Boxinator Progress Topic *DISCONTINUED. TOO BAD.*

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
MyNameIsKooky wrote:For the 'two pixels off the ground' thing, you can't jump off the sides of stuff (I believe you were hugging the side of the Cirveyor and were sliding down).
I know what you're referring to here, but when I say "two pixels off the ground" I mean when I'm on a row of Cirveyors.
Odd. The whole time I've been making/playing Boxinator my controls haven't locked anywhere. :? I'll look at this more. Also, I can change the restart key to a different button if you really want.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:07 pm

R key. :)

EDIT: Or type in Restart. :P
EDIT2: Sometimes, when I try to jump, it DOES NOT WORK. Then I start over that level. :evil:
:D
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 pm

I had just defeated the Shocksphere Boss when my finger brushed the M key and I had to start ALL OVER AGAIN!!! WA!!! :cry:
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 am

Ya, you should have a box pop-up with "Do you want to restart?" and then "yes" or "No"
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:09 am

OK.

-=-BOSS GUIDE-=-

Highlight below to see it.

-YELLOW TUMBLER BOSS-

Overview: The easiest boss in the game, pretty much. If you have trouble with this one, prepare to cry on the later bosses.
Phases: 1
Battle:
PHASE 1
The Yellow Tumbler Boss will move left to right and deploy Yellow Tumblers. You must use the Yellow Tumblers to bounce up into the Yellow Tumbler Boss and damage it. Hurt the Yellow Tumbler Boss 10 times and you will win!

-RED TUMBLER BOSS-

Overview: A step up from the Yellow Tumbler Boss, this one's a little harder.
Battle:
PHASE 1
The Red Tumbler Boss will move left and right and will drop bombs at you. The battle area has pits on the sides this time, so be careful. Any bombs that land on the platform will create more holes. To hurt the Red Tumbler Boss hit it with its own bombs. To do that, jump into the bombs that it drops and the bombs will bounce back up. Hit it a few times and the Red Tumbler Boss will be defeated!

-BLUE TUMBLER BOSS-

Overview: Seeing that you got this far, you shouldn't have too many problems with this one.
Battle:
PHASE 1
The Blue Tumbler Boss will zoom around the room like crazy. Now the only platforms you have are Cirveyors. There is also a Blue Paintinator on the ceiling. Just focus on staying alive and you will damage the Blue Tumbler Boss over time by 'accidentally' bouncing into it. After a few hits this battle will be over.

-SHOCKSPHERE BOSS-

Overview: Much harder than the last bosses. Some annoying yellow bullets start to appear here.
Phases: 4
Battle:
PHASE 1
The Shocksphere Boss will shoot large yellow orbs at you. You have to dodge these. In this phase the Shocksphere Boss shoots 1 bullet at a time. After some dodging, it will shoot a Blue Dynamite at you. Blue Dynamite turns into Red Dynamite when it hits something. When the Blue Dynamite becomes Red Dynamite, it will come towards you again. To damage the Shocksphere Boss, you have to get the Red Dynamite to hit the Shocksphere Boss. To do this, jump above the Blue Dynamite as it is about to hit the ground. Red Dynamite will then reappear, and if angled correctly, it will hit the Shocksphere Boss. It takes some practice, but get used to it because you're going to do it a lot in later bosses. To continue to the next phase, hit the Shocksphere Boss once.

PHASE 2
This is like the last phase, except it will shoot bullets in a group of 1 followed by a group of 2. Despite the fact that this is the second phase, this is actually the easiest phase of the boss as the Blue Dynamite is easier to launch at the Shocksphere Boss. Damage the Shocksphere Boss again to continue to phase 3.

*CHECKPOINT*
PHASE 3
Phase 3 is like phases 1 and 2, except that bullets are shot in a group of 2 followed by a group of 3. You won't get a chance to make the Blue Dynamite hit the Shocksphere Boss the first few times it shoots it. You will have to do a bit of dodging before you can damage the Shocksphere Boss again. Once you have a chance to get the Blue Dynamite to hit the Shocksphere Boss, take it.

*CHECKPOINT*
PHASE 4
The Shocksphere Boss will begin to explode. Dodge its bullets until it goes off of the bottom of the screen. Once it does, you have won the battle!

-GREY TUMBLER BOSS-

Overview: This is the hardest boss in Demo 4.
Phases: 2
Battle:
PHASE 1

Phew, a boss fight with an entire floor. Finally. Now, the Grey Tumbler Boss will shoot 10 groups of 3 bullets at you in fast succession followed by a Blue Dynamite. You know what to do. After the Shocksphere Boss you should be pretty good at dodging those bullets. Damage the Grey Tumbler Boss 5 times to move onto the 2nd phase.

*CHECKPOINT*
PHASE 2

A Green Key will appear. Grab it and the Wurp found at the left side of the area will open. Using the Wurp, begin stacking Plocks to try to reach the Grey Tumbler Boss. Be careful, the Grey Tumbler Boss now shoots green bullets which act like Blue Dynamites except that it doesn't damage Tumbler Bosses. Once you begin making Plocks the Grey Tumbler Boss will shoot at them to destroy them. The Grey Tumbler Boss will go for the newest Plocks first, so you have to make a distraction pile of Plocks to the right first. Once you have it about 4 Plocks high, begin making another stack by the Wurp. Make sure the distraction stack is always at least 1 Plock high otherwise the Grey Tumbler Boss will go for the main stack. Once you have enough Plocks to damage the Grey Tumbler Boss, jump into it 2 or 3 times and then fix your distraction pile. Rinse and repeat. Damage the Grey Tumbler Boss 5 times in this phase to beat it!
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:51 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:If this continues to be an issue, I'll modify the collision in Demo 5.
I guess I'll just say it then: It is an issue.
If you can fix the collisions then this game will be so much more enjoyable to play then it is at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, this game is awesome already with all the cool elements in it right now but it would be even better if the collisions were less buggy. :wink:

EDIT: Is there any trick to the level where it says "These flashing metal spheres are called shockspheres."? I have tried for ages but I just can't get past those annoying two shockspheres at the start. :(
dlcs18
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Keep jumping across where those Shockspheres are over that gap. Ingore the Shockspheres and keep going Right and jump over that gap. :roll: :wink: :lol:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:04 pm

I can't just "ignore" the shockspheres. They are directly blocking me from getting over the gap and you have to time your jump really well to avoid hitting them, so if I pretend they are not even there I would just keep on dying all the time.

Since I made that last post I have managed to get past them about 3 times, but then I die later in the level so I have to go through that part all over again.
I think that MyNameIsKooky should either make the first part more forgiving, or put a checkpoint after getting past the shockspheres so if you die later in the level you don't have to try and get past them again.

EDIT: Finally got past the level...

EDIT2: Kooky, I'm not sure if you know this already, but I found out why that when you collide to the side of a wall, you don't always end up right next to it (instead being a few pixels away from it and not being able to get closer).

The sprites of both the wall and the player objects are 32x32, and when you press left or right, the player moves 5 pixels in the direction that you pressed, but since 32 is not a multiple of 5, you can't always get exactly next to the wall, so you should make the player move a number of pixels which 32 can be divided by without it resulting in a decimal. :P
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Perhaps using 3 or 6 would work better? :wink:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Perhaps using 3 or 6 would work better? :wink:
No no no no no. 32 isn't divisible by those numbers either.
I would recommend either 2, 4, or 8 (most recommend 4)

EDIT: 3300th post.
EDIT2: Reworded the post.
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Oh, whoops, I read that as 36 for some reason. :lol:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:25 pm

If anyone wants, I can make some of the levels more forgiving. However, it's too late of a stage to really edit the games physics. I'll try to do what I can.
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Why can't you just change the amount of movement from 5 to 4?
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:17 pm

The Player would move slower, messing up some jumps in most levels.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 pm

I think you should change the levels then, if it means getting the horizontal collisions fixed.

Don't forget trying to fix the vertical collisions too. :P
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Yeah, if it means a more solid collision engine then the level design should be fixed as well. The game is pretty cool, but a lot of the levels are way too hard because of the glitchy collisions. In games like IWBTG which are meant to be evil, that's fine, but here it's not the level design at all.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Thank you for your constructive critisism, but Boxinator clearly isn't working out. Why didn't someone tell me that this was bugging them during Demo 3, or even better Demo 2? :roll:

Any way, I give up. I'm going to make a different game.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:31 pm

NO! BOXINATOR ROCKS!!! :cry:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 pm

I don't care, as long as the concept is returned to by some dude sometime this century.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:I'm aware of the somewhat glitchy controls/collision engine. If this continues to be an issue, I'll modify the collision in Demo 5.
MyNameIsKooky wrote:Thank you for your constructive criticism, but Boxinator clearly isn't working out. Why didn't someone tell me that this was bugging them during Demo 3, or even better Demo 2? :roll:

Any way, I give up. I'm going to make a different game.
Wait, what?

I, for one, didn't notice the glitchy collisions save for jumping in Demo 3 or before, mainly because at the time the level design didn't accidentally show it off. However, the "Surf's up, dude" level from Demo 4 perfectly highlights my issues with the engine. The game itself is awesome, I don't personally have any complaints about the level design or graphics, the music... It's good, but it's not to my tastes.

The engine, on the other hand, is the only thing about it I don't like right now. The fact that you can't get right up to walls causes a lot of problems, along with the issue of not being able to jump right away after landing.

Apart from that, I think this is awesome. Just because the game is far into development doesn't mean that giving up is better than reworking the engine. All that would need doing would be lowering the player's movement from 5 pixels to 4. The only other thing would be jumping.

Don't give up, this looks awesome, there's just a few small things that need fixing.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 am

Well, yeah, but I wouldn't call this, you know, 'professional.'
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 pm

I knew it!
MyNameIsKooky wrote:And this is continuing. I just need a break.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Sometime later today, my brother (Sammy_Bro) will release a game called Box Walk. And there are Tumblers. BUT THEY ARE CALLED OTTOS!
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Don't advertise other games in this topic. :roll:
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Oh, sorry.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:51 pm

If/when you get back to this, make the Grey Tumbler Boss' second phase easier. I can only damage it once before dying three times.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:57 pm

OK.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 am

Bump.

I quit working on Boxinator. When Demo 1 of Wefight - The Game is released, play it. It will be far better than this worthless piece of junk.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 am

W-w-WHAT!!??!?! Don't cancel it, it was awesome!
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:24 am

People don't like it because of the collision engine. It's far too late in production to change it now.