The Ultimate WA Editor Hex-Editing Topic! Take A Look!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:14 pm

Yes, but once we open it up in notepad we will say "Oops." :lol:

When Qloof opened up a wop file in Notepad he said "Oops."

When I opened up your MOPI area where the VolcanoCanyon texture does not work in Notepad I said "Oops."

Proof:
Skype wrote:[21:21:44] Dlcs18 says: now I am going deep into the workings of the adventure HA HA HA HA
[21:21:50] Qtheman says: lol
[21:21:57] Dlcs18 says: *Looks at a bunch of gibberish*
[21:21:58] Dlcs18 says: Oops.
[21:22:00] Dlcs18 says: lol
[21:22:06] Qtheman says: lol
[21:22:27] Dlcs18 says: DANG IT doesn't tell me what it's looking for
[21:22:29] Qtheman says: That's the first thing I said while trying to load up .wop files in Notepad. "Oops."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
EDIT: 12 PAGES! :P
Last edited by dlcs18 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlcs18
CatHat5678
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by CatHat5678 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:19 pm

could someone get me the texture for a z bot?
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because if the road crossed the chicken the old lady's would trip over the bump!
(no offence to anyone who thinks of themselves as "old")
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:22 pm

CatHat5678 wrote:could someone get me the texture for a z bot?
It's the file "acpu.wdf" located in Mysteries of Fire Island>Data>Models>Retro>acpu.wdf

:D
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
CatHat5678
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by CatHat5678 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:58 pm

jdl wrote:It's the file "acpu.wdf" located in Mysteries of Fire Island>Data>Models>Retro>acpu.wdf

:D
thanks and now i give you the z scritter!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because if the road crossed the chicken the old lady's would trip over the bump!
(no offence to anyone who thinks of themselves as "old")
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 am

Wait... I have an idea..

Keep in touch.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 am

Cbloofy! PLEASE! Post The model adjuster A.S.A.P :!: :!: :!:

Hmm, Maybe we havfe to wait until cbloofy awakes from his sleep!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:19 am

hay guyz wat doo u thynk of mai nu lowding scryyn *hit*

Just kidding. If I typed like that, I'm sure I'd've been banned long ago. :wink:

rite guyz? *hit again*
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:50 am

Qloof234 wrote:hay guyz wat doo u thynk of mai nu lowding scryyn *hit*
My loading screen is the normal one, but with colours inverted. :lol:

...I'd've...
Does that even exist?! :? :lol:
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
richmond2010
Rainbow Seeker

Post by richmond2010 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:42 am

Well, cbloopy's model tweaking possibilities...

ARE AWESOME! maybe I could use the idea of having to put torches in my Mall of Fate 2 adventure!
richmond2010
Rainbow Seeker

Post by richmond2010 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:01 am

sorry for dp but...

I tried. Couldn't. I right clicked on the torch and put it in my level... only floating fires. What did you do?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 am

richmond2010 wrote:sorry for dp but...

I tried. Couldn't. I right clicked on the torch and put it in my level... only floating fires. What did you do?
That is actually a combo of two objects, a fence post and a fire trap. There's actually no model tweaking involved with that one!

To make the fire trap "floating", I tweak its ZAdjust to something like 1.0 to raise it up from ground level. Then to make the "grill" part of the fire trap invisible (so that it's just floating fire and nothing else), I use the "transparent.bmp" custom texture. It's just a 1x1 black pixel, but since black is transparent to the game, this is a simple way to make the model of an object invisible. The fire will still be visible because it's a visual effect from the game's handling of a fire trap, not part of the model.

Then to make the fence post show up in the same location as the fire, I put it close to the fire, then tweak the fence post's XAdjust/YAdjust to shift its displayed location to where the fire is.

Finally, to prevent you from moving onto the tile with the fire (which is still a fire trap and therefore lethal), I set the tile's logic to "wall" so you can't actually walk into the fire.

The end result: the fence post forms the "wood" part of the torch, and the fire trap forms the flame. The tile's "wall" logic makes that tile location act like a solid object rather than a fire trap.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:08 am

What about the star?
richmond2010
Rainbow Seeker

Post by richmond2010 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 am

Oh. Thanks!
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:11 am

cbloofy? Are you there?
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Um. Cbloopy... You know how you enter a Custom Level Texture wrong it says "File Not Found!"? To prevent mistakes in the Editor, can you make the Model Texture Tweaker like this? Also, if the Level Texture is not showing up in the Player, it goes back to the basic WA tiles. Can you also make it go back to it's origional Texture too? :D

BTW, how DID you do that star thingy? :?: :?: :shock: :? 8)
ImageImage
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

mqdar wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:hay guyz wat doo u thynk of mai nu lowding scryyn *hit*
My loading screen is the normal one, but with colours inverted. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mqdar wrote:
...I'd've...
Does that even exist?! :? :lol:
... Probably not :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:20 pm

jdl wrote:Um. Cbloopy... You know how you enter a Custom Level Texture wrong it says "File Not Found!"? To prevent mistakes in the Editor, can you make the Model Texture Tweaker like this? Also, if the Level Texture is not showing up in the Player, it goes back to the basic WA tiles. Can you also make it go back to it's origional Texture too? :D
Unfortunately I can't change how the tweaker works, or how the game handles missing object textures, that's programming. It'd be like asking me to add new magic from MOFI into the editor.

You have people testing your adventures, that should be enough to catch these kinds of problems. :wink:
BTW, how DID you do that star thingy? :?: :?: :shock: :? 8)
I figured out how to tweak a general command button so that it will show its model (which in this case I tweaked to the star) when it is active. The hole is just a walkthrough object (things like houses) tweak to the glove charger model (a flat square) and custom textured to a star hole, then I used XAdjust/YAdjust to shift it to display on the same location as the button.

The star that you can pick up is a custom item object tweaked to use the star model. The custom item's Fn is tweaked to "ID On Local" with the Fn ID set to the GC button.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Ok.

But how are you tweaking the models?
ImageImage
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Clifford wrote:Cbloofy! PLEASE! Post The model adjuster A.S.A.P :!: :!: :!:
I know I know. :wink: But please be patient.

The problem is that there's no actual model adjuster in the editor right now (at least I didn't find any). There is an adjuster in the editor to change the object's logic, but for that to be effective, I have to add to the WOP just about all the adjusters available for all objects, so that you can start from a particular model, and then tweak its other settings to make it behave like any object. I have to do this (adding dozens of adjusters to the WOP files) by hand for every object currently available in the editor and that's going to take time. I'll also need to write up an explanation, because once you tweak the object's logic, the editor gets confused and won't, for example, recognize "Data0" to mean specific things like "Color" for specific objects, so I'll need to detail those information as well.

Eventually, it'd be better if I write a program to let you guys create/tweak WOP files directly, kinda like what I'm doing right now with a hex editor but much easier. Of course, writing a program will take more time still so I think that should wait until after the WOPs.

Right now I've been using the hex editor to create the particular WOPs I needed for my test adventure.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 pm

cbloopy wrote:
Clifford wrote:Cbloofy! PLEASE! Post The model adjuster A.S.A.P :!: :!: :!:
I know I know. :wink: But please be patient.

The problem is that there's no actual model adjuster in the editor right now (at least I didn't find any). There is an adjuster in the editor to change the object's logic, but for that to be effective, I have to add to the WOP just about all the adjusters available for all objects, so that you can start from a particular model, and then tweak its other settings to make it behave like any object. I have to do this (adding dozens of adjusters to the WOP files) by hand for every object currently available in the editor and that's going to take time. I'll also need to write up an explanation, because once you tweak the object's logic, the editor gets confused and won't, for example, recognize "Data0" to mean specific things like "Color" for specific objects, so I'll need to detail those information as well.

Eventually, it'd be better if I write a program to let you guys create/tweak WOP files directly, kinda like what I'm doing right now with a hex editor but much easier. Of course, writing a program will take more time still so I think that should wait until after the WOPs.

Right now I've been using the hex editor to create the particular WOPs I needed for my test adventure.
Now your scaring me! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o
ImageImage
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Yes... That does sound very complicated. :shock:
dlcs18
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:29 pm

:shock: Really! cbloofy! You can write software! :shock:

Umm...
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm thinking it might be a bit better if cbloofy tells us how to do it in the hex-editor. :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:34 pm

dlcs18 wrote:Yes... That does sound very complicated. :shock:
Yes, it's the price of being able to do cool things, you know. :wink:

At least be thankful that the editor already has the texturename adjuster right now (not included in the WOP files that came with the editor, but the feature is there in the editor, which is why I was able to update the WOP files to include the texturename adjuster). If that weren't the case, even changing the texturename would've required hex editing. :shock: It's a shame that the editor doesn't have a modelname adjuster.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 pm

So then how did you make the star?
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Cbloopy, there is a "ModelAdjuster" in the Editor! Well, it's in the WOP files. There has to be something in the WOP files to make the model image show up in the Editor's Window! We just need to find out what part of the file it's in, then, you can make the ModelAdjuster! It shouldn't be too hard. I think it just loads a directory too! :D
ImageImage
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 pm

jdl wrote:Cbloopy, there is a "ModelAdjuster" in the Editor! Well, it's in the WOP files.
There's a difference between the WOP file having a place to store the model information, and having an adjuster in the editor that lets you change that data in the editor. Remember you asking me how to change the music of the level to something beyond 1-6.ogg? I can do it with a hex editor, but I can't coax the editor to change its behavior on music selection.

If you open up a WOP file, you'll see at the end of the file all the adjusters that are exposed to the editor for the object represented by the WOP file. This is how the editor knows to show the "Dialog" adjuster for an NPC but not for, say, a rock.

There's a place in editor.exe where all the names of object adjusters are grouped together. "TextureName" is in that group, as are familiar ones like "ID" or "Active". But there's nothing there that has the word "Model" in it. I've tried a couple of obvious possibilities in the WOP file, like "ModelName" for example, but none did anything in the editor. So I don't think there's an adjuster like TextureName that can be used to directly change the object's model in the editor. Not unless you hack in new programming in editor.exe, which is beyond even me.
We just need to find out what part of the file it's in, then, you can make the ModelAdjuster!
Keep in mind I never really "made" the TextureName adjuster. It's always there in the editor, just not being used by the "official" WOP files. Like how the missileflower capability is always there but not exposed.
I think it just loads a directory too! :D
I've already tried putting in (via hex editing) actual file names in that part of the WOP file but it worked terribly. (I was trying to substitute the Thwart's model with the Ice Troll model from MOFI.) The editor just flat out MAV on anything there other than keywords (they all start with "!") referring to existing models in the game. And the game may or may not load the model when you specify it by file. Even if it loads the model, the one time that worked (it was a rock), it has strange effects on the level (it changed the lighting to total darkness even though the level is not set that way).
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 pm

I haven't tried to make sense of anything Cbloopy is saying, but one thing you need to know is that all this complicated stuff isn't really that complicated once you sort it all out in your mind. :wink: Isn't it Cbloopy?

All this stuff is still pretty amazing. :shock:
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:14 pm

To say the truth, I think having Hubs and Hub Adventures is better then having Custom Models. (They still would be nice.) Just think of the endless posibilities you can do if you had Hubs!!! Making Hubs is quite possible, Cbloopy said he could get the Adventure Star into the Editor, and make you go into a Adventure. But he said the only problem is your aborting and winning location. The location is in the Adventures Master.dat file. If only we knew how to edit them. :cry: The defalt aborting and winning location is Level 0 and the cordinates are 0,0. So darn close!
ImageImage
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:14 am

I'm willing to bet that that might be the closest we can get without help from Patrick - The controls for the Master part of the Editor are likely inaccesable without heavily affecting something else.