WA Trilogy Glitch - Stealing Items/Coins from Adventures

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

WA Trilogy Glitch - Stealing Items/Coins from Adventures

Post by billy bob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 am

In an adventure, move onto a space next to an item/coin.
Now start moving onto the space where that item/coin is, but before you collect it open the pause menu.
Select "Restart Adventure".
During the fade out screen you will collect the item/coin, then the adventure will restart.
The item/coin that you just collected will be kept in your inventory even though the adventure has just restarted.
If you wish to, you can get the item/coin over and over again by repeating.

From here the adventure can either be completed or aborted, either way the stolen items/coins will be kept (except for any items that were used to complete the adventure).

This glitch also works in adventures that have been accessed via Floinging back in time, as well as adventures accessed via moving onto an adventure star.

This glitch works in all three Wonderland Adventures games.
Last edited by billy bob on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:21 am

Oh lord. I haven't touched WA1 in a while, but unless I'm mistaken, doesn't that basically make the route:

- Orange Shard
- Gloves
- Enter Wondertown
- Get Mushroom Keys
- Get Red Shard x3
- Talk to Morklin
- Activate Warping
- Get Green Shard
- Warp to Wasteland
- Get Pyramid Face Coin from Left x2
- Get Purple Shard

That's going to cut down the time by a lot, wow. :shock:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:40 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

... how do you find these things?! :lol: Congratulations, you just rewrote the any% route completely. It isn't just for the shards. You can steal keys SO HARD with this.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:55 am

I'm not sure where we could steal keys that'd be useful, though. Unless there's some equivalent to this in the hub, we'd still need to get hub keys normally.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:21 am

A quicker key than the one in "The Magic Gloves" (if it exists) could be used for the red gate in the corn fields.

I was thinking more about stealing keys that are quick and easy to get to use them in later adventures and skip big chunks of levels. I'm not sure how useful (or possible) this is, given that you have to restart the whole adventure to do so, but still...

You could even go into an adventure, get a key and leave. :twisted: So if an adventure is reasonably quick to access in the hub and has a key very close to the start AND that key is useful later on... it could work even in adventures that the current route doesn't actually use.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:24 am

It's true that we could get a red key for the corn field gate, but for Any%, we wouldn't need to go there. We could just dupe the red shard (probably? I'd think so, but it's worth checking IMO).

For 100%? Now we're talking. 8)
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:00 pm

As I said in the Adventures done Quick topic, I think this glitch will be simply gold; no need to collect the two blue nor two indigo shards and no need to use any bizarre complicated method to get through the game, as well as skip the painful Pyramid by taking the token on the left side of the area twice. I wish there was an equivalent in the hub world, which means the whole red shard area skipped, only one adventure done in Forever Forest (excluding the four ones inside the building). That will be the game speed running time cut down in half right there! :D
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:27 pm

The glitch works with coins as well as items. :lol:
Muzozavr wrote:A quicker key than the one in "The Magic Gloves" (if it exists) could be used for the red gate in the corn fields.
The only possible reason for going to the corn fields now would be to get the purple key to skip two outside Temple Ruins adventures. Seven Locks and Teleportation are short adventures so I doubt that skip would be worth it now.

EDIT: Not true actually. Purple key is faster.
DOUBLE EDIT: But purple key isn't faster than red key from The Magic Gloves for door inside Temple Ruins that gives access to purple button.
Muzozavr wrote:You could even go into an adventure, get a key and leave. :twisted: So if an adventure is reasonably quick to access in the hub and has a key very close to the start AND that key is useful later on... it could work even in adventures that the current route doesn't actually use.
Yes, there's potential out there for smaller time savers using this sort of thing.
Last edited by billy bob on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Does this work with stars also?
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:47 pm

jdl wrote:Does this work with stars also?
No, the action of completing an adventure cancels out the action of restarting an adventure.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm

billy bob wrote:
No, the action of completing an adventure cancels out the action of restarting an adventure.
But does it work with the free stars in the last MOFI level? :lol:
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
billy bob wrote:
Hate to spoil it for you, but the free stars in the last MOFI level are not part of an adventure. You can't restart or abort after the cutscene. Pretty annoying I suppose. Unfortunately, if you came that far, I'm not sure what they would be useful for anyways. :wink:

Also, the star item in the editor automatically converts into a small star collectable in hubs, meaning they can't be used in an adventure.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:03 pm

garirry wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:
billy bob wrote:
Hate to spoil it for you, but the free stars in the last MOFI level are not part of an adventure. You can't restart or abort after the cutscene. Pretty annoying I suppose. Unfortunately, if you came that far, I'm not sure what they would be useful for anyways. :wink:

Also, the star item in the editor automatically converts into a small star collectable in hubs, meaning they can't be used in an adventure.
I haven't gotten there, anyway, so I didn't know they were after the cutscene. Sad that "free stars" can't exist within an adventure.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 pm

So, now I'm kinda curious. What happens if you do this glitch while in a Floing-replayed adventure? Do you keep the item or do you lose it after finishing/exiting the level?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 pm

You will probably lose items, but not coins.

I have tried to steal a key (the normal way, not with this bug) from "Frozen Doors" in Floing and it didn't work, so I don't expect this glitch to work differently. However, coins do get added to your inventory even in Floing, so you should be able to get as many coins as you want.

I'm kind of curious, though, does the game allow you to buy xyzzy if you have enough coins? :shock: :lol: Probably not, but will it just say "you don't have enough coins" even if you do, or is there an actual check which may lead to a crash if there's no dialogue for that option.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 pm

There isn't a coin check when you attempt to buy the xyzzy. Plus, I'm somewhat sure that the variable which holds the number of coins doesn't reach 3 mill. Its max is probably 65536 or something.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Muzozavr wrote:You will probably lose items, but not coins.

I have tried to steal a key (the normal way, not with this bug) from "Frozen Doors" in Floing and it didn't work, so I don't expect this glitch to work differently. However, coins do get added to your inventory even in Floing, so you should be able to get as many coins as you want.
I actually found that it works with both coins and items. When you restart the adventure the item won't immediately be in the inventory, but when you complete or abort the adventure then the item that you stole will be given back to you. 8)
garirry wrote:Its max is probably 65536 or something.
So what happens, when you exceed this number? :wink:

Only one way to be sure. :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:44 pm

WAIT WHAAAAAAAAAT!?!??!?!

You can steal items in Floing mode and have it count?!

That's...

... huge.

:shock:
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 pm

billy bob wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:You will probably lose items, but not coins.

I actually found that it works with both coins and items. When you restart the adventure the item won't immediately be in the inventory, but when you complete or abort the adventure then the item that you stole will be given back to you. 8)
That's really cool! I don't think there is any use for it (at least for now) though.
billy bob wrote:
garirry wrote:Its max is probably 65536 or something.
So what happens, when you exceed this number? :wink:

Only one way to be sure. :lol:
Well, we can always try but that would take forever.
Generally, when a variable's max is reached, it will usually just stay at 0. Maybe it loops though, I'm not sure.