WA Trilogy Glitch - Saving in Dialogues

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

WA Trilogy Glitch - Saving in Dialogues

Post by billy bob » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:13 am

Normally when a dialogue box is up you cannot save your game; when you look in the menu the option "Save Game" is specifically removed. But actually, there is a way to save your game while in a dialogue box. While a dialogue box is up, instead select the option "Exit Game" then "Yes, Please" (Esc won't work here you have to select the option), then if it has been a minute since the last time you saved/loaded a save (or started a new game entirely) then another option will come up asking you if you want to save your game before exiting. Select "No, save my game!" and then you will be able to save your game, even though you were in the middle of a dialogue.

If you load the save you made while a dialogue box was up then the dialogue box won't be there anymore. This allows for some interesting breaks in the games.

See the picture below for example. Normally there is an unavoidable dialogue box on the way up to the gates and bridges, and in that dialogue there are commands to close the gates and lower the bridges. But by saving while at the beginning of that dialogue, I skipped the rest of the dialogue and the commands it had in it, allowing me to access the next area without completing the adventures in this area.
Attachments
Control Terminals Skip.jpg
Control Terminals Skip.jpg (148.73 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Last edited by billy bob on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:37 am

Wow! I can't believe I didn't notice this before! I always knew you could use save-games to skip over CMD 7s, but this is much more flexible! I can imagine this being used to skip over huge sections of gameplay, allowing for very short speedruns.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Nice! Good job for discovering this!
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:12 pm

yot yot5 wrote:I always knew you could use save-games to skip over CMD 7s,
What do you mean?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Before WA3, if you paused and saved during the screen fading when a CMD7 is activated (via means other than the player stepping on it, IIRC), when you loaded the save again, you wouldn't get teleported.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:54 pm

billy bob wrote:
What do you mean?
After activating a CMD 7, the screen zooms in to black, then teleports you to the new area. If you save the game quickly while the screen in zooming in, the CMD 7 won't activate when you reload the game.

Then again, it might have been fixed in the POTZ editor, as this glitch has been around for some time. I should check and see if it still works.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:19 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
billy bob wrote:
What do you mean?
If you save the game quickly while the screen in zooming in, the CMD 7 won't activate when you reload the game.
No, the command 7 still activates when you reload the game.

In POTZ you cannot pause while the screen is zooming in.

EDIT: Oh, but not by stepping onto a red arrow. OK, thanks I didn't know of this glitch.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm very busy with university (having to write a 10-minute presentation on a topic about a book I hate is miserable) but I'm just logging in to say this one thing.

Imagine this line said by an anime character, in a skyward scream with massive trailing echo on his voice and lots of dynamic camera angles and trick shots with expressionistic perspective:

HOW DO YOU FIND THESE THINGS!?!?!?!?

As I was imagining the untapped potential, my jaw dropped and stayed that way for a few solid minutes. I had to find it and pick it up from the floor.

Even if there aren't as many tricks possible with this as I think there are, this has to be the most gloriously, deliciously insane glitch discovery we've ever had so far. I haven't been this excited about any Wonderland glitch since the transporter glitch in RTW and Q-Spell in WA.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:53 am

I seem to be finding more uses on POTZ.

So it skips the control terminal adventures, but it also skips Power Core (skip the dialogue just before you meet Z-Bot 001) and almost all of Open the Blast Doors! (skip the dialogue at the beginning of the adventure) and Escape! (skip the first dialogue in the second area of the adventure).