Lyglo the Triangle (Updates Topic)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:37 pm

Well, since you both obviously knew how I thought of that idea, then maybe we should have a different one... :|
The only difference would be that you can't jump on the boss anyway.
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Well, I already have a room programmed akin to the bosses of SMB (NES), like so:

The luring boss won't be unused, though. Just not for world 1. :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 am

Qloof234 wrote:Only thing; Lyglo doesn't directly fight the boss. Anyone played Super Mario Bros. (NES)? That's the kind of thing I want for the boss, where you have to hit the switch at the other side of the room to defeat it.
Actually, I've played SMB, and you could also defeat the bosses with fireballs (if you still have them when you reach his lair).

But yeah, I get what you're saying.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:40 pm

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Only thing; Lyglo doesn't directly fight the boss. Anyone played Super Mario Bros. (NES)? That's the kind of thing I want for the boss, where you have to hit the switch at the other side of the room to defeat it.
Actually, I've played SMB, and you could also defeat the bosses with fireballs (if you still have them when you reach his lair).

But yeah, I get what you're saying.
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Either way, Demo 2 is done and online! However, it doesn't have the boss of world 1 in it. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gvwtxtgnzme

Known bugs:

Lyglo still gets caught on the roof
Whakkas still act really weird
Lyglo can get stuck in a wall in level 3 (Thanks Dlcs)
Lyglo's shadow can't catch up with him (hub)
Slightly odd collision on hub
Game Over screen needs to be fixed (Try again button)

If there's anything else, then post here or send me a PM. :wink:

EDIT: lol typo
Last edited by Qloof234 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:59 pm

I can't get past the begining of level 3! Lyglo keeps sticking to the wall and won't go into the hole! :cry:

Other than that, AWESOME game so far! :D
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:05 pm

jdl wrote:I can't get past the begining of level 3! Lyglo keeps sticking to the wall and won't go into the hole! :cry:

Other than that, AWESOME game so far! :D
Thanks for the compliment!

As for getting stuck, do you mean at the part with the arrows, or the part where Lyglo has to jump over all the spikes? If it's the area with the arrows, then climb to the top of the ladder and drop on the arrows - don't move directly into them. :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Not bad. I find that when actually seeing Lyglo moving around in the hub, the view looks convincingly isometric/parallel even despite the squareness of the islands, so maybe the complain I was having with the screenshots are only because they were screenshots and not live.

I still find the controls for Lyglo not that great. I particular don't like how whenever Lyglo touches a wall, you lose control over left/right in his jumping/falling. I got stuck for a bit at the start of level 2 for example due to this.

I'm also really waiting for Try Again to not force me to go through previous levels.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 pm

cbloopy wrote:Not bad. I find that when actually seeing Lyglo moving around in the hub, the view looks convincingly isometric/parallel even despite the squareness of the islands, so maybe the complain I was having with the screenshots are only because they were screenshots and not live.

Thanks.

Either way, I'm working on a different hub system right now that makes it look less flat. Unfortunately, I had it done and at that exact moment MMF2 froze for no reason... :x
cbloopy wrote:I still find the controls for Lyglo not that great. I particular don't like how whenever Lyglo touches a wall, you lose control over left/right in his jumping/falling. I got stuck for a bit at the start of level 2 for example due to this.
This is one of the big issues that I can't get around, nor can I find the cause of. I'm not sure why my original fix (having Lyglo bounce down when he hits the ceiling) didn't stick. Then again, if it had, I would've taken a longer time building levels.
cbloopy wrote:I'm also really waiting for Try Again to not force me to go through previous levels.
This is, like above, a big issue that I can't find a way to get around. When I programmed it at first, I meant for it to be like one of those retro games, but then once I realized the difficulty of some levels (*coughcoughlevel5coughcough*) I knew I would have to change it to restart that level or go back to the hub.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Qloof234 wrote:but then once I realized the difficulty of some levels (*coughcoughlevel5coughcough*)
Level 5?!? Level 2 is already a big pain for me, thanks to the touch-wall-and-you-lose-all-control problem, and of course I have to replay this blasted level over and over because you end up back on level 1 if you game over. I don't think I can play this game any longer until you fix some of these issues. :| Or maybe at least re-order level 2 to some higher level number, since I'm definitely having more difficulty with it compare to level 3 and 4 I think.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Which part of level 2? I don't see any problem with it at all, even when I'm half asleep.

Which is very often.

I move level 2 to between level 4 and 5, if necessary. But I honestly don't see a problem with its current location. :?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:47 am

Qloof234 wrote:Which part of level 2? I don't see any problem with it at all, even when I'm half asleep.
The beginning for starters. I find that if I press jump and right at the same time, I tend to hit the wall/ceiling bricks above the landing place, and then I fall into the spikes to the left of the landing place. So I find myself having to jump straight up and then bend the fall to the right, but then it's easy to slip too far right and fall into the spikes on the right instead, unless you take care to do another jump as soon as you land.

Took a while to get the hang of it, and I still can't do it consistently.

Then at the part where you pick up the high jump, for some reason while I had little difficulty with it the first few times, now I run into the problem where whenever I try jumping up to the ledge, I have trouble not touching the wall and so I just end up not getting up there and falling, and depend on my luck I might or might not be able to bend my fall to the left sufficiently to not fall to my death.

Even the end where I have to jump off the ladder can be a little troublesome, for similar reasons.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am

I've played a little more and I think I getting a little more used to the quirkiness of your game's controls, so I'm getting better gradually. Still, I don't remember having this much trouble with the controls when I played Super Mario Bros and the like.

Currently my best now is on level 4, hampered by a jump where the hi-jump power's quirkiness interferes with my attemp to jump to a platform w/o hitting my head in the ceiling (which causes me to fall and then unable to bend my fall to get to the platform).
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:00 am

Qloof234 wrote:I move level 2 to between level 4 and 5, if necessary. But I honestly don't see a problem with its current location. :?
Level 3 is unquestionably easier than level 2, and level 2 to me is a huge leap in difficulty compare with level 1, whereas level 3 is more like level 1 in difficulty.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:00 am

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Which part of level 2? I don't see any problem with it at all, even when I'm half asleep.
The beginning for starters. I find that if I press jump and right at the same time, I tend to hit the wall/ceiling bricks above the landing place, and then I fall into the spikes to the left of the landing place. So I find myself having to jump straight up and then bend the fall to the right, but then it's easy to slip too far right and fall into the spikes on the right instead, unless you take care to do another jump as soon as you land.

Took a while to get the hang of it, and I still can't do it consistently.
Fixed this - removed the awkwardly low ceiling so it's easier to land on the block, and jump onto the red arrows.
cbloopy wrote:Then at the part where you pick up the high jump, for some reason while I had little difficulty with it the first few times, now I run into the problem where whenever I try jumping up to the ledge, I have trouble not touching the wall and so I just end up not getting up there and falling, and depend on my luck I might or might not be able to bend my fall to the left sufficiently to not fall to my death.
Fixed it - moved the ledge down a bit and added another block to it on the end, and moved the landing section at the top down by 32 pixels so that it's possible to land without hitting the ceiling.
cbloopy wrote:Even the end where I have to jump off the ladder can be a little troublesome, for similar reasons.
Whoops - What I meant for this was for the player to climb the ladder the whole way up, and then walk to the exit.

I'm not sure how to fix this... Suggestions? :?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:45 am

Double-post

How's this for false 3D?

:wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
cbloopy wrote:Even the end where I have to jump off the ladder can be a little troublesome, for similar reasons.
Whoops - What I meant for this was for the player to climb the ladder the whole way up, and then walk to the exit.

I'm not sure how to fix this... Suggestions? :?
Well, right now there're one-tile gaps on both side of the ladder from the ledges at the top. If there are no gaps between the ladder and the ledges then it'll be more obvious to the player that he can just walk off the ladder w/o falling off.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 pm

Okay then. Updates to level 2:

The ceiling is high enough so that Lyglo can't collide with it and fall into the spikes.

The ledge has been changed to a one-way platform that Lyglo can jump up through to land on. Ceiling is higher and the landing area is lower to prevent collision with the roof. Also shows updated "steps" area.

Updated ladder area. Has two platform blocks beside the ladder to prevent a bizarre engine glitch and so the player can see that they can walk over to the goal.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 am

Has anyone made past the spikes on level 5? I find it very hard to control the distance of my jumping/falling to avoid the GIANT spikes. :roll: :lol: I appreciate this is a boss level and should have a little bit of difficulty, but it's like I'm breezing through most of the level and then just get stuck there over and over, making very little progress try after try. Maybe fewer spikes spaced further apart?
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:28 am

I've beaten Level 5, so I've got past whatever area you are talking about because I forgot. :lol:
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:59 pm

cbloopy wrote:Has anyone made past the spikes on level 5? I find it very hard to control the distance of my jumping/falling to avoid the GIANT spikes. :roll: :lol: I appreciate this is a boss level and should have a little bit of difficulty, but it's like I'm breezing through most of the level and then just get stuck there over and over, making very little progress try after try. Maybe fewer spikes spaced further apart?
This part... I'm going to fix this today.

I intended to but I guess it slipped my mind. :oops:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:23 pm

AWESOME DEMO!!! :D

Lyglo getting stuck because he hit the ceiling can be annoying though.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:55 pm

GREAT!!! :D :D :D

Those wakkas don't know when to stop! :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 pm

cbloopy wrote:Has anyone made past the spikes on level 5? I find it very hard to control the distance of my jumping/falling to avoid the GIANT spikes. :roll: :lol:
Yay! I finally made past the spikes and finished the demo!

Maybe I'm just spoiled from playing games like Wonderland where you can save state anytime anywhere. I think I'm just too impatient with having to replay the easy parts first in order to get to a hard part again, which makes it more difficult and tedious to "practice" for the hard part. Again, having the option to not start all the way from the beginning at Game Over might help.

Nice thing about this is, you could re-use some of the levels, keeping it in its original, trickier version, to make them harder later. (eg. You could have a repeat of level 5 with the original spike distances, to make it a later level with more difficulty).

I think it's time we see some new monsters. The Whakkas are for the most part kind of a joke. May a suggest the fire flower as the next monster addition? (I'm thinking SMB-style fireflowers, though WA fireflowers are very similar too.) Also, many platformers have you collect stuff as you go through a level (eg. coins in Mario) for higher score, maybe it's time Lyglo have stuff to collect and score to keep?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Like... *wondering what fits the feel of the game* Pinballs! :lol:
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:50 pm

cbloopy wrote:Maybe I'm just spoiled from playing games like Wonderland where you can save state anytime anywhere. I think I'm just too impatient with having to replay the easy parts first in order to get to a hard part again, which makes it more difficult and tedious to "practice" for the hard part. Again, having the option to not start all the way from the beginning at Game Over might help.
I'm still trying to rack my brain in an effort to find some way to get the Game Over screen to reset to the hub the player was at. One idea could be to remove the screen entirely and have it some sort of message that pops up on the hub (which Lyglo could teleport back to once he loses all his lives)
cbloopy wrote:Nice thing about this is, you could re-use some of the levels, keeping it in its original, trickier version, to make them harder later. (eg. You could have a repeat of level 5 with the original spike distances, to make it a later level with more difficulty).
Secret levels, anyone? :lol:
cbloopy wrote:I think it's time we see some new monsters. The Whakkas are for the most part kind of a joke. May a suggest the fire flower as the next monster addition? (I'm thinking SMB-style fireflowers, though WA fireflowers are very similar too.) Also, many platformers have you collect stuff as you go through a level (eg. coins in Mario) for higher score, maybe it's time Lyglo have stuff to collect and score to keep?
I think what I could do would be something like the game N - you have a time limit of 5 minutes or so, and every coin you pick up counts for score and adds a few seconds on to the clock. Of course, I could probably find a way to put in an option for removing the clock, so that it's like Wonderland in that regard.

As for enemies, I could probably put in Fire Flowers like the ones from Mario. Maybe have some shoot projectiles that home in on the player? :wink:

Anyways, new updates to the boss and level 5.

This is what the boss room looks like now. The spike balls are the boss, and yes, it is based off of WA's spikeyballs. They bounce around randomly, but the boss still is difficult.

This is how Level 5 looks now. It's still a separate level from the boss, and the tileset is different, but it's still level 5.

Also the spikes have been moved around a bit.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Qloof234 wrote:As for enemies, I could probably put in Fire Flowers like the ones from Mario.
I thought the fire flower was an upgrade that made Mario shoot fireballs. :?
Do you mean the Piranha Plants that spit out fireballs?

Nice screenshots BTW :D
dlcs18
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:11 am

dlcs18 wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:As for enemies, I could probably put in Fire Flowers like the ones from Mario.
I thought the fire flower was an upgrade that made Mario shoot fireballs. :?
Do you mean the Piranha Plants that spit out fireballs?
Yeah exactly, the Piranha plants. You can see how after playing WA it's easy for me to get them mixed up. :wink: :lol:
boywhoflies
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by boywhoflies » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:53 pm

Just a idea, but can you add wall jumping?Sorry if ti is allready there. :lol:
Mr. Robot never dies! :D

Chatroom
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:21 pm

It's not ingame yet, but I do plan on putting in a wall jump feature.
boywhoflies
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by boywhoflies » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Ya-hoo! :D :D :D
Mr. Robot never dies! :D

Chatroom