Ways to Die or Get Stuck in WA Trilogy Hub

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

What was that? The bug, not the game. And Jutomi and I posted at the same time. EDIT: my 250th post!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 pm

About Pool of Radiance: uninstalling the original unpatched version would wipe out most of your Windows system files, rendering the computer unbootable. It's that bad.

I just found out that similar things did happen with other games, as well. The original version of Myth II (before Bungie physically replaced all copies in all stores) uninstalled the game simply by deleting its folder. so if you accidentally installed the game in the root folder of your hard drive, then tried to UNinstall it, kiss the entire contents of your hard drive goodbye. Luckily only the marketing person got hit before they replaced everything.

So not only do the most terrible bugs ever happen, they have occured in more than one game.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Yikes! :shock:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Wonderland King wrote:Yikes! :shock:
No kidding. When I found this curious little piece of information, I was shocked.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:46 pm

EDIT: double post.
Last edited by Muzozavr on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 am

That Barren bug is odd... I'm certain I left that adventure until after finding the Flow and didn't get that result. :?
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:13 am

When you say "left that adventure", do you mean that you didn't win the level or that you didn't talk to the Jeeboo in front of it?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:15 am

The latter. I could've sworn I put off talking to him until the return trip, and that it worked fine.

Might've been during the beta period or I could just be mis-remembering things, though.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:41 am

The beta version probably used a different mechanism of some sort. But the question is, why was it changed? It's certainly odd.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Nice find! *adds to list*

It's not too bad... You're far more likely to want to talk to the Jeeboo above before proceeding below. Evidence of this is that no one has actually had this problem yet.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:18 am

Actually, I did have the problem by accident. It was because of this. But anyway, do MAVing and other such program errors count as ways to fail? If so, I have a method you might be interested in... :) (And something I need help with - a method that, if it works, requires fast fingers.)

EDIT: 23,000th post in this subforum!
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 am

Wonderland King wrote:do MAVing and other such program errors count as ways to fail? If so, I have a method you might be interested in... :) (And something I need help with - a method that, if it works, requires fast fingers.)
I think if you've crashed the game then you certainly have failed. :lol:

You've gotten me interested. What's the method? 8)
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 am

Krishiv738 discovered that if you freeze a shadow stinker with Brr, it MAVs. Do this in "Gem Challenge".

Also, I have a... suspicion about a possible method. Just so everyone knows, for clarification here, when you Flash an object, you send it to 1,1 and then Re-Flashing it moves it where you want. So if 1,1 isn't a floor tile or if 1,2 and 2,1 aren't walls, the object could be destroyed or escape. Then you get an "Array Index Out Of Bounds" error when you try to Re-Flash.

Two glitches to note:

1) You can blink into suction tube corners without being bounced out of them.
2) While bouncing, you can shoot spellballs.

So in the level "Open The Blast Doors!", I think you can crash the game with this method: First, leave the beginning area, making sure that the chomper follows you as much as he can, so he'll be a few spots directly above the suction tube. Then ride through the suction tube that takes you to the Floing charger. Go down through the rainbow teleporter so you can charge your gloves with Blink. Making it to the leftmost suction tube with Blink is east with glitch 1 I mentioned above. I think that if you use glitch 2 to make it to the top of the suction tube (which I've tried, but never successfully) and to the area with flash magic, you can Flash the chomper and then Re-Flash it, crashing the game. I'm positive that 1,1 isn't floor logic. So could someone confirm that it's possible? :D
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:09 am

Yes, that Flash-tile bug is an issue. The original version of Flash Frozen suffered from this quite badly.

As for Open The Blast Doors - that's something the player would have to instigate themselves, so I don't think that's something that needs fixing (assuming it's possible). As for Shadow Stinkers, my guess as to why the game crashes is that it's looking for a sound file that doesn't exist.

As for the Jeeboo thing, I think I'm just remembering incorrectly. I don't think the mechanism would've been changed, so...
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:11 am

Now that sounds amazing! :D

I wonder what would happen if the moving object you flashed returned to 1,1; and made it perhaps go in an alternate direction...?
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 am

Qloof234 wrote:As for Open The Blast Doors - that's something the player would have to instigate themselves, so I don't think that's something that needs fixing.
I completely agree. Most of the methods would require some sort of manipulation (racing past a Stinker, doing things in a weird order that's obviously not intended, etc.) but they're valid methods. This is another one. :lol:
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:54 pm

I just confirmed that the "Open The Blast Doors!" thing is possible. The trick is that when you're bouncing, you can Blink on water tiles. :wink:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 am

Wow, I'm really enjoying your work Wonderland King. Yes, I've just tried both crashing methods myself! Very impressive.

Thinking about it, maybe this doesn't fit into this list because it isn't actually in the hub. If it were crashing the game in the hub then that would fit into this list. I would recommend making another list on how to crash the game anywhere in the WA trilogy. I can maintain this list myself but maybe someone else could do a better job as I am occupied with my chess career at the moment.

I'm hoping to, at some point, split this list on failing in the hub into dying in the hub and being unable to complete the game from this point on in the hub. EDIT: Done!
Last edited by billy bob on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:24 am

That reminds me of how to crash any (solvable) level in any of the "Classic Trilogy" games:

Solve the level, then pause the game by bringing up the menu, then keep doing very, VERY quick double-presses of the "ESC" button until eventually the menu appears outside of the level, on the level selection screen.

After that, the game crashes no matter what you do, even if you try to just close the menu, it will still crash. This needs some seriously tricky timing and there's pretty much no way to trigger it by accident.
Krishiv738
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Krishiv738 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Does this work or not(not tried but has happened when playing another game):

1.open too many big games.
2.minimize them all.
3.run any of the WA series' games.
4.the game runs slow or can crash because of too many games running
I am getting outta here, nothing is new, everything is boring.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Krishiv738 wrote:Does this work or not(not tried but has happened when playing another game):

1.open too many big games.
2.minimize them all.
3.run any of the WA series' games.
4.the game runs slow or can crash because of too many games running
Any other game will crash if there are too many things that require a large amount of RAM running in the background.
So I think this isn't the engine's fault at all.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:40 pm

billy bob wrote:Wow, I'm really enjoying your work Wonderland King.
Thanks! :D And I completely understand if you don't want to add the crashing methods to the list. I'd start a new list for it myself, but there are only two known methods so far - I think I should wait a bit. :wink:

Anyway, I'd ask Hubble for a couple rainbow keys, but he deactivates after you defeat the Z-Bots. :(
Attachments
HubFailure2.jpg
HubFailure2.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 9259 times
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:50 pm

.... shame on us testers.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Don't beat yourself up over it. :wink: I don't think anyone's had this problem yet, and it wouldn't take very long for Patrick to fix in an update. He'd just need to remove the rainbow key in The Creepy Keep, and in return, make Hubble give you three rainbow keys.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 pm

I know, I just hate "unwinnable" situations that can happen by accident (even if the likelihood is low) on principle.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:39 am

The specific angle required for Q-Spell: Let's say there's a wall on the space directly above you. Move the mouse at least three spaces above the wall, and then one space to the left or right. The spellball can only shoot through that one wall, so if there are other walls surrounding the player in that direction, or any further along it's path, they'll get in it's way. (It works if you rotate this example too, this is just to make things clearer.)

(Now we know why he'll always be Stinky, right? :lol:)
Attachments
HubFailing3.jpg
HubFailing3.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 9143 times
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:42 am

However, if the wall above (or below, whatever) you doesn't have a wall next to it, then the angle range of Q-Spell becomes even greater. I think most people used this trick without even realising that it was unintended.
I don't think this is a legit way of getting stuck though.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 pm

samuelthx wrote:I don't think this is a legit way of getting stuck though.
True, but my guess is that if Q-Spell didn't exist, you could fail by taking both transporters to the bottom, then using the rainbow shards to teleport. You'd never be able to go back down again. But because of Q-Spell, you can wall-blink back down and the method isn't valid. So while not a "legit" way, my other method is a valid one. :wink:

On another note, do you fail if you collect the blue shard before the red one? I was testing another potential method when I came across this. Wysp never appeared in the Foggy Mountains, but I might be missing something else. :?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:58 am

If you mean in WA1, no. I tried that re-playing the game, and Wysp appears after you get the red shard in the cave it's in with the same message.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:14 am

He appears in the mushroom cave? What version of WA do you have? Maybe I don't have the latest one. :?