Possibly my final rant, and also maybe the most important...

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Possibly my final rant, and also maybe the most important...

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:13 pm

*sigh*.... I know this will offend at least a few people. Be warned. I'll try not to name people.

Ever since 2008, I've been finding that there are more ignorant or immature users joining the forum than users that may make a very good addition to the community. Some don't speak english fluently enough to be understood, thus people accidentally offend them, and then they get all mad. Some of them just don't read the tutorials and instead want to look stupid and post things like "how do u maek backrounfs?"

So far the Off-topic forum is the most popular. The community is "degrading" slowly, and it's following the path towards its doom. I have very little faith that it'll make it until the next Wonderland game if it keeps getting worse at this rate. I'd hate to see this forum deserted and abandoned, but this may be the case. How sad.

I admit, I used to be an immature, ignorant user on forums. I've grown up. I wish others could do that too.

Please, add whatever you feel necessary in a reply.

~xpr'd... maybe for the last time
Last edited by ~xpr'd~ on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Like I said on Skype - I can say that I honestly feel the same way.

Back a long time ago, before Wonderland Adventures, there were very few non-English speakers on the forum, or at least very few people who didn't understand it. Compare it to now, when there are quite a few who don't understand it and get enraged when someone points it out (not naming anyone here).

I can't honestly say that I'm optimistic about the forum's path - the forum rules seem to have faded into obscurity, because I'm seeing some of them broken on a regular basis with no action taken by anyone except for the users saying it's not nice or anything. I'm sorry, Patrick, but I really think that we need a few more admins or maybe moderators on this forum.

I understand that my response to this post may very well be my last as well - be it my decision to leave, or be it banned from the forums. However, I think this is a serious problem that should be addressed, because the original charm that the forum had to begin with has been completely lost, if not demolished - I see very few of the older users posting these days, and even less people who follow the rules as much as the older users did.

I'll admit as well - I was once very immature and made lots of mistakes. That was 6 years ago, and now I know better than that. I know that it feels bad to be talked to roughly if you're young, and I still feel somewhat guilty for some of my past mistakes. However, what's happening now with lots of newer users who don't pay attention to the rules or double-post endlessly is going beyond a small problem. It's tearing the forum to pieces.

Despite everything that's gone right for our Forum, it's not going to be able to handle the amount of stress happening at this point in time. Soon enough, it'll be at a make it or break it point, where experienced users begin to leave and there are more users who don't pay attention. I can think of multiple reasons why we'd want to avoid that.

Don't think I have something against younger people joining - I don't. What I do have a problem with is the fact that the forum rules, which at first were enforced very strictly, have fallen into obscurity. When I said that I see some of the rules broken regularly, I wasn't exaggerating or making that up. The former double-post rule is literally non-existant now, because there are many double-posts made every day.

In my regular life, I'm silly and childish, and I know it. Just because of that doesn't mean I have to act like the same person on the forum. I feel like a completely different person on this forum, and it's one of the greatest senses of belonging I've ever felt. I've always been an outcast - be it at school, or at camp, or anything - and this forum is one of the only places I feel like I belong at. I don't want that to change. Ever.

Unfortunately, the way that things are right now, it looks like it's going to change very soon, regardless of how I feel. To be perfectly honest, I really feel like some serious action is needed, because I don't see anything happening to prevent this forum's downfall.

I don't want to be there to see it happen - I want it to be stopped before it's too late.

I'm aware that I could lose my posting privileges after this. However, if it means the forum will become a better place, in my opinion it's worth the risk.

That's all I have to say for now... and maybe forever.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:54 pm

I agree. I strongly agree.

I know the forum is going to come to an end someday. I hope it's not anytime soon, because that would be the worst New Year's present ever.

I remember the forum a long time ago... before you think I remember it. I was stupid and ignorant and childish and posted really stupid posts or spam.

Recently, there was one user on the Sonic Retro Forums that was incredibly stupid, didn't use words right, insulted everyone, and posted spam. He hated everything, then he blamed it on other people and left. You see, I'd rather have a forum with good discussion quite rarely, than one extremely active with a bunch of spamming, invincible ****s on it. The people who left did so of their own will, because they couldn't handle making decent discussion enough to WANT to stay! That's the difference between what happened on the Sonic Retro Forums and what's ABOUT to happen here!

I fully understand if you hate me now, but I'm serious! I don't want this forum to be abandoned and then taken over by spammers! This forum DESERVES to live. Some of the users on here, however, sure don't act like they want it to.

~xpr'd~

I feel guilty for some reason.
Last edited by ~xpr'd~ on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
she/her | Sayori#2285
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:57 pm

I don't have anything to say that you two havn't. :)

I totally agree with both of you. :)
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:06 am

I agree 100%.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:21 am

I also agree 100%, but Qloof, you don't think MS would really ban you for stating your opinions on the current state of the forum, do you? He's too nice to do that. :P
dlcs18
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am

I also agree. The forum needs to be saved.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:59 am

I agree 110%.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:34 am

Yes, I'd like some changes around here. :)
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:39 am

I agree 210%.

Like Emerald141 said, the forum needs to be saved.
:D
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:40 am

I agree 100%, but sadly, I saw this coming a while ago, when users were on less and less.
I even considered telling everyone, or even leaving! But I stayed, but took a break. I may leave or be banned if this gets much worse.

I know I was immature at one point, but I have changed.

BTW, this is the longest post I have made via DS.

I'm sorry
DEEMAN223344
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:03 am

Nobody (the user) hasn't been on in a while, possibly because of this. Wefight is missing an element without him. :(

THIS FORUM MUST BE SAVED!
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:06 am

DEEMAN223344 wrote:I saw this coming a while ago, when users were on less and less.
I even considered telling everyone, or even leaving!
Well, that really wouldn't've helped, since you just stated users weren't coming on as much. Please, next time, don't hold your peace either.
she/her | Sayori#2285
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:25 am

Well said, Qloof. :roll:
tails the fox
Rainbow Master

Post by tails the fox » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:26 am

THIS oh ho ho THIS Is why i left the forum if you look at my signiture and my avatar i left the forum because of my rudeness, meanyness, kacpero, and because i didnt take advice and i was being TOOO rude... this is why i left the forum bbut i still agree 400%
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:42 am

I agree 100%, this forum must be saved.
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:42 am

tails the fox wrote:THIS oh ho ho THIS Is why i left the forum if you look at my signiture and my avatar i left the forum because of my rudeness, meanyness, and because i didnt take advice and i was being TOOO rude...
Well, if you change your ways we may be able to forgive you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:14 am

"May" be able to? I was like that once, and I'm fully aware of it. I don't view myself as incredibly mature, but I know that it's possible to go from tails' position to where I am now, because I did.
elvis
Gold Wonderlander

Post by elvis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:53 am

I am not trying to be stupid now. But what is kacpero?(I am not very good at english)
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 am

Qloof234 wrote:"May" be able to? I was like that once, and I'm fully aware of it. I don't view myself as incredibly mature, but I know that it's possible to go from tails' position to where I am now, because I did.
When I said "May" I meant "Can." When it comes to this stuff I'm not very good at wording. Today, I still don't think I'm mature. I doubt anyone thinks I am, anyways.
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:33 am

elvis wrote:I am not trying to be stupid now. But what is kacpero?(I am not very good at english)
Kacpero is a user on this forum. :wink:
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:46 am

dlcs18 wrote:I also agree 100%, but Qloof, you don't think MS would really ban you for stating your opinions on the current state of the forum, do you? He's too nice to do that. :P
A bit late, and I already answered on Skype, but I might as well post my reasoning here.

From what I can remember, there has never once been an issue on this magnitude on these forums. I'm merely taking precautions, because I'm worried about what's going to happen next. I'm anticipating Patrick's reaction, but I'm still going to be cautious about it seeing as incidents in this realm of "eventful" are few and far between here.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:27 am

Before I express my opinion, a way to change the forum is by using PG rated (G rated is the best) words. I have seen some people continusly using PG13 rated words and that is not good because kids might follow them.

Yes, I was one of the major troublemaker in the past, it just takes time for anyone to grow up. Not like you are grown up and do something like this:
Different people's ideas about wolves:
Kids: Wolves are bad and scary
Teens: Wolves are mysterious and Cool
Adults: Wolves are precious and expensive
Merchants: Wolves are $$$ and $$$
But when you can respect different people's opinions and treat everyone nicely. Grammer is not my checklist of being mature, because not everyone know English well. Just because Japenses and Chinese doesn't know English well doesn't mean they are a bunch of hopeless idiots.

If someone made errors, it is an essential part for them to correct the errors rather than just saying "YOU MADE AN ERROR AND YOU MUST BE BANNED" or something like that. We are not computers. Only computers do that when they got an exception (and hopefully they got an option to skip the exceptions as well)

Kids share their opinions freely without any thinkings. That's a good thing, the only thing we need to add is some respect.

That's all I could think of for now. Regardless of the forum's condition, WonderForum will still be open to everyone.

tyteen

@Qloof: Exactly the same condition :P
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:40 am

Really, the only place that got hit hard by this is the off-topic discussions. Which is why Patrick should put the previously existant "silly stuff" subforum back where it belongs. It was a GREAT idea, and even though some people STILL ignored it, it lessened the problems tremendously.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:37 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Patrick should put the previously existant "silly stuff" subforum back where it belongs. It was a GREAT idea, and it lessened the problems tremendously.
This. It did seem to be a bit overused, but it did really cut down on the useless posts elsewhere. There's not much else I can say, everything's pretty much been covered. So.... yeah.

~xpr'd~
she/her | Sayori#2285
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Speaking of mods and admins, isn't MS the only one? Maybe he could recruit some moderators, like one or two for every forum to keep an eye on them. This probably won't happen, but oh well.

With all of these flame wars, I'm close to leaving. :?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:03 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:[...]when you can respect different people's opinions and treat everyone nicely. Grammer is not my checklist of being mature, because not everyone know English well. Just because Japenses and Chinese doesn't know English well doesn't mean they are a bunch of hopeless idiots.

If someone made errors, it is an essential part for them to correct the errors rather than just saying "YOU MADE AN ERROR AND YOU MUST BE BANNED" or something like that. We are not computers. Only computers do that when they got an exception (and hopefully they got an option to skip the exceptions as well)

Kids share their opinions freely without any thinkings. That's a good thing, the only thing we need to add is some respect. [...]
I'm not a fan of just linking to an image in response, but...

I feel like that was necessary in this situation.
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:22 am

Qloof234 wrote:Image
I agree.
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:41 am

ben-09 wrote:
elvis wrote:I am not trying to be stupid now. But what is kacpero?(I am not very good at english)
Kacpero is a user on this forum. :wink:
Do you mean Kacpero is a SPAMMER on the forum? I guess he started all of this. :roll:
:D
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:43 am

Pointing fingers will get us nowhere. :roll:

I have managed to squeeze a link to this topic into my signature, and I think several other people should too. We need to get Patrick's attention.