ITT: Qloof asks for help with the Editor

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

ITT: Qloof asks for help with the Editor

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:39 pm

I'm not sure if there's a solution to this bug, though I'm hoping there is.

I'm working on an adventure, trying to populate one area with NPCs. I've tried giving two of them glasses, but... It's not working.

If I try giving an NPC either the thin-framed red glasses or the thick-framed sunglasses, the game spits out a "Couldn't load texture: accessoryxxa.jpg" error (xx being numbers). I'm certain there are more accessories that do this than just these two, though.

The textures are definitely there, and I can make a player character with either of those glasses. Even then, it still just doesn't load.

I know this is something that's been hanging around for a while, but I'm still wondering - Does anyone know a way to fix this, short of manually adding the .jpg files?

(for the record I'm using the MoFI Editor hack thing)

EDIT: Topic changed 'cause I thought I'd found something else I needed help with and turned out to be DISASTROUSLY WRONG. Herp.
Last edited by Qloof234 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:25 am

You need to specify a color.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:31 am

What do you mean? Like, while I don't have any accessory selected, or what?
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:37 am

I can't help you if you're using the MOFI-editor. I haven't ever used it.

However, I strongly recommend you don't use the MOFI-editor. Hardly anyone will play your adventures. People are lazy when it comes to downloading new editors. :(
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:49 pm

i thought you had to play the adventure in mofi, not download an editor
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:47 pm

StinkerSquad01 wrote:i thought you had to play the adventure in mofi, not download an editor
I was guessing, back then. I hardly know anything about MOFI adventures except they're never played.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Ah, okay.

@Q: As for your problem, I think it has something to do with the color value of the glasses. Make sure it says "Red" and not a number or something.
Then again, it might be a thing from the MOFI editor. I've never used it, so I don't know.
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:51 pm

Yes. If the color value of the glasses are 0, that error happens.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:09 pm

Master Wonder Mage wrote:Yes. If the color value of the glasses are 0, that error happens.
Okay, sorry, I'm confused. This is what the Stinker NPC info box thingy looks like:

I still get an error with this. The Colour value was at 2 before I selected glasses.

I'm suspecting that the Colour 0/1/2 value is part of what's going on here, trying it now with 1 instead.

EDIT: That was it, yes! Thanks for your help! :D
yot yot5 wrote:I strongly recommend you don't use the MOFI-editor. Hardly anyone will play your adventures. People are lazy when it comes to downloading new editors. :(
I'm aware of that - Truthfully I'm using the MoFI Editor because I'm actually working on a Hub project.

I don't intend to make a topic about it until I know it's something I've got properly underway, all things considered.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:05 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I'm aware of that - Truthfully I'm using the MoFI Editor because I'm actually working on a Hub project.
:o

Good luck!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:I'm aware of that - Truthfully I'm using the MoFI Editor because I'm actually working on a Hub project.
:o

Good luck!
Thank you! :D

Hopefully I'll have enough done by the end of the year or so that I'll feel confident in talking about it. If not, then... We'll see. :P
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:29 pm

WHAT HAPPENED TO QUANTUM TUNNEL, DUDE, I WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT THING. :lol:

Anyway, good luck on whatever it is that you're making. 8) :D
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:42 pm

I genuinely haven't forgotten about it, I swear! :lol:

Honestly, I just kind of lost interest in Wonderland as a whole for a while, and I'd also hit a creative block beforehand when it comes to adventures.

I do plan on getting back to QT at some point and finishing it somehow (I'm not sure about the Hub version though, I didn't have much luck with that).

Right now part of it is just getting back to working on it after leaving it as-is for so long, to be honest.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Bumping this back up, because I've run into another... interesting problem, with the Editor/Player itself, that also affects MoFI.

Anyone who's played the early WA1 beta that Patrick released probably remembers the item "crystal" that it had instead of the gold square/block thing, right?

Well, I'm using those in some fashion for my current project. They don't work entirely properly (likely 'cause it was cut early on), and anything using the crystal model other than the gloves, glow-gem, lamp, etc. shows the first image in the icons file.

I've come to terms with that, I'm going to use the item crystal and the gold square interchangeably in my project. Thing is, uhh...

The first three items here are using the item square, and... That happens. They show up as "Item0000". It also quite elegantly says "Us4e" if I hover over the icon.

I'm thinking this is something to do with either the item's FN and FN ID or the ID number of the item itself, but I have no idea what causes it or how to avoid it.

The two icons at the right side are using the crystal model, unless I have their function set to Gloves/Lamp/etc. they always show the first icon in the file.

So, anyways, since I assume those sentences above are too much of a trainwreck to understand, my question is this:

Does anyone know where this Item0000 thing comes from/why it's there/what it's about? More importantly, how can I go about avoiding this?

EDIT: i can't count
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:00 pm

I encountered the Item0000 problem when I was making TMP. I think it can be fxed by hex editing the item wop.
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:18 am

(two days late oops)

aRE YOU KIDDING ME IT'S IN THE .WOP FILE ITSELF

I AM SO DONE WITH MYSELF OMG

... All joking aside, just, wow, I fail. :lol: On the plus side, I can still do stuff like this, even with the Item0000 thing. :P
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:52 am

This is easily fixable, but why is it even like that in the first place?
I'll be happy to fix it for you, just send me the .wop file and I'll send it back.

By the way, nice world you've got there! Is that for an adventure or a hub?
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:36 am

Why it was like that; I honestly haven't the slightest idea. I might've just been messing around with the file ages ago and realized I could do that, I dunno. I know how to fix it, so I've managed to overcome that interesting obstacle, at least. :lol:

As for the video, that's for my hub project, yes. The magic spinning flower isn't staying (at least not here :P ), I was just messing about with items.
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:21 am

Qloof234 wrote:Why it was like that; I honestly haven't the slightest idea. I might've just been messing around with the file ages ago and realized I could do that, I dunno. I know how to fix it, so I've managed to overcome that interesting obstacle, at least. :lol:
Okay, so does that mean you have fixed the "Item0000" and "Us4e" problem?
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Indeed I have.

It also explains why it was still Item0000 across all versions of the game I tried it on, since it's the Item info itself that determines what it says in the inventory.

I still feel like a huge moron right now though. :P
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:35 am

Bumping this back up to the top one last time - I've figured out why thin-framed red glasses crash the Player.

The error that the player gives is "Couldn't load accessory102c.jpg". On its own, that doesn't seem like much - Here's the thing, though:

The corresponding .wdf file, for thin/red-glasses - is "bddfttpsz102c". Take away the obfuscation, and what do you get? "accessory102b".

A typo causes the player to look for a file that doesn't actually exist.

Easy way to fix this? Go to Data/Models/Stinkers and rename "bddfttpsz102c" to "bddfttpsz102d". One letter change, that's all it needs.

One possible upside is that this could potentially be used for adding another colour for the thin-framed glasses, but that's not something I'm going to get into. :P
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 am

Qloof234 wrote:Bumping this back up to the top one last time - I've figured out why thin-framed red glasses crash the Player.
Do they? I've used them before.
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 am

yot yot5 wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Bumping this back up to the top one last time - I've figured out why thin-framed red glasses crash the Player.
Do they? I've used them before.
I'm not sure, don't think I've used them before.
Qloof234 wrote:One possible upside is that this could potentially be used for adding another colour for the thin-framed glasses, but that's not something I'm going to get into. :P
I highly doubt you are able to do that. Each texture is already coded into the game for it to find and load.
Otherwise if a texture did not exist, you should get an error message at the start.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 pm

md wrote:Otherwise if a texture did not exist, you should get an error message at the start.
But the texture that the game looks for for thin/red glasses on NPCs doesn't exist by default.

It's not just me, either - I went to look at a completely clean install of the WA Editor, the texture for red/thin glasses is under the "102b" name as opposed to 102c.

(There's also the "102@" thing popping up in the original WA Editor, I'm not sure about that one)
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
md wrote:Otherwise if a texture did not exist, you should get an error message at the start.
But the texture that the game looks for for thin/red glasses on NPCs doesn't exist by default.

It's not just me, either - I went to look at a completely clean install of the WA Editor, the texture for red/thin glasses is under the "102b" name as opposed to 102c.

(There's also the "102@" thing popping up in the original WA Editor, I'm not sure about that one)
That's strange. I have both 102b and 102c; 'b' being the black and 'c' being the red.
Not sure if I fixed it myself, but I don't remember doing so.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Well, it's obfuscated - Those are the filenames I've got by default as well, but the game searches for "102c".

With the .wdf file-naming structure, that would be a file ending with "102d.wdf", which doesn't exist.

I'm not sure how the "102@" error fits into this, though. It's related, I'm just not sure how or why yet.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 pm

DP/Bump.

Title was changed because this is probably going to be my "help pls i have problems" thread from now on.

Here's a weird one that I'm still not entirely sure on.

This is from an earlier iteration of an adventure in my current project. However, even after I revamped the whole NPC command structure in this level, this bug persists.

Specifically, when the NPC walks into a spring, instead of reverting to standing once she hits the wall (or an obstacle, I've tried that too), she just... Floats there, still playing the "spring" animation.

I've tried using an NPC Change button to make her change back to standing, but it didn't do anything. I played around with the NPC Turn/YawAdjust a bit to see if maybe that was the culprit, but...

Well, actually, messing around with Turn/Yaw gave some results - Sometimes she'd properly revert to "standing", but what confuses me even more is that this is pretty arbitrary - Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it works immediately and sometimes it takes a minute or two.

I really have no idea why this is happening. It's not like this is a major, game-breaking issue, but it's bizarre. Does anyone know what's going on here, or how to fix it?

EDIT: Okay, I went and copied this editor over to the original WA Editor (original player and such), and it's still happening, so I think I screwed up somewhere.

Does anyone know what this is about? It's not a bug with MoFI or whatever, I actually went and copied over the second adventure from WA1 to test and it works perfectly fine. :?
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 am

Is the NPC suppose to move or just stand there until such time?
It should automatically change back into standing (or whatever) after the spring.

Anyway, just make the NPC move to the spring normally with no expressions.
Can you perhaps post a screenshot of the editor with this level so we can see where the command are placed and such?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 am

It works more or less the same way as Stinker Rescue Part 2 in WA1 - That is to say, the NPC walks into the spring, hits the wall, and stays there until the player springs over. The difference is that the NPC moves once the player talks to her, instead of as soon as the player lands.

It happens with another spring shortly afterwards, which, again works like Stinker Rescue Part 2. The NPC follows the player into a set of springs, and lands beside the player (unless they move, in which case she lands on the tile where the player was).

I've looked at Stinker Rescue Part 2 as well, and there aren't any commands on the tile where the NPC lands, so I really have no idea what's up here.

Picture attached for the first spring (the CMDs are blue circles, and most of them are me messing about with NPC Change to try and get this to work, with or without those it's still the same result). The second spring doesn't even have any commands around it, other than the prerequisite NPC Move (which is done via an invisible button, a chomper, and a gate, because reasons)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 am

Bumping this back up, due to a DISCOVERY.
md wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:One possible upside is that this could potentially be used for adding another colour for the thin-framed glasses, but that's not something I'm going to get into. :P
I highly doubt you are able to do that. Each texture is already coded into the game for it to find and load.
Otherwise if a texture did not exist, you should get an error message at the start.
I've actually looked into this - It's quite possible to add new colours for hats/glasses and such! As far as I can tell, the values you can set the colour to in the Editor is hard-coded, but when it comes to what the player character wears...

There appear to be no such limits, other than potentially the filename encryption process.

(Obviously a still picture doesn't say much, but I'm rendering a video now)

This does apply to hats as well, I've checked. Meaning, while we may not be able to do such for NPCs, it's quite possible to add more options for hat/accessory colours. 8)

(going to do a bit of a look into eye/shoe colour as well, but i expect that'll actually be hardcoded)