A Wonderland Adventure challenge completed

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

garirry
Rainbow Star

A Wonderland Adventure challenge completed

Post by garirry » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 am

I apologize if this doesn't deserve its own topic. Up to mods to move/lock/delete this topic if that's the case.

Anyway, about two weeks ago, I set myself up on a challenge; to finally complete all three WA games at 100% without cheats of course. This means getting 105/128/152 stars for each game, get all gems and coins for each game, and unlocking the secret in WA and POTZ. And I am very proud of my success. So, after playing those games, I noticed that most of the game was not that hard really. I still had to use walkthrough occasionally, but overall, I finished the games independently. I thought it was some sort of miracle that I became capable of solving puzzles (still not a champion though), but I realized something; maybe the problem with me being unable to solve puzzles is that I simply give up way too easily. So, everytime my mind started dissolving, I forced myself to not look into walkthroughs unless I'm desperate. Here is a review of how it went in each game:

WA: Was actually quite easy (but in a good way). I only used the guide on one or two adventures, and how to get certain secret stars or secret items (such as tokens). Overall, pleasing experience.

MOFI: Was very difficult. Too much, actually. This one, I managed to go through the Temple without walkthroughs, but when I reached it, I occasionally needed to check the walkthrough. When I reached the Acid Pools, I failed at doing any level without W/T, but Sundog Island was actually decent and I managed to do about half of the adventures without help. The rainbow adventures were also unsolvable for me without help.

POTZ: Great experience, not too difficult and very manageable. I used a w/t for about 5 levels in total, and obviously the secret flower challenge, and the horrible hub coin hunt. Somehow still managed to finish Qwertyx without help. Other than that, was a great experience.

So, there you go. I'm very proud of it, considering I feared that I will be unable to ever 100% those games due to my bad puzzle skills. I learned that I'm not that bad at puzzles, and that gave me inspiration and ideas for custom levels. That was fun, and I'll have to say thank you to MS who made these awesome games. 8)

Edited by tyteen: First rule of *REDATED*.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:32 pm

GREAT JOB!

:shock: I don't think I would be able to do this!

Congratulations!
You posed dramatically.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:55 pm

You did MOFI? :shock: Congratulations. I got to Sundog Island without checking the walkthroughs but I was doing the bare minimum of each area most of the time and I haven't even gotten to At The End of It All. I keep coming back occasionally, but for the most part, the remaining levels are very tough to figure out... or execute... or both. Great job on 100%ing MOFI!

I did WA and POTZ, too, but I was a beta tester on POTZ and was obsessively "racing" with Qloof234, trying to keep up with his mad speed, so... yeah, that kind of helped. :lol: I was still the first tester to figure out "Star Crossing", though, that was an epic "MOFI difficulty" puzzle.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Congrats! I knew you could do it! :D
Turns out you are quite good at solving puzzles. And yes, the pirate camp was horrible! Still, the fact that you looked at so few walkthroughs for Sundog says something about your puzzling skills. And I'm sure you'll agree that At The End Of It All was easier than Escape!
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks for the comments! :D As it turns out, I remember that I did indeed use a walkthrough for one of the levels in Qwertyx (I think it was Scritter Slide or something).
samuelthx wrote:And I'm sure you'll agree that At The End Of It All was easier than Escape!
Yes, At The End of It All is a pretty easy adventure IMO, actually easier than any other adventure on Sundog Island. Escape isn't too bad, but I had to use help because it was too stressing for me with the constant reviving of the Zap-Bots.
Muzozavr wrote:I was still the first tester to figure out "Star Crossing", though, that was an epic "MOFI difficulty" puzzle.
That level was tough and disgusting in terms of difficulty. I used a walkthrough on this one, actually. :)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:02 pm

During testing, there were a few complaints that "Star Crossing" is impossible to figure out logically and is essentially a trial-and-error level, but I did figure out the main "trick" logically and after that... it wasn't smooth sailing, but it was doable. In the end I insisted for the level to be kept because it's optional and because Uo is supposed to be Uo and not play nice.

Too bad we all missed a bunch of ridiculously easy solutions for "Suspicious Silence". Oh well.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:14 pm

In hindsight, I think the issue with Star Crossing was that in beta 1, the Spy-Eye was disabled on Uo - meaning you either had to wait an extremely long time on Star Crossing, or just guess as to when it was safe. It made an already difficult level very near impossible to figure out without trial-and-error.

With the Spy-Eye enabled, in hindsight, I don't hate Star Crossing like I used to. It's not one of my favourite levels, but it's a good one. :P
Sofoulini
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Sofoulini » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:06 pm

What? :shock:
Did you complete all three WA games at 100%?
Oh my... :o
That's amazing Garirry and congrats for completing this challenge.
:D :D :D

Well,in my situation,the only game that I completed at 100% was WA.
And that's because this game was very easy and I didn't have any problem with the most levels. 8)

Now for MOFI,well,it was a really big challenge and it wasn't easy to complete it(especially the last level of this game which is called At the End of it All)...Oh my...That was a really hard one. :roll:
But one thing that I loved from this game was the soundtrack and its storyline.

And for POTZ...Oh my...Another amazing game full of action and it was easier than MOFI.Oh my...Exploring all these new planets and beating these challenges one by one...well,it was truly amazing! :D

Anyway,for once again my congrats Garirry for completing this challenge and maybe one day,I will come back and complete at 100% the MOFI and POTZ.
Until then,I will continue to create more levels and adventures and practice my skills!!! 8)
My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/InMrMenShow

>My list with my custom levels/adventures<
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351783#351783
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Uo

Post by Jutomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:26 pm

I actually do quite like Star Crossing.

In fact, it helped inspire me to something:

The items that used to be the absolutely most puzzle-inducing for me
ended up becoming some of my favorite items!

They're not usually too life threatening, and they're kind of fun to play around with,
plus they induce lots of logic. :)

I believe Star Crossing also inspired my first adventure in WA. :P

So, yeah, albeit lots of players' less pefered, I quite enjoyed it. :D
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:38 pm

Thanks for the comments! :D

Also, Qloof, what do you mean by "the Spy-Eye was deactivated in Uo"? Does that mean that you couldn't use the Spy-Eye in the first beta? :shock:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Yep. If I recall, trying to use it gave a message along the lines of "Strange... The Spy-Eye's magic isn't working here!"

It was frustrating, to say the least. :P

On that note, a bit late, but congrats on the challenge. I've still yet to work up the patience to get through MoFI without skipping some levels.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Perspective

Post by Jutomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:49 pm

I suppose that the whole spy-eye thing
would have made that one adventure with
the two blink charges a little bit harder...
I mean, it was curiously easy for that area,
in my opinion. :o
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:18 am

Kinda, weird. The Spy-Eye isn't supposed to be magical, it's just a lense inside a tube. Unless there is too much hot air that sweat is caused and makes everything inside invisible. :lol:
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:19 am

No, I think the Spy-Eye is magical. It does have bird's eye view, after all. :wink: