MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

NES Super Mario Brothers

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:35 pm

You all know about the good ol' Super Mario Brothers from the NES, right? :D

Well, now you can play an exact (almost) copy on your computer! :D

TO PLAY:

1. Extract both zip files.
2. Go into the Virtua folder and double click the "VirtuaNES.exe" file in there.
3: A window with a black screen will appear. Go to File > Open and open the .nes file found in the Super Mario Bros folder you extracted.
4: The game should start up and you're ready to play! :D

THE CONTROLS:

These are the controls you need to know. They might be hard to get used to, but they will be a cinch after a while. Press Start at the title screen to play. (The title screen is a little different, but other than that, it's a perfect copy.)

Z: Run/Shoot Fireballs
X: Jump
Enter/Return: Start/Pause
S: Save State (Useful for insanely hard things like in IWBTG.)
L: Load State

The VirtuaNES emulator is equipped with hundreds of Game Genie codes that I managed to find on the internet. I haven't tested every single one of them, though. Game Genie codes will alter the gameplay of the game. When you exit the VirtuaNES window and open it again, the codes will be turned off.

To use Game Genie codes, go to Tools > Game Genie and a menu of cheat codes will come up which I sorted into categories so you can easily find a certain type of cheat. I recommend you don't use the Game Genie codes until you get used to using the VirtuaNES emulator first.

Enjoy! :D

NOTE: Once this topic gets a few replies, I'll post some really cool stuff for the NES Super Mario Brothers.

Here is the ROM and the VirtuaNES emulator:

EDIT: The download for the ROM has been deleted. Google "super mary [p1][!].nes rom" (without the "s) and click on the 3rdish result. The ROM is called super mary [p1][!]. It's found by the bottom of the list. Download that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MyNameIsKooky on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:51 pm

I would suggest you take away the ROM file - it's illegal to hand out ROM files of games on the internet.

On-topic; Who needs an emulator when you have a cheap plastic rip-off of the NES? 8)

I actually do have a NES remake called the Retro Entertainment System in a box in my room - runs all NES games perfectly well. Except SMB, it won't run if I put SMB in the console by itself, but if I put Super Mario Bros. on the Game Genie and plug that in, it works. :lol:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I would suggest you take away the ROM file - it's illegal to hand out ROM files of games on the internet.
Will do. Thanks for telling me.
Qloof234 wrote:On-topic; Who needs an emulator when you have a cheap plastic rip-off of the NES? 8)
Well, emulators can use savestates and play hacks. :P
Qloof234 wrote:I actually do have a NES remake called the Retro Entertainment System in a box in my room - runs all NES games perfectly well. Except SMB, it won't run if I put SMB in the console by itself, but if I put Super Mario Bros. on the Game Genie and plug that in, it works. :lol:
:lol:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm playing SMB3 on this right now. :P
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 pm

SPeaking of Emulators (bad pun lol), I've got a pretty good GBA one on this laptop called NO$GBA. It also runs DS ROM files. I was trying to get Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time running but it crashed as soon as I pressed start. :lol:

I also tried it with the new game, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. The game freezes at the save menu... Thank God I have it on DS, because the final boss theme is the most epic song in existence right now. :wink:

As for what this emulator does work with...

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Hey! I have NO$GBA too! :lol:

I tried using it to play NSMB and it ran soooo slowly. :lol:

By the way, I chose SMB as a ROM here because there are many, many glitchy worlds that you can get into by changing one certain byte. :)

By changing this one certain byte, you can come up with something like this:

(If anyone is interested in getting to levels like that, just ask me and I'll post a hack or ips here.)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Try using the PIGPOG Game Genie code :wink:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Sorry, don't have any of those..... :roll:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Try using the PIGPOG Game Genie code :wink:
Yeah, I know about that. The 'random' enemies are generated from the beginning of the ROM which contains constantly changing RAM values, giving a different enemy ID each time. I managed to pick up 90% of the Game Genie codes for SMB from a huge list I found. It took all day to copy every one. There was a lot more codes that I didn't add in because I was too lazy. :lol:

They were only music codes, anyways. :P

Here's another one by changing that one byte:

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:24 pm

DP.
billy bob wrote:Sorry, don't have any of those..... :roll:
Um, I put that Game Genie code in the 'Enemies' folder. :roll:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:26 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:DP.
Huh??? :? I don't know what you mean.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:27 pm

billy bob wrote:
Huh??? :? I don't know what you mean.
Did you even download the emulator I posted?
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:29 pm

No. I already have one so their isn't any point..... :? Is there?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Whoops, I was thinking of something else.

The code I was thinking of is ZIGPSK.

On the NES rip-off thing, it changes level bytes around very randomly, e.g. 1-1 is one of those levels with the lifts, except they're... not there. :lol:

It might not work on an emulator though... When I'm done my homework (I'm sick so working at home lol), I'll get a video of it.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:31 pm

DP
billy bob wrote:No. I already have one so their isn't any point..... :? Is there?
Some emulators support Game Genie, some don't. Some work, some don't. In the case of NES emulators, there are one hell of a lot, and they all work differently.

Same with SNES emulators, no two are alike. If anyone is looking for a good SNES emulator, I highly recommend ZSNES, by the way. :wink:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Qloof234 wrote:The code I was thinking of is ZIGPSK.

On the NES rip-off thing, it changes level bytes around very randomly, e.g. 1-1 is one of those levels with the lifts, except they're... not there. :lol:

It might not work on an emulator though... When I'm done my homework (I'm sick so working at home lol), I'll get a video of it.
I already have that code in my 'Terrain' folder. :wink:

ZIGPSK scrambles a group of four bytes around. In this case, a cluster of bytes that is: 00 03 19 1C. If these bytes are altered, the beginning of each level's attributes is scrambled and you end up in different levels with different enemies. :wink:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:38 pm

On the NES I have (screw it, I'm just gonna call it an NES from now on cuz I can't be bothered to write rip-off everytime), it's pretty extreme.

1-4 is a bridge/fish level (which I do not like :lol: ), and after finishing 1-4 it goes to 1-5. :shock:

This goes on until 1-B (1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-A, etc.), because 1-B is a glitch level where Mario starts above the level, that is to say, I can't do anything. :lol:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Qloof234 wrote:because 1-B is a glitch level where Mario starts above the level, that is to say, I can't do anything. :lol:
I like to call those levels 'Traps' (because you can't move). In each World, there are 256 levels before it loops back to 1-0. Did the level look something like this?:

billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:43 pm

I know its off-topic, but hey, has anyone tried taboo - the sixth sense? :lol: :lol: :lol: All that card shuffling and no one answered my question....
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:because 1-B is a glitch level where Mario starts above the level, that is to say, I can't do anything. :lol:
I like to call those levels 'Traps' (because you can't move). In each World, there are 256 levels before it loops back to 1-0. Did the level look something like this?:

Sort of, but Mario was off on the left edge of the screen up where the HUD display is. The timer didn't load, the game just kinda... froze, but the music was still playing. :lol:
billy bob wrote:I know its off-topic, but hey, has anyone tried taboo - the sixth sense? :lol: :lol: :lol: All that card shuffling and no one answered my question....
Haven't heard of it before, sorry. (I'm very disconnected with the material world lol)
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Sort of, but Mario was off on the left edge of the screen up where the HUD display is. The timer didn't load, the game just kinda... froze, but the music was still playing. :lol:
The game didn't freeze. Mario just spawned inside a block, getting moved up to the top of the screen before proper collision could load. :P

Did it look something like this, except you were stuck at the top of the clouds?:

billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
billy bob wrote:I know its off-topic, but hey, has anyone tried taboo - the sixth sense? :lol: :lol: :lol: All that card shuffling and no one answered my question....
Haven't heard of it before, sorry. (I'm very disconnected with the material world lol)
Can't you just download it off the internet? :? Oh well.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm

OOPS. YOU MUST MEAN THIS ONE, QLOOF:

(This one is a common Trap.)

billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm

OOPS. YOU MUST MEAN THIS ONE:

(This one is a common Trap.)

Its not a double post.

EDIT: Oh you edited it.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:09 pm

@ MyNameIsKooky; It was none of those. It'll be in the video of the results I get once I can be bothered to get up and go record it. :lol:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:12 pm

Qloof234 wrote:@ MyNameIsKooky; It was none of those. It'll be in the video of the results I get once I can be bothered to get up and go record it. :lol:
*dies* That was half of the traps I knew.

Hmm...

This?:

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Okay, just finished recording, and as it turns out, 1-B is not the trap level I was thinking of. Rather, 1-B forces you to go to either 2-1, 3-1, or 4-1 (AFAIK).
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Okay, just finished recording, and as it turns out, 1-B is not the trap level I was thinking of. Rather, 1-B forces you to go to either 2-1, 3-1, or 4-1 (AFAIK).
Oh. I know about over 200 different levels (most of them are glitch levels) but there are some bogus ones from ZIGPSK that I've never seen before.

Anyways, try the code EPZKIX to make infinite Koopas come from the right side of the screen. :twisted:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:11 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:Anyways, try the code EPZKIX to make infinite Koopas come from the right side of the screen. :twisted:
How do you put the code in? I tried going on Tools>Cheat Code and put the code in the input and I also tried some other stuff but it doesn't appear when I press OK. :?
dlcs18
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 pm

dlcs18 wrote:
MyNameIsKooky wrote:Anyways, try the code EPZKIX to make infinite Koopas come from the right side of the screen. :twisted:
How do you put the code in? I tried going on Tools>Cheat Code and put the code in the input and I also tried some other stuff but it doesn't appear when I press OK. :?
You're supposed to go to Tools > Game Genie, then open up the .gen file you want. Once you press start on the main menu screen, the effects of the Game Genie code(s) should activate (some codes activate instantly upon activation).