If You've Caught the Purple Star in WA3, Read This! *SOLVED*

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

If You've Caught the Purple Star in WA3, Read This! *SOLVED*

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:32 am

UNLESS YOU'VE CAUGHT THE PURPLE STAR, DON'T READ THIS TOPIC BECAUSE THERE'S SPOILERS! CAPS LOCK.

EDIT: THE PUZZLE HAS BEEN SOLVED!
SOLUTION (highlight to read) wrote:The purple star's secret differs from player to player just like Loopy's Secret did. The purple star's secret is a piece of a message, unlike Loopy's Secret, which was an input.

The completed message is this:
"A flower grows for one minute every noon and midnight. If you plant it on Barren's face, new life will start there."

Wait around at the Wonderland Academy, near the black spot where the blue flower guy was. When your system time hits 12:00 (can be either AM or PM), a blue flower item will appear for a short time. Collect it and use it on the dark side of Barren, on the face where you found the Map Room. Once you do that, you'll gain the stars necessary to pass through the final star gate!

Oh man.

Just a few hours ago I became the first non-tester to catch the purple star in Star Town through illegal usage of Grow magic. Just before my stinker got arrested by the nonexistent authorities, I learned that the purple star's secret was as follows: "3 2 OOANDN"

At first I thought this was some extremely vague clue to something I was supposed to do in-game. Since I was still all fired up from opening the last golden gate and getting my 135th star (my, this is a long game!), I spent a few hours trying many desultory things that I thought were relevant to the secret. Of course, none of them worked.

At one point of my futile struggle, I checked the forums and saw that MS had responded to a complaint I posted in the WA3 Full Spoilers topic about how vague this secret was. He said that this puzzle would be hard to solve without other people having beat the game as well. Nonetheless, being obstinate as ever, I chugged forward, still determined to find the meaning of the secret myself. Of course, I didn't find the meaning and ultimately gave up.

Just a short while ago, I came to a realization. This felt all too familiar. Where before have we worked with random and enigmatic strings of letters or numbers? MOFI! MOFI had "Loopy's Secrets." In MOFI, Loopy would tell the player a set of four numbers. These numbers would be different for every player who played the game, meaning that these numbers were "randomly generated." The player would then use these numbers to solve a puzzle in order to reach the SUPER DUPER SECRET AREA.

So why does that situation in MOFI matter? Well, I think there's a similar situation here in POTZ. From what I gather, this secret that the purple star tells to the player is randomly generated, differing from player to player, much like what happened with Loopy's Secrets in MOFI.

But unlike in MOFI, I have not found any place to input numbers or letters in POTZ. Thus, I believe that Purply's Secret (:?) is not meant to be an input, but rather a piece of an actual message. I say it's a piece of a message because MS hinted that collaboration between WA3 completionists would be necessary to solve this final puzzle. Assuming that each player has a different version of Purply's Secret, we'd all have to put together our pieces of the message to get the full message.

So that's why this topic exists: people can post their versions of Purply's Secret here and we can see how it all connects. As such, I ought to say that this topic obviously isn't about just me or you; it's about our community as a whole!

Anyway, people who have gotten past the golden gates may have noticed something: there's a tollgate that requires 142 gold stars to open. This is a tad bit more than the 135 star max we'd all currently have by this time. Also, at the point when we get 135 stars, we're able to catch Purply and learn all of his embarrassing personal secrets.

Considering that there's a seven star gap between the catching of Purply and that ominous tollgate, something needs to be done in-game to find and collect the missing stars, thus making the tollgate passable. That's where Purply's Secret comes in: we're going to compile his message and learn what we need to do in order to find these missing stars.

tl;dr: The purple star's secret differs from player to player just like Loopy's Secret did. The purple star's secret is a piece of a message, unlike Loopy's Secret, which was an input. We will use this topic to compile all of the versions of the purple star's secret to create a full message, which will likely tell us what to do next.

With all that aside, let's get to compiling the secret! If you've caught the purple star, post your version of the secret in this topic.

I'll keep a list here in the main post for our convenience.

Unadulterated list...

3 2 OOANDN (MyNameIsKooky)
3 4 CANEWE (mako)
2 3 THFIOY (mako again)
2 4 RRNEFS (yot yot5)
1 5 ILEFIW (StinkerSquad01)
1 3 IMNDGI (Qloof234)

After translating using this...

3 2 OONAND (MyNameIsKooky)
3 4 ACENEW (mako)
2 3 HTIFYO (mako again)
2 4 RRENSF (yot yot5)
1 5 LIFEWI (StinkerSquad01)
1 3 MIDNIG (Qloof234)
Last edited by MyNameIsKooky on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 13 times in total.
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 am

Yep, they are random! I found this out while snooping in the files.

Daniel
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:55 am

Did you, by chance, take a look at the credits? :wink:

(and no, don't shake me for more information - my knowledge is supposed to be limited!)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:30 am

OMGOMGOMG KOOKYS MESSAGE SAYS 23 OON AND I HAZ PROOF
Attachments
DigPicture91919191.bmp
DigPicture91919191.bmp (539.05 KiB) Viewed 21418 times
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Every LETTER pair was reversed... are you sure this applies to numbers?? :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Yo... beta testers... enough with the hinting. (it's pointless anyways right now, ain't it?)

;)
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Every LETTER pair was reversed... are you sure this applies to numbers?? :wink:
errrr
32 OON AND?
mako
Gold Wonderlander

Post by mako » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 pm

I don't thing the letter pair thing is for the gibberish. Maybe there is some secret message.

The code I got was:

Code: Select all

23 THFIOY
or 23 HTIFYO
I don't have luggage. The airline forgot it.
I don't have a hotel. I forgot to get one.
I don't have a clue. I've never had one.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 pm

SO MANY WINKS IN THIS TOPIC! ;)
mako wrote:The code I got was:

Code: Select all

23 THFIOY
or 23 HTIFYO
Uh...

You posted this in the WA3 Full Spoilers topic:
mako wrote:I now have all coins and stars and the purple star says "34 CANEWE"
Are you just making stuff up???
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 pm

At any rate, I can confirm that 34 CANEWE is a valid output for Purply's message.

That's all I have to say on the matter. :wink:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 pm

mako probably played through more than once.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
mako
Gold Wonderlander

Post by mako » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 am

First time I cheated through, Second time... Let's just say the new coffee brewer is GREAT!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:33 am

How did you cheat through, though? You need to collect every single coin in the game, and cheating a level after picking up the coins doesn't give you any.
mako
Gold Wonderlander

Post by mako » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:35 am

Two Words. Cheat Engine.
I know this was REALLY stupid, thats why I replayed the game.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 am

mako wrote:Two Words. Cheat Engine.
I know this was REALLY stupid, thats why I replayed the game.
One particular Q CE'd to see the end as well... ;)
Midnight Synergy wrote:Yo... beta testers... enough with the hinting. (it's pointless anyways right now, ain't it?)

;)
:wink:
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:58 am

This has probably got a record for most wink smileys used in one topic. :wink:
I've nearly got all of the coins, so I'll post my answer soon. :wink:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Salad is yummy! Don't you guys agree?
Last edited by MyNameIsKooky on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I finally did it! My purple star said 2 4 RRNEFS.

Or, with the code, RRENSF. It doesn't look like part of a message, either way.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:39 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:So many of the beta testers were cheaters from the sound of things. I guess that explains why so many levels in WA3 had blatant loopholes.
Actually, no, aside from the secret (because doing it the "legit" way in such a limited timeframe was borderline impossible) there was no real cheating involved. Some of us did skip "Escape Plan" at first, but we returned to it later and solved it.

There were a lot more loopholes in the original beta designs. Some levels, such as "Closing Doors" or the original "Z-Bot Vault" were heavily broken in their first designs. On some levels, entire sections were completely useless until MS changed them.

There were also shortcuts that were reported but never fixed due to lack of time. For example, we never found an easy way to fix the whole "flash the turtle" thing on "Flashus Interruptus", you can still skip the entire level in "Flash Arrangement" by being REALLY fast, etc... A few shortcuts were left in intentionally for clever and crafty players to find, but only a few.

I have to say, though, I took a look at your videos and immediately went all "this is the person we needed on our beta team". I'm especially full of respect when it comes to your "Star Crossing" solution. Yours is more complex, but also much more elegant. My solution, while similar in "broad strokes", feels finicky and inadequate by comparison. Also, your solution to "Suspicious Silence" made me LOL. See, I told MS that removing one Flo would make it a much more interesting puzzle... *insert comical grumbling here*
tyteen4a03 wrote:One particular Q CE'd to see the end as well...
He did? I wasn't aware of that. He did temporarily skip "Escape Plan", but that was by using wallblinking, no need for CE.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Muzozavr wrote:I have to say, though, I took a look at your videos and immediately went all "this is the person we needed on our beta team".
He didn't actually want to be in the beta team. You can check on the old topic.

But yes, I think the game could have done with a bit more beta testing. Not necessarily different testers, just a bit more time. "Z-Bot Vault" still has many, many alternate solutions, and I managed to complete the final adventure with a grow charger left completely untouched (unless it was only there for misdirection).

I think POTZ was a fantastic game, but the first two games just felt a lot more polished. If I ever solved an adventure in MOFI, the sense of achievement was overwhelming! The adventures in that game were hard (probably too hard), but this made solving them hugely satisfying! In POTZ, however, I commonly found myself wondering "Is this the correct solution? Wow, I didn't think that would work! Oh, can I get the star already? What was that chomper for?"

That was slightly exaggerated, of course, but you get the picture! I loved POTZ's scenery and soundtrack, but I think WA and MOFI had much better gameplay, overall.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:26 pm

WA has at least as much alternate solutions as POTZ, if not more despite featuring way less levels. If anything, WA is much, much more "broken" than POTZ. Then again, we had more time to figure out the WA ones.
WARNING! LOTS OF TEXT AND SOME WA SPOILERS! wrote:The "big" transporter puzzle in "Water Works" is solvable in two blinks. "The Purple Shard" can be finished in 15 seconds by blinking past the gates. "Pop and Blink" allows you to skip the left blink puzzle. "Double Lock" can be massively simplified with some clever transporter trickery. The horrible timing puzzle in "Picking Colours" is easily skipped because only one log needs to be raised, you can blink to the star. If you don't care about the coins, you can simply brr the way to the star in "Chomper Pinball". It is possible to destroy the bottom yellow transporter with the rainbow log in "The Chase Is On", trivializing the level immediately. Using a very hard combination of "shoot magic while sliding" and "turn on brr-pads" allows you to completely MURDER the intended route on "Round and Round". Turning on brr-pads also allows you to skip almost everything on "Thwart the Thwarts", even though it's hard to do. "Shoot magic while sliding" allows you to recharge brr on "Mountain Rescue", reducing the entire puzzle to a few extra save-load experiences. Oh, and just for fun, try pressing the combination in "The Blue Shard" as fast as possible. It's possible to go so fast that you, in fact, break the damn lock. There are other tricks possible, this is just off the top of my head.
MOFI was extremely polished and "bulletproof" in comparison, but the Pirate Camp (which is where I'm at) is probably too crazy and mental.

It's just that POTZ arrived way after MOFI. WA is "the first", so we don't remember how much loopholes there really were. They stand out more in POTZ due to our "changed by MOFI" perception.
yot yot5 wrote:He didn't actually want to be in the beta team. You can check on the old topic.
I know. I only said that our beta team would become way better if he was in it.
yot yot5 wrote:"Z-Bot Vault" still has many, many alternate solutions, and I managed to complete the final adventure with a grow charger left completely untouched (unless it was only there for misdirection).
"Escape Plan" was one of the last adventures we were testing, there wasn't much time and everyone was stuck. I eventually figured out a solution but I was too burned out to really test this further.

As for "Z-Bot Vault", all the alternate solutions we could find were fun to use. The "intended" solutions is very laborious, it's fun to figure out but it's not fun to do again on repeated playthroughs. This is why some of the loopholes were left in.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:34 pm

I HAVE DISCOVERED SOMETHING
After leaving Wonderland Academy after finishing the game, you can now reach a fountain to the south-east. Talk to the stinker next to the fountain, and a strange conversation takes place.

STINKER: You know, it is strange.
YOU: What is strange?
STINKER: A beautiful blue flower grew here once. But now it is gone.
YOU: Oh?
STINKER: As am I.
YOU: What do you mean?
(stinker vanishes)
STINKER: .........
YOU: Wait... What happened?
YOU: What strange trickery is this?

---------------------

At first, this might not seem very interesting. But do you remember the weird dialogue with Loopy the star? I remember talking to Loopy and him saying something like "HI! I'm Loopy, and I don't know anything about secrets, flowers, or star gates, or anything else"

FLOWERS. FLOWERS. FLOWERS.
Last edited by yot yot5 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:43 pm

yot yot5 wrote:I HAVE DISCOVERED SOMETHING
After leaving Wonderland Academy after finishing the game, you can now reach a fountain to the south-east. Talk to the stinker next to the fountain, and a strange conversation takes place.

STINKER: You know, it is strange.
YOU: What is strange?
STINKER: A beautiful blue flower grew here once. But now it is gone.
YOU: Oh?
STINKER: Am as I.
YOU: What do you mean?
(stinker vanishes)
YOU: Wait... What happened?
YOU: What strange trickery is this?

---------------------

At first, this might not seem very interesting. But do you remember the weird dialogue with Loopy the star? I remember talking to Loopy and him saying something like "I'm Loopy, and I do not know anything about secrets or flowers"

FLOWERS. FLOWERS. FLOWERS.
That area is unlocked immediately after you enter the Wonderland Academy.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:That area is unlocked immediately after you enter the Wonderland Academy.
Oh, right. :oops:

BUT IT'S STILL MYSTERIOUS
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:13 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:One particular Q CE'd to see the end as well... ;)

I-In my defence, I only did that because I was missing 3 coins and couldn't find a trace of them anywhere! I thought I'd missed some on Planet Z-Bot at some point. I kinda figured I should check the secret area to see if everything worked there as well.

Even then, I did actually find them on closer examination.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:56 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:So many of the beta testers were cheaters from the sound of things. I guess that explains why so many levels in WA3 had blatant loopholes.
Please explain the "blatant loopholes".

Also, is the strong wording necessary? You are directly insulting MS, the other testers and our 3 months of hard work. I will admit I cheated through some of the harder adventures in Beta 1 and only finished 40% of Beta 2 due to lack of time (there were 2 beta versions), however all the other testers are very hard-working in solving all adventures, especially Q and Muzo.
Last edited by tyteen4a03 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Muzozavr wrote:WA has at least as much alternate solutions as POTZ, if not more despite featuring way less levels. If anything, WA is much, much more "broken" than POTZ. Then again, we had more time to figure out the WA ones.
Come to think of it, I haven't played the original WA in several years, so maybe the loopholes weren't so obvious to me back then. I think I prefer MOFI to POTZ, but I can't really make comparisons to WA until I play it again.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:36 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:
Please explain the "blatant loopholes".

Also, is the strong wording necessary? You are directly insulting MS, the other testers and our 3 months of hard work. I will admit I cheated through some of the harder adventures in Beta 1 and only finished 40% of Beta 2 due to lack of time (there were 2 beta versions), however all the other testers are very hard-working in solving all adventures, especially Q and Muzo.
Yeah, I'm going to have to ditto this. I've already told Tyteen I wasn't exactly pleased when I found out he mentioned my Cheat-Engine'ing, but I'm more offended by your comments than anything else.

If you'd seen what Beta 1 was like, and compared it to the Final, you'd see just how much more polished things have gotten.

Let me state this for the record: The only cheating I did was using CE to accommodate for 3 missing coins, which I tracked down later, and using the wall-blinking trick to bypass Escape!/Escape Plan before the solution was discovered.

Other than that, as I'm sure other testers can verify for you, I was very in-depth with making sure things were working properly. I resent your implications, thanks.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 pm

inb4 flamewar-- wait im late

what the hell me i haven't even played WA3 yet
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Oh man! Salad is still delicious!
Last edited by MyNameIsKooky on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.