General Anime/Manga Thread

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Hmm, having watched that... Definitely sounds intriguing, going to have to check that out at some point. 8)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Make sure to watch it with the original Japanese audio, though: the English dub is well done, but the super-impactful scene at the end of episode 2 lacks one *very* important reverb effect that further emphasizes the feeling of isolation. Yes, this is enough of a reason for me to recommend the sub over the dub, that reverb needs to be there and the scene deserves to be seen in the best way possible. It's truly an epic moment.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:52 pm

I usually watch subs anyways, personal preference. I don't have anything against dubs so long as they're done properly (for that matter I'm probably going to watch the English dub of AoT when it's out anyways).
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Bumping this back up. Latest Attack on Titan chapter came out (56).

As is the norm, the only word I can think of to describe it is "What."
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:54 am

So, I've seen the first episode of Kill La Kill and I'm mightily impressed. "Lunacy" doesn't even begin to cover it, but, then again, no words do. It's as if all experimental animators of Gainax are now in Trigger, having fun and being awesome. I gasped the first time I saw the "camera" pulling back across an entire city at once. I hope the action choreography and all the other good stuff stays as frenetic and lunatic throughout because the first episode was EPIC.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Muzozavr wrote:It's as if all experimental animators of Gainax are now in Trigger, having fun and being awesome.
Well yeah, because that's actually what happened here. :P
Muzozavr wrote:I gasped the first time I saw the "camera" pulling back across an entire city at once. I hope the action choreography and all the other good stuff stays as frenetic and lunatic throughout because the first episode was EPIC.
The show only gets crazier as the story progresses!
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm

I don't watch anime very much. Mostly just the overrated Dragon Ball Z and the underrated Kirby: Right Back at Ya! (and yes, that is officially anime. You can look it up if you wish). One of these days I'm going to start watching One Piece (my best friend won't shut up about it), but until then, I'll remain boring. :P

EDIT 2/22/15: I have watched well over 100 episodes of One Piece, have finished Code Geass twice (fantastic anime) and am currently in the middle of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Death Note. I also started Familiar with zero, but it didn't appeal to me, so I stopped about fifteen episodes in.

After FMA:B I plan on watching Soul Eater. I have heavily considered Naruto but, in the end, decided that one long-running anime was more than enough for me. Thank goodness for Hulu!

In other news, I fully support the idea for a Wonderland Anime. Under the guidance of a master, the world would transfer well, with interesting characters, a plot that overreaches many smaller ones, and, of course, magic gloves. Who wouldn't want to see it?

Under the hand of one of the forum members, however...eh, I'd still watch it.
Last edited by LittleZbot on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:58 pm

That Kirby one is okay, I've seen it before. I've heard lots of mixed opinions on One Piece, but I've found in the past that animes that long tend to get lame, but go ahead if you want.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:20 pm

From what I've heard, it is an incredible masterpiece that has later seasons that do not do it justice. Once again, however, that is from my best friend, who is a huge fan. So yeah.

Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 am

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:55 am

I want this image to be my legacy.

(Context: I saw a quote about AoT on Tumblr that I thought was worth sharing over the Skype chat. A... "discussion", if you can call it that, about AoT started, and somehow it got linked to Wonderland, and... Well, that picture.)
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 am

"OI WIOLL KEEL DA TOITOANS" ~stinky
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:58 am

^^I Myself have never watched AoT but I would like to see that adventure actually :lol:
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:58 am

This needs to be a full-fledged adventure series.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 am

^Yes Qloof,Make it, MAKE ATTACK ON STINKER NOW....

Or not, your choice dude. :mrgreen:
My Level List
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 am

Well, hmm... Something to think about once HR is done, at any rate. :P :lol:
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 am

*Happies* :) :) :)
My Level List
peegman
Rainbow Wizard

Post by peegman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am

Qloof234 wrote:Image

I want this image to be my legacy.

(Context: I saw a quote about AoT on Tumblr that I thought was worth sharing over the Skype chat. A... "discussion", if you can call it that, about AoT started, and somehow it got linked to Wonderland, and... Well, that picture.)
I think I just laughed too hard
yee
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:25 am

The real reason I read Attack on Titan.

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:18 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:The real reason I read Attack on Titan.

"Is that a joke, too? 'Cause it sure ain't funny."

Having said that, reading the manga now, I'm starting to realize just how... dense the series is when it comes to plot twists.

Personally, I also think that - with the exception of the last episode - the anime adaptation is a lot better than the manga. It still has its pacing problems, but it doesn't feel as irrationally fast as the manga does.

(makes me kinda scared for whatever possible twists could be coming up next, all things considered)
myuacc1studios
Rainbow Wizard

Post by myuacc1studios » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:13 am

Some of the anime (and non-anime :P ) that i've seen are:
Code Lyoko
Pokémon
Kirby: Right Back At Ya!
Bomberman B-Daman Bakugaiden (both IV and V)
Urusei Yatsura
Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt
and Speed Racer.
Last edited by myuacc1studios on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:20 pm

Man, I'm hearing about so many great animes here! I'm going to have to start watching some.

On a side note, I finally watched the first few episodes of One Piece. It's actually a pretty good show. Somehow it has managed to develop the characters and make me care about them without truly devolving them at all. It gives me incentive to keep watching, which I plan to. Sure, it may not be exactly accurate (Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. was more accurate in the portrayal of the Marines this) but it's fun.
Last edited by LittleZbot on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:21 am

There might be a better place for this, but I'm not really sure, so it'll go here for now.

As I mentioned in passing earlier in the thread, there's a pretty nicely done fan-made Attack on Titan game floating around on the internets. The current version of it, which is here, is... Well, really unfinished. The game's under active development as-is, but as is my understanding, people were heckling the guy behind this to get the next update out, which resulted in the half-finished update being rushed out the door.

The version before that - which is here - is a lot more "complete" - it's got single-player mode as well as the maps that haven't yet been implemented into the newest release. The major downfall is that public server hosting isn't in working order, though.

The game itself is pretty much what you'd expect if you're familiar with AoT - You fly around using grappling hooks and gas (the 3D Maneuver Gear), trying to kill Titans without getting eaten or squashed. The learning curve is pretty steep, so if you're interested, I'd recommend starting on single-player on old_level2. Be prepared to die - a lot. :P I'd recommend looking up some videos on YouTube to help get you started, but my personal recommendations - Set the camera mode to TPS (third-person shoulder), and play as Jean at first. Either way, it's worth experimenting with both different characters and the different camera types.

Anyways, the deal is, some of the other guys on the Skype chat and I have been playing it, using a Tunngle network (Don't worry, while it does have a premium-account thing, you don't need to pay to use it, you just need to register an account). I figured, why not post about it to see if anyone else is interested in joining?

Once you've got an account and have Tunngle installed, you can join the network - click Community, then Networks, then Private Networks. Under the "Join an existing Network" label, set the Network Type to Premium (You'll still be able to join on a free account, don't worry), and for the Network Name, type AttackOnStinker (I'm not 100% sure if network names are case-sensitive, so I'd err on the side of caution and assume that they are). In the AoT game itself, whoever's hosting sets up a game by just selecting Create Game under the Multiplayer menu. Keep the game settings to Private, I'm not sure if Public will mess with anything.

For anyone who's connecting to the game - Right-click the host user's name in Tunngle, and select Copy IP to Clipboard. Paste it into Notepad or something (you can't copy it directly into the AoT game), then in-game select Join Private Server and put the address from Tunngle into the first box.

All of the connection details for the game itself are liable to change when the next update is released, so I'll update this post as required.

One last warning, though: I would strongly recommend watching the full first season before playing, as the game does have sizable spoilers in it!

If you're curious as to what it looks like, here are two videos of me playing (Camera mode is Original and I'm playing as Armin on Hard): (1) (2)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:22 am

Bumping this back up. After putting it off for a while, I started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica a few days ago.

Yeah yeah, magical girls, but... This show is really something else. If you're going to look into it, watch the first 3 episodes, at least - After episode 3, it starts to show its true colours.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue May 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Bumping this back up. After putting it off for a while, I started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica a few days ago.

Yeah yeah, magical girls, but... This show is really something else. If you're going to look into it, watch the first 3 episodes, at least - After episode 3, it starts to show its true colours.
Yeah I started watching it about a week ago and I've already watched all of the anime and all 3 movies. It's awesome. :D
The first two movies are just a recap of the anime while the third one is like a sequel to the anime. The movies are in Japanese only, as far as I can tell, but the anime itself does have an English dub (which is the one I watched. I should probably go and watch it again with subs).
I've got some links for you guys in case you're interested:

Click here to watch the anime in English.
Click here to watch the anime in Japanese with english subtitles.

Click here to watch the first movie: Beginnings
Click here to watch the second movie: Eternal
Click here to watch the third movie: Rebellion
To get the movies to play just click on the button on the video that says "remove ad". Also when watching the movies I recommend you mute or hide the little chatroom on the side of the page, otherwise you'll be hearing clicking noises all the time from when people post a new message. :roll:
---

On another note, I've been watching Attack on Titan thanks to Qloof, specifically the English dub that's just starting to air on Toonami/Adult Swim. It looks like it's going to be really good and I'm probably just going to skip waiting for a new episode each week and get right down to watching with subs.
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:14 am

psst
go watch it

and don't lose your way
Violet141
Silver Wonderlander

Post by Violet141 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:12 pm

I just finished Madoka Magica.
Oh gosh, that show is DARK!!!!!!!!! It seriously creeped me out. I think that show was really disturbing for me, as I'm actually a girl around that age. It was pretty scary.
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Violet141 wrote:I just finished Madoka Magica.
Oh gosh, that show is DARK!!!!!!!!! It seriously creeped me out. I think that show was really disturbing for me, as I'm actually a girl around that age. It was pretty scary.
Off-topic, but your "when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and leave the world wondering how you did it" quote (at least I think it's yours) is now one of my favorite phrases ever.
(EDIT: Nevermind, the Internet says this phrase is by someone named Tori Truax. Oh well.)

I remember watching 4 episodes of Madoka and loving/fearing it (episode 4 in particular had some amazing visual direction) but then I was distracted and then I forgot about the show entirely and then stuff happened and then... well, let's just say I never finished watching it. :lol: I think I should and I probably will once my exams are over.
Violet141 wrote:Oh gosh, that show is DARK!!!!!!!!!
So, did you like it?

If you want something happier, watch Howl's Moving Castle, it's by Miyazaki, it's very different from the original book and it's FANTASTIC. As far as series go, I also remember enjoying the first season of Phi Brain quite a lot, though I haven't seen the others. It's silly, yet fun.
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Muzozavr wrote:If you want something happier.
How about Soul Eater? That's the happiest thing I've ever watched...

Also Madoka Magica?
Isn't that about witches?
My Level List
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Madoka is about magical girls who fight witches (not the kind of witches you'd expect though). It starts out relatively light - essentially just seeming like a typical magical girls series that has some more serious themes in it sometimes - but by episode three, it starts to really show what it's about.

It's really good, I'd definitely recommend it. There are also three movies - The first two (Beginnings and Eternal) are just a recap of the anime, while the third - Rebellion - is a proper follow-up.

Rebellion is also a very large mind-screw. :P