Moderators - Comments

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:34 am

^_^ wrote:I wanna be in teh debate.
Nah, it is already over.

Or is it
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:35 am

Tyteen, I don't agree. Since Deeman has signed off for moderator, there is no need to discuss it anymore.

About the poll; I think it's still no democracy here. :wink: It would mean that almost 12000 people could vote, while there only about 40 ? are still active in the off-topic's.
User avatar
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm not talking about him being a moderator - if he wants to or doesn't want to, that's fine by me. What I don't think is fine is the way he responds to people who make a mistake or disagree with him, which is what I'm trying to sort out here.

If he does or doesn't want to be a moderator doesn't affect my feelings or anyone else's IMO - what does is when he responds harshly to someone he disagrees with or the like, which is what I want to get straightened out.

If you're asking me to take it to another topic or something, that's fine by me, I just want to make sure we can figure out what's going on so it doesn't happen again.
Image
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Qloof, if I would say to someone who I don't like very much, and with who I'm always in trouble: "This is actually off-topic, and since we're still talking about moderators, you'd rather make a new topic about it", and I would say to someone I agree with about lots of things, like you: "You're a good boy, and it's OK that you post it here", I could impossibly take myself serious, because I would be very inconsistent. Therefore..........

..... well I recommend Deeman's "debate" topic. :lol:
~xpr'd~ wrote:Well, I'd like to be a moderator since there's a lot going on on the forum that really needs some help. Patrick really can't keep up with every post that's spammy or offensive and the sort, so I basically want to give a lending hand until the Off-topic section isn't so much of as what it is now. I honestly don't know if I'll be a good moderator or if I can convince anyone. But if I have a small chance to at least try, then you'll know and I'll know too. Some other people have said I'll do well, and some people have said I'll do badly. If I didn't answer all of your questions, then just tell me and I gladly will.
I appreciate that you, besides answering my 3 questions, also responded on the 2 examples I mentioned. As you can see in the "explanation-topic" I don't agree with you, but first, it is very hard for someone on this forum to say something where I 100% agree with, and second, that wasn't my intention at all. It was only my intention that potential moderators should state and explain their opinions instead of saying: "What??!" or such.

About the 3 questions: Thanks for answering the first one, and I admire that you admit not being able to answer the 2nd and 3rd question, instead of desperately trying to find an answer. Therefore I would like to give you(if it was my decision)
a small chance to at least try
with that condition that you and Blast also at least try to practice express and explain your opinion while doing moderator actions.

______________

So, admiral Pachayev, I would recommend the next crew members to be staff of the Wonderprise Next Generation:

Captain Qlicard : Captain.
Commander Tyker: First officer (number one)

and for a temporarily job, to see how it goes:

Lieutenant Commander Blata : Science officer.
Lieutenant Xporf : Chief of Security.

With those conditions that the 3rd and 4rth mentioned, are going to get some bridge-experience, before sitting in the captain's chair.

At your service: Counselor Matroi.

BTW, if you want to hire more folks, I can do the job interview's for you. :wink:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:13 pm

When are there going to be moderators?
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Patrick?
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:32 pm

I suggest send him a PM, an email, and try to get his number, so you can call him on the phone. :lol:
Image
User avatar
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4551
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Post by Emerald141 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Wait, didn't Patrick say he threw his back out and that he'd be unavailable for a while?
The Rest of the Story
My Level List

Seek light, brothers.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 pm

Yes, sort of. His Ibuprofen post was his last so far: http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ht=#261174

What also made me curious is that while BB has nothing to say about moderators (his only posts here were off topic questions to Deeman) he's so in a hurry to get moderators. :o
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Why does that make you curious?
User avatar
boywhoflies
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Post by boywhoflies » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:54 pm

I don't think he is avalible.I've PMed him 2 times(One today, one about half a month ago) saying that I would like to be a mod, but no reply so far.

I hope he's ok... :(
Mr. Robot never dies! :D

Chatroom
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:10 am

BB, I think the question why someone is curious is hard to answer, and I think you know that as well as I do. But I'll try to answer: Well, perhaps it seems contradictory to me; you want something to know, where you don't have your own opinion about. You are talking about off-topic, while you talk off topic yourself. You are talking about thing are purposeless, while you post purposeless things yourself. You say something about so many smiley's and you quote all the same smiley's yourself. So, it makes me curious because it seems so very contradictory / inconsistent to me.


I realize I said it a wrong way. Let me ask this: Why are you so in a hurry about those moderators, while you actually have nothing to say about them?

Flying Boy, if you want to be a moderator, you'd better not over-use smiley's :wink: (The wink is very popular, isn't it? 8) )

Also, if you want to be a moderator you'd better post it here instead of sending Patrick a PM, so other people can give their opinion.

BTW, I hope he's OK too.
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:24 am

Marinus wrote:BB, I think the question why someone is curious is hard to answer, and I think you know that as well as I do. But I'll try to answer: Well, perhaps it seems contradictory to me; you want something to know, where you don't have your own opinion about. You are talking about off-topic, while you talk off topic yourself. You are talking about thing are purposeless, while you post purposeless things yourself. You say something about so many smiley's and you quote all the same smiley's yourself. So, it makes me curious because it seems so very contradictory / inconsistent to me.
I wanted to know if the other topic with the ALT letters still existed. If it did, then it was pointless to create a new one. And, it wasn't the smileys that I didn't like in the first place. Although I don't really like them being used lots in a row anyway. The sooner the moderators, the sooner this forum gets better. I'd rather not interfere, because my opinions would probably be wrong. And what things of mine are purposeless?
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:46 am

billy bob wrote:I wanted to know if the other topic with the ALT letters still existed. If it did, then it was pointless to create a new one.
So, if there is a chance there is another topic about the same thing, (a while ago) then someone else has to search for it before making a new topic about it? And you Billy Bob are the one who should tell them that it is pointless to make a new topic?
And, it wasn't the smileys that I didn't like in the first place.
So why did you post that?
Although I don't really like them being used lots in a row anyway.
At least one thing you and I agree about. With one difference: I would not quote all those same smileys.
The sooner the moderators, the sooner this forum gets better.
And what would moderators do, what the "common" people can't?
I'd rather not interfere, because my opinions would probably be wrong.
Is that what you really believe, or do you say that because other people say it?
And what things of mine are purposeless?
The post in the "Silly symbols" topic perhaps, like I said before? Maybe telling other people what they should do or not do? Perhaps telling other people that their post is purposeless, while other people may find your post purposeless? Just a few ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl8r9M4TYJE
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:01 am

Marinus wrote:
billy bob wrote:I wanted to know if the other topic with the ALT letters still existed. If it did, then it was pointless to create a new one.
So, if there is a chance there is another topic about the same thing, (a while ago) then someone else has to search for it before making a new topic about it? And you Billy Bob are the one who should tell them that it is pointless to make a new topic?
You might as well post on the old topic rather than post a new topic about the same thing.
Marinus wrote:
billy bob wrote:And, it wasn't the smileys that I didn't like in the first place.
So why did you post that?
Because I listed the things I didn't like about it.
Marinus wrote:
billy bob wrote:The sooner the moderators, the sooner this forum gets better.
And what would moderators do, what the "common" people can't?
Moderate.
Marinus wrote:
billy bob wrote:I'd rather not interfere, because my opinions would probably be wrong.
Is that what you really believe, or do you say that because other people say it?
They all have been in the past.
Marinus wrote:
And what things of mine are purposeless?
The post in the "Silly symbols" topic perhaps, like I said before? Maybe telling other people what they should do or not do? Perhaps telling other people that their post is purposeless, while other people may find your post purposeless? Just a few ideas.
Do you think I should have sent a PM to Patrick instead?
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:02 am

Marinus wrote:.
The sooner the moderators, the sooner this forum gets better.
And what would moderators do, what the "common" people can't?
Having moderators is like having a bunch of patrick clones.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 am

BB you didn't answer one of my questions.

Deeman, there are no Patrick clones. There is only ONE Patrick. He's unique.
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 am

Marinus wrote:BB you didn't answer one of my questions.
I answered all your questions didn't I?
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:28 am

No, you answered none of them:

- So, if there is a chance there is another topic about the same thing, (a while ago) then someone else has to search for it before making a new topic about it?

- And you Billy Bob are the one who should tell them that it is pointless to make a new topic?

- billy bob wrote:
And, it wasn't the smileys that I didn't like in the first place.
So why did you post that?
Because I listed the things I didn't like about it. M: which wasn't the smileys? So what was it?

- And what would moderators do, what the "common" people can't?
Moderate. M: so what else then other people can do? What do you mean with moderate?

- Is that what you really believe, or do you say that because other people say it? M: You don't do anything else then interfere, no matter if your opinion is right or wrong. And you don't even care about it.

- Do you think I should have sent a PM to Patrick instead? M: About what? Your purposeless posts?

Edit: The last one was not a question I asked you, but only an answer to your question. Then you replied with something that didn't make any sense to me.
Image
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:46 am

Ok, think about it as long as you you want. But remember: As long as you keep telling other people what they should do or not do, until they get sick of it, I'll keep asking you critical questions until you get sick of it, if that's what you want.

Good night.
Image
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:32 am

*headdeask* I didn't mean it literally. I meant that they can moderate and common members cannot.
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:14 am

Marinus wrote:Tyteen, I don't agree. Since Deeman has signed off for moderator, there is no need to discuss it anymore.

About the poll; I think it's still no democracy here. :wink: It would mean that almost 12000 people could vote, while there only about 40 ? are still active in the off-topic's.
Only about 250 actually posted in the forum, others are just lurking around or is a spambot.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:51 am

Deeman, Oh yes, moderate, the magic word. You still seem to ignore what I said and asked you about being a moderator, that a moderator still is responsible for his/her actions, and should give clear explanations for them. Without that, all moderation is, like we say in Dutch: "baked air".
(headdeask yourself, whatever you may mean with that, and with or without seeing ** (stars))

Tyteen, thanks, but actually the exact numbers are not really that important to me. All I wanted to say is the results of a poll would be very unreliable, because all those lurkers would have the same vote as the people who are actually doing their best for this forum. And the people with more then one account would also have more then one vote.
Image
User avatar
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am
Contact:

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:49 am

(action on this soon - no I haven't forgotten about it)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:15 am

I see Qloof's name in green. No more information yet?
Image
Locked