MY FUTURE

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

MY FUTURE

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Over the past 3 months or so, the Custom Adventures forum has been extremely quiet. You've probably heard about how Emerald141 and MyNameIsKooky are waiting for the release of POTZ, and other adventure designers such as TheThaumaturge and Wonderman109 are on long hiatuses, so I thought I would take a few moments to explain what I'm planning on doing in the near future.

I'll go straight to the point: after the release of POTZ, I plan on dumping my old storyline and (most likely) starting my adventure list anew.

There are two reasons for this. The most obvious reason is the release of POTZ, which is likely to render many old player WOPS useless (such as crimson magic). The other, less obvious reason is that I simply don't like my storyline any more. I was planning on releasing an adventure to summarize the rest of my storyline, but I found it impossible. It became far too complicated, riddled with loopholes, and would've probably ended extremely unsatisfyingly because of this.

I'm not saying all my adventures will be forgotten. I might put in the extra effort to POTZ-ify my large adventures such as Maze or Amnesia, and I might also convert The Goutweed Trilogy for nostalgic reasons. My Arm might even make an appearance in my future adventures!

So... yeah. I just thought I'd get that out of my system. :)
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Re: MY FUTURE

Post by Nobody » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56 pm

yot yot5 wrote:You've probably heard about how Emerald141 [...] [is] waiting for the release of POTZ
He is? IIRC, he was working very slowly and infrequently last time he talked about WAE.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: MY FUTURE

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Nobody wrote:He is? IIRC, he was working very slowly and infrequently last time he talked about WAE.
Meh, I dunno.
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Hey Yotyot, do you think making a BIGBIG project with the current editor NOW would be a bad idea? Or should I wait till POTZ?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm

We don't even know when PoTZ is coming out (other than hopefully sometime soon), let alone if the Editor's going to be released alongside it.

It might be a good idea, if you're working on a big project, to start on it now and port it over to the new Editor later. Just my own two cents.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:10 pm

dig 222 wrote:Hey Yotyot, do you think making a BIGBIG project with the current editor NOW would be a bad idea? Or should I wait till POTZ?
I guess you can start work on it now, but try not to use too many player-made WOPS. They might not be compatible with the new editor.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:26 pm

The .wop files themselves might not be, but I doubt there's really much Patrick can do about the inherent "features" we've been taking advantage of. Texturename, for instance - That's something that's built into the engine, all we've done is point it to something external that the game doesn't recognize. Model-swapping is just getting the game to load a different model for something (albeit with disastrous results sometimes :lol: ).

Considering the nature of all that, fixing it would probably require a pretty major overhaul to the engine's internal workings. Based on what Patrick's said, I don't think that's going to happen here.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Qloof234 wrote:It might be a good idea, if you're working on a big project, to start on it now and port it over to the new Editor later. Just my own two cents.
My own two cents are much different currency I think. I decided to wait with all my WA-related projects and research until the new Editor comes out. It's up to you to decide.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I've asked Patrick via PM about the Editor already. I held off posting it because I don't know if he wants me to or not, but this was his response (Patrick - If you don't want me posting about this, then by all means, edit it out/delete it):
Midnight Synergy wrote:Hey,

it's basically the same editor as always, just with the new features. A total rework would have been nice, but I should have done that years ago. At this point, I plan to add slightly better hub controls, so that - when released- players can create their own little "adventure packs", i.e. a hub and multiple adventures.
Meaning old adventures will still be compatible. If it's basically the same editor, there's no reason the community .wop files will be incompatible either (they weren't "hacked" in that new things were added, it was that things already present in the game were found that we managed to make work for us)
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:...hub controls, so that - when released- players can create their own little "adventure packs", i.e. a hub and multiple adventures.

hohohohohohohoooooooooo
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Meaning old adventures will still be compatible. If it's basically the same editor, there's no reason the community .wop files will be incompatible either (they weren't "hacked" in that new things were added, it was that things already present in the game were found that we managed to make work for us)
:o

Well that's useful, I guess... But I'll probably still restart my storyline.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Our "own little 'adventure packs'"?

HOW PATRONIZING. I'M GOING TO MAKE A BIG ADVENTURE THINGY, NOT A LITTLE ADVENTURE PACK. :evil:

So there.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:11 am

When POTZ is released, we are going to see a huge wall of adventures (if you know what I mean). :wink:

So, does this mean that you are going to remake some of your old adventures (like Amnesia) for POTZ compatibility?

By the way, I stopped working on my hub, not only because I got bored of it a bit, but I also wanted to wait for POTZ.
Although, I still make small custom adventures for the WA Editor now and them.
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:39 am

md wrote:So, does this mean that you are going to remake some of your old adventures (like Amnesia) for POTZ compatibility?
Yeah.

EDIT: I passed 1800 posts without noticing. How embarrassing.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Dumb mistake on my part - Just got another message from Patrick (I was asking about the PoTZ Editor and what's happening with it):
Midnight Synergy wrote:[...] The editor is functionally the same as for WAPOTZ. A few minor things may have changed both in settings and levelformat, and I will assume that old levels will not work on the POTZ editor. Likely I will need to write some sort of "converter" from WA1 editor files to WA3 editor files. [...]
So apparently I was wrong? Oops, sorry guys. Even so, from the sounds of it, I think we'll still be able to load older levels in one way or another.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Hey all...

the point is, I'm not sure what will and won't work of the old stuff - especially when it comes to your custom hacks. Most stuff is probably going to work with a minor conversion, but some custom hacks ... who knows!

And Nobody: hope you didn't take that personally! I'd be more than happy to see HUGE adventures in there as well! :)