Teen Buzz, the adult-proof ringtone: Can YOU hear it?

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Teen Buzz, the adult-proof ringtone: Can YOU hear it?

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:35 pm

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/au ... NGTONE.mp3

This is the Teen Buzz ringtone -- most teenagers hear a REALLY high-pitched annoying sound, while most adults (usually starting from 20) hear absolutely NOTHING, no matter the volume.
If you hear it, this allows you to set a ringtone on your cellphone, without the teacher having the faintest idea what's going on. :shock:

I hear it, but "on the edge" (sometimes the sound seems to slowly vanish) and I am 14.
This one is more high-pitched and I can't hear it at all:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/listverse/audio ... hfreq1.mp3

Note: Please don't disturb yourself by trying to notice the sound if you don't hear it. If you don't hear it, you will NEVER hear it, no matter how much you try.

This works because with age, people slowly lose the ability to hear extremely high-pitched sounds. It initially was used as a teenager repellant in some shops, but clever teens found a way to use this to their advantages.
While I don't know why they just don't set their phone on vibrate, teachers, take care. :shock:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
wonderlandlover
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by wonderlandlover » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 am

I heard the first one, easily, until the end, but it did start to fade. The second one I couldn't hear, but it sure drove my dog batty!

By the way, I am 34.
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:48 am

LOL this has been around for over a year. I kept hearing it at the mall and stuff like that and I originally thought that it was someone's hearing aid that wasn't adjusted correctly.

It totally bummed my son out when we both figured out what it was and that I shouldn't have been able to hear it :twisted: :twisted:

I have weird super hearing and sense of smell. I can hear and smell when a fly farts :wink: just kiddin'
Image Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
wondertown
Rainbow Wizard

Post by wondertown » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:00 am

I hear it very very Clearly and it give me a headache for a while :D
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Re: Teen Buzz, the adult-proof ringtone: Can YOU hear it?

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:21 am

Muzozavr wrote:http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/au ... NGTONE.mp3

This is the Teen Buzz ringtone -- most teenagers hear a REALLY high-pitched annoying sound, while most adults (usually starting from 20) hear absolutely NOTHING, no matter the volume.
If you hear it, this allows you to set a ringtone on your cellphone, without the teacher having the faintest idea what's going on. :shock:

I hear it, but "on the edge" (sometimes the sound seems to slowly vanish) and I am 14.
This one is more high-pitched and I can't hear it at all:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/listverse/audio ... hfreq1.mp3

Note: Please don't disturb yourself by trying to notice the sound if you don't hear it. If you don't hear it, you will NEVER hear it, no matter how much you try.

This works because with age, people slowly lose the ability to hear extremely high-pitched sounds. It initially was used as a teenager repellant in some shops, but clever teens found a way to use this to their advantages.
While I don't know why they just don't set their phone on vibrate, teachers, take care. :shock:
]
I heard this in a LOOOOOOng time ago,but never used. :lol:
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:30 am

I heard both of them, and they never fade. I ain't annoyed - bring it on (pre)teen repellers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then again, I'm only 11, so... :lol:
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:45 am

Hmm, weird, I listened to the first one and it did start to fade. And I'm 11 too.

EDIT: I listened to the second one, and it didn't fade. This one was (as Muz said) more high-pitched, so I had to turn my volume higher.
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:07 am

I heard them both perfectly clear & I'm 46 with hearing loss. Students beware if you use that for a ring tone :P

BTW who would you be calling while in class.. shouldn't all your little friends be in their perspective classes too :?
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:28 am

[size=0].[/size]
Last edited by Blast!10 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelinaus
Rainbow Keeper

Post by angelinaus » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Yup, heard them both lound and clear, and I'm 33

This was on tv ages ago, and my son vowed and declared that I couldn't hear it cause I was an adult...
:lol:
Faline, Aus..

------------------------------------------------------
an eternal optomist ... someone who believes they will recover from wonderland addiction!
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:14 pm

Funny how these companies will come up with any kind of promotion and target any type of demographic using lies. Sad really that some of us fall for it.
Image Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:32 pm

angelinaus wrote: This was on tv ages ago, and my son vowed and declared that I couldn't hear it cause I was an adult...
:lol:
When will kids EVER learn that we adults will ALWAYS be smarter than they are :lol: :lol: :lol:
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Blast!10 wrote:Unless they learn at a different school. For example, in my school there isn't a break at 13:30 while in my previous school there was.
So Blast, let me see if i have this right .. you're 11 WITH a cellphone :shock: and you've got so many important things going on in your life that you have to call your friends at school .... none of this life threatening stuff can wait until school is over :? :shock:

There is something seriously screwed up with today's society :cry: :evil:
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:05 pm

laura n. wrote:There is something seriously screwed up with today's society :cry: :evil:
I second that!
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:05 pm

laura n. wrote: and you've got so many important things going on in your life that you have to call your friends at school .... none of this life threatening stuff can wait until school is over :? :shock:
I don't. I just gave an example.

By the way, I'm not checking this topic anymore, so it will be pointless for you to yell at me.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Locked before this goes further.