New Adventure - Broken Symmetry

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

New Adventure - Broken Symmetry

Post by Lucky-Luc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:59 pm

So, yeah, I promised to stick around this time, and I had this puzzle idea recently, so here's another adventure from me. Not LucWA07 (reading the news about the POTZ editor, I think I'll wait for that to be released before finishing that one, but even then I can't promise anything), but hopefully interessting enough.

This one should probably be a little easier than my last one, but (unless I missed anything) still not quite trivial.

Hope you enjoy! :D

EDIT: Oh, and because of my track record, I should mention: No glitches, no hidden stuff. This time you also need little knowledge about the engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Small spoiler wrote:Hmm... I think I've got the first bit, but those dragonturtles at the end are driving me insane! No hints just yet, though.
Thanks for another great puzzle!
Last edited by yot yot5 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:34 pm

I had a short crack at this. You've done it again! :D
I can't figure out the last part, but I have a feeling there's a way to use the Spikeyball to press the red button. That way you can use the scritter in the last puzzle.
If I had a scritter in the last puzzle, it would be much easier for me to solve it, but I can't quite figure out how if there is a way.
Last edited by md on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28 pm

You might want to put your thoughts in spoiler tags, though; they're pretty enlightening in my opinion. ;) No hints on the "how" just yet, unless you really need one. I'd like to wait a bit longer to see if you can figure it out yourself.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:28 am

md wrote:I had a short crack at this. You've done it again! :D

I can't figure out the last part, but I have a feeling there's a way to use the Spikeyball to press the red button. That way you can use the scritter in the last puzzle.
If I had a scritter in the last puzzle, it would be much easier for me to solve it, but I can't quite figure out how if there is a way.
Spoiler! wrote:I've found a way to get the spikeyball to press the red button, but I can't figure out how to use the scritter in the final puzzle.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:23 pm

It's been a while since I fired up the Player for any adventures... Oh man, this one is diabolical. :shock: :P

At this point I'm in the "stuck near end" party, but this is definitely interesting! :D
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! :D (I'm just gonna interpret "diabolical" as something good ;) ) And congratulations on solving it, Emerald! Looks like you've made it first.

And to the rest of you: I think you're all pretty close. Here's a tiny little hint for you:
The red button is not the only misdirection before the final section.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:33 pm

ARGH, this thing is dangerously addictive!
Small spoiler! wrote:I've figured out how to save a fireflower OR a scritter, but I can't save both. I just can't see how I can use either of them to solve the final puzzle.
Last edited by yot yot5 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 pm

A bit spoilerish:
Yup, it's not enough to save either. Both are needed for the grand finale. There is indeed a way to save a fireflower without sacrificing the scritter.
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:12 am

I've figured out how to save both a FireFlower and a Scritter for the final puzzle.
I don't quite see how a FireFlower is going to assist in the final puzzle though.
I've sort of got the idea of what you are meant to do for that final puzzle, but I just can't quite figure out how.

@yot yot5: Your "spoiler" is not covered; the text colour is not white. By the way, if you want a hint...
It's not that hard to save both, you just got to know your angles.
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 am

Ahhhhh, I see what you're supposed to do now! This is genius, seriously. 8)

Having said that I'm too tired at the moment to actually do it, but that's clever.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks a lot! :D Just checking, does anyone want any more hints? Here's a slightly bigger one:
A one-step bridge is "activated" as soon as something imposes pressure on it. It sinks as soon as this pressure disappears. That doesn't necessarily mean that whatever was on top of the one-step bridge must leave this tile again; it just has to stop being there.
Hope that wasn't too cryptic ;)
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:27 pm

I still can't get this. I'm having problems with the last part. I just don't see what you are meant to do.
I'm basing this theory off the hints provided in the adventure (by the man) and here...
If you're meant to remove all the bridges to get the turtles across, then that's easy. I didn't even realise that, however I can't see how that fits into solving the puzzle.

I tried doing that, but I can't get across, nor that I ever thought that I would.

Before I thought of this, I was probably thinking way too complex.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Erm.. Not quite sure what to say about your spoiler :?
So you say you removed all the one-step bridges and released the turtles, but you can't reach the second key? Then there must be something wrong, because that's actually the intended solution and I can't quite see where you could be doing something wrong then...
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Lucky-Luc wrote:Erm.. Not quite sure what to say about your spoiler :?
So you say you removed all the one-step bridges and released the turtles, but you can't reach the second key? Then there must be something wrong, because that's actually the intended solution and I can't quite see where you could be doing something wrong then...
Oh, so I was correct? If I knew that, I could have finished this ages ago.
What I mean by that is, I was thinking way to complex when the most basic solution was there.
Whoops, how embarrassing, I completely forgot about diagonal movement. :oops:
I was writing my thoughts on what I did, and I figured out that I needed to move diagonally across the turtles.
Sometimes, you just need to say your thoughts out loud.
:wink:
Anyway, thanks for another great puzzle! Quite enjoyable, the only thing bothering was that FireFlower that kept shooting you, but it wasn't too bad.
In terms of graphic and scenery wise, it was a bit bland. Maybe you could have added some environmental effects to the water and such.

Overall, a fantastic puzzle that keeps you coming back until you solve it! Well done! ~ 8/10
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:44 am

md wrote:
Whoops, how embarrassing, I completely forgot about diagonal movement. :oops:
I was writing my thoughts on what I did, and I figured out that I needed to move diagonally across the turtles.
Sometimes, you just need to say your thoughts out loud.
:wink:
:lol: Yup, I know that feeling. Not necessarily with with diagonal movement, but generally being able to solve a devious puzzle and then forgetting about some simple gameplay mechanic. :roll:
Anyway, thanks for another great puzzle! Quite enjoyable, the only thing bothering was that FireFlower that kept shooting you, but it wasn't too bad.
Thanks! :D I agree; I noticed the fireflower was more annoying than intended when I tried to solve the level again. I'm just too impatient with testing sometimes.
In terms of graphic and scenery wise, it was a bit bland. Maybe you could have added some environmental effects to the water and such.
This is a mix between not being talented enough and - to be honest - not really caring so much for the graphics of these pure "puzzle" adventures. I'd like to do something a bit more plot-focused some day when I can come up with something not too cliché and I'll try to focus a bit more on graphics then.
Overall, a fantastic puzzle that keeps you coming back until you solve it! Well done! ~ 8/10
Once again, thanks a lot :D And congratulations on solving it!
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:31 pm

[size=100000]YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D [/size]

ahem. sorry. hm. *COUGH*

So yeah, as you can probably gather, I managed to solve it! It was incredibly difficult, but also great fun! I'd give it 9/10.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks! :D And congratulations on solving it to you, too! I guess after this great feedback I'll have to start thinking about a new puzzle... ;)
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Lucky-Luc wrote:Thanks! :D And congratulations on solving it to you, too! I guess after this great feedback I'll have to start thinking about a new puzzle... ;)
Definitely! Your puzzles are fantastic. Make another super hard one! :P
Lucky-Luc wrote:
This is a mix between not being talented enough and - to be honest - not really caring so much for the graphics of these pure "puzzle" adventures. I'd like to do something a bit more plot-focused some day when I can come up with something not too cliché and I'll try to focus a bit more on graphics then.
I was going to ask: have you ever considered making a hub/large adventure (like a storyline adventure)?
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:33 pm

md wrote:I was going to ask: have you ever considered making a hub/large adventure (like a storyline adventure)?
Yes, I've considered it ;) I actually have two projects in mind, I'm just not sure if I'm ever gonna finish either of them.

The first one is what I've just ominously called LucWA07 so far. This was supposed to be a small pseudo-hub (about 25 puzzles) packed into a large adventure, but as I said, considering the news about the POTZ editor, I think I'm just gonna put this one aside until there's a more simple way to create actual hubs yourself. It's supposed to be focused entirely on scritter manipulation because I still find it amazing how one of the first puzzle elements introduced in WA can still be used to create devious puzzles (as some of your adventures show). I wanted to include a short tutorial section that completely analyses scritter movement and 7 "puzzle floors" (containing 3 puzzles each) with an ascending difficulty level, from "okay, that's easy" to "now that's clearly impossible" as well as a bonus section, quite in the manner of Larry Murk's DROD holds (just in case there are any DROD players around), though of course not quite as high quality. I've already designed a few puzzles for this, but as I'm gonna wait for POTZ anyway, I'd also like to wait for the new puzzle elements introduced (pretty excited about that) as well as being able to use MOFI's elements (which I can say from my own experience are a lot of fun to work with) before going any further.

The second project is a lot less elaborated so far. It's actually just a plot-line I came up with as well as the idea of creating a lot of (for me, at least) unusual puzzles (containing NPC interaction and stuff). My original idea was to split it up into 8 adventures just like a lot of designers like to do, each containing a few puzzles as well as advancing the plot, but again, considering the POTZ editor (man, I bet my expectations for that are way too high.. Then again, MS hasn't let me down so far), I'm thinking about expanding the plotline a bit more and turning it into a bigger project. Also I have to reconsider if my plot makes any sense :roll: .

Anyway, the problem with both of these ideas is that I'm not sure if I'm gonna have the time, stamina and inspiration to finish either of them, especially considering that I'm going back to university in a few weeks and my next semester is probably going to be quite time-consuming. :?

EDIT: Oh, and while we're already talking about DROD, I must admit that this adventure was partly inspired by some rooms in that game. I actually just "wonderized" the idea.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 am

Alright, I've finished this, and I'm impressed. I needed one of your spoilers to figure it out, to be honest, and then I got it quickly. I am out of practice with puzzle-solving. :P

If you intend to make RTW-style adventures here, you are off to a good start.

Otherwise, just remember you have multiple wlvs to use. :wink: