Q's Adventures in Cosplay

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Q's Adventures in Cosplay

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:13 am

(Alternatively a general cosplay thread, assuming there's any interest)

Because I probably shouldn't be hijacking threads for this. Posting over from the Anything Goes thread:
Qloof234 wrote:I figure this belongs in here more than the anime thread, though I suppose it could go in both. I mean, I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting it anyways, but... Whatever. :P

So for whatever reason (likely because I am a completely normal human being who isn't even remotely obsessed with anything and how dare you imply otherwise), I got the idea in my head last night that I want to cosplay someone from Attack on Titan. This has since become my current objective in life, meaning I will not be dissuaded until it's happened.

The immediate question was "Who?", which I answered in all of about three seconds, because one of the characters (Bertolt) looks kinda like I do. Hell, I'm almost as tall as he is, for that matter (there's a whole two inch difference there).

The next question was "For the 3D Movement Gear, do I want the manga design or the anime design?" I'm still not sure of the answer there, because then another question (and probably the most important one by far) dawned on me.

"Wait how in the world am I going to even make the 3DMG prop? I'm not about to spend four hundred dollars on one, so I have to make this myself somehow and I'm terrible at things like this, this was a terrible idea wasn't it"

So that kinda leaves me in an odd spot, wherein this is a thing that I'm going to do no matter what, but at the same time I don't even know if I have the patience to do it in the first place - Thanks to Google I have an idea on how to do it, though. I'm going to go out to a hobby store or something tomorrow, see what I can pick up in the way of materials, stuff like that. Whether it's tomorrow or a few days from now, I figure I'll either temporarily hijack this thread or make my own chronicling my vain attempts at putting together a prop like this, because I have no doubts it will be a hilarious trainwreck of epic proportions. :P
Qloof234 wrote:So after doing some research to get an idea of proportions for the blade sheath on the 3DMG, it has occurred to me that - in seemingly every picture I can find - the blades are actually longer than the sheath itself.

This is... slightly problematic.
So after putting a stencil together for the parts I figured I could do now, I ended up cutting a set of blades out of the foam I got for it.

I promptly realized that the foam I picked is far too brittle to use, because the second blade snapped in half almost immediately.

So here's the hard part: The material I was hoping to pick up apparently is only available in Japan - at least, if it's available in Canada, it's under a different name that I don't know. I can either A) try and find some sort of equivalent that hopefully works, or B) get the stuff imported. I'm leaning towards the latter, but I don't think I'll decide for sure until tomorrow night, when I can see what else there is around here that might work.

I can't believe I've barely started this and it's already going downhill, I wasn't expecting this to happen immediately :P :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon May 05, 2014 11:47 am

I can't believe I've barely started this and it's already going downhill, I wasn't expecting this to happen immediately
BWAHAHAHAHA. All I know about cosplaying is that it's way more problematic than people think. Especially when people are trying to pull off clothes that shouldn't be physically possible. People tell me that duct tape goes a long way.
So after doing some research to get an idea of proportions for the blade sheath on the 3DMG, it has occurred to me that - in seemingly every picture I can find - the blades are actually longer than the sheath itself.
I have no idea how these blades actually look, but if they have a handle, try to make a hollow handle so that a portion of the blade can slide in and out. It'd need some kind of a locking mechanism to prevent the blade from falling out of the handle, but I believe this approach could work.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 pm

To be honest, I don't think I'll have that much trouble with this once I do find an appropriate material. That's the current problem right now, though. :P

As for the blades, yeah. They detach from the handle, but even the length of the blade that fits inside the sheath is longer than the sheath itself. So much for going with the actual proportions, I suppose. :P
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:56 am

aww yiss, the new stuff I picked up is perfect for this. A bit more rigid than I'd like, but it'll work.

I'll need to figure out where to work on this, as the table I was going to work on is a bit too small for this stuff. Still, progress, I guess~
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue May 06, 2014 5:15 am

I am rather quite amazed that you are able to go through with this!

I wish you good fortune. :mrgreen:
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 am

Other than the fact that I'm inexperienced and can't really cut straight lines that well, things seem to be working alright. Not much else to really say at this point...

Also, MNIK, I'm too tall to cosplay Christa (as you suggested in the other thread), but I have a proposal: I'll cosplay Ymir if you cosplay Christa with me.

Deal? :wink:

(I'll leave it up to everyone else to decide if I'm serious or not)
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu May 08, 2014 12:46 pm

But... I'm not pretty enough! :cry:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Well... Okay, but it's not like I am, either. :P
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 pm

I'd consider it if I even knew what this was, let alone had it.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.