aCHisA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExxnQYoIxA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHiFXJk57Y
Haha, oh wow. So much to do with just the bounce arrows... :lol:

First video, Lyglo the Whakka, anyone? :lol:

Second video made me want to play pinball... Bonus minigame?

Third... Uh... whoops. :lol:

Fourth... Hehe... I think fixing the bounce arrows is priority one here, not World 2 Level 3. :roll:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:26 am

A very minor glitch, but...

If you go down the curve leading to the spikes slowly, you can walk on the first spike without busting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlcs18
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 am

Qloof234 wrote:Fourth... Hehe... I think fixing the bounce arrows is priority one here, not World 2 Level 3. :roll:
:lol: Well actually, so far it hasn't really get in the way of anything. It's clear from the video that you have to do it on purpose to get the crazy bouncing going. So it's okay to leave this one unfixed for now I think. Gives me something to play with until your next demo...... :wink:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:13 am

Ok, I finally finished all levels in Demo 3!

I think the Level 2 in World 2 is a bit of overkill though... the biggest problem was where you have to get through the 1-tile gap just after the first Whakkas. It's frustrating trying to get through the gap because it's so small, and it doesn't need to be... can you make the gap bigger in the next demo?

I'm glad the level got easier after the 2nd avoiding blue laser part. :D
dlcs18
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:38 am

Qloof234 wrote:Hehe... I think fixing the bounce arrows is priority one here, not World 2 Level 3. :roll:
You know, I think by now I've actually figured out how those bounce arrows work and how the problems came about. It seems that you actually have invisible "stop bouncing" objects in the levels to stop the effects of the bounce arrows once Lyglo gets to the place you intend the arrows to push Lyglo to. The problem occurs whenever I use a set of bounce arrows twice: the first time things work as expected, but the second time, the "stop bouncing" objects are gone and so Lyglo can't stop bouncing anymore.

I don't know what sort of programming MMF2 lets you do, but clearly the way you want to handle the bounce arrows is as follows:

1) whenever Lyglo steps on a bounce arrow, in addition to making him bounce, you should set a variable or something to indicate that Lyglo is in a "bouncing" state. I assume this would be possible since you were able to implement the fire power. If you can get the game to keep track of whether Lyglo has fire power, it should be the same deal in getting the game to keep track of whether Lyglo is bouncing under the influence of the red arrows.

2) whenever Lyglo collides with a "stop bouncing" object:
  • a) first check whether Lyglo is actually in a "bouncing" state. If not, then do nothing.
    b) if Lyglo is in a "bouncing" state, do what you're doing right now to make Lyglo stop bouncing, and then change the variable so that Lyglo is not in a "bouncing" state anymore.
    c) don't remove the "stop bouncing" object. You shouldn't need to remove it since it has no effect when Lyglo is not bouncing (if you did 2a correctly). Not removing it ensures that if Lyglo somehow manages to use a set of red arrows more than once, things will still work out correctly.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:03 am

dlcs18 wrote:Ok, I finally finished all levels in Demo 3!

I think the Level 2 in World 2 is a bit of overkill though... the biggest problem was where you have to get through the 1-tile gap just after the first Whakkas. It's frustrating trying to get through the gap because it's so small, and it doesn't need to be... can you make the gap bigger in the next demo?

I'm glad the level got easier after the 2nd avoiding blue laser part. :D
Heh... I've decided to swap Level 2 and Level 3 around, because Level 3 is easier and a bit shorter than Level 2.

As for the gap, lengthened it out to 2 tiles. Should that work?
cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Hehe... I think fixing the bounce arrows is priority one here, not World 2 Level 3. :roll:
You know, I think by now I've actually figured out how those bounce arrows work and how the problems came about. It seems that you actually have invisible "stop bouncing" objects in the levels to stop the effects of the bounce arrows once Lyglo gets to the place you intend the arrows to push Lyglo to. The problem occurs whenever I use a set of bounce arrows twice: the first time things work as expected, but the second time, the "stop bouncing" objects are gone and so Lyglo can't stop bouncing anymore.

I don't know what sort of programming MMF2 lets you do, but clearly the way you want to handle the bounce arrows is as follows:

1) whenever Lyglo steps on a bounce arrow, in addition to making him bounce, you should set a variable or something to indicate that Lyglo is in a "bouncing" state. I assume this would be possible since you were able to implement the fire power. If you can get the game to keep track of whether Lyglo has fire power, it should be the same deal in getting the game to keep track of whether Lyglo is bouncing under the influence of the red arrows.

2) whenever Lyglo collides with a "stop bouncing" object:
  • a) first check whether Lyglo is actually in a "bouncing" state. If not, then do nothing.
    b) if Lyglo is in a "bouncing" state, do what you're doing right now to make Lyglo stop bouncing, and then change the variable so that Lyglo is not in a "bouncing" state anymore.
    c) don't remove the "stop bouncing" object. You shouldn't need to remove it since it has no effect when Lyglo is not bouncing (if you did 2a correctly). Not removing it ensures that if Lyglo somehow manages to use a set of red arrows more than once, things will still work out correctly.
*smacks head* I knew I forgot something there, I knew it and I couldn't remember it! :lol:

There's already a counter recording which state Lyglo is in, Platforming or Bouncing. I forgot to make that do anything, apart from change to 1 when bouncing. Going to go try and fix that now... Thanks! :D
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:23 am

D-P

Thank you so much cbloopy, that method worked perfectly!

I just have to test through Demo 3.5 a bit more, and then hopefully release it tomorrow. It'll have level 3 of World 2 in there, and all I can say about that...

It's a lot shorter than it looks. :wink: