New Level - Where There's Smoke There's Mirrors

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
enemseaes
Bronze Wonderlander

New Level - Where There's Smoke There's Mirrors

Post by enemseaes » Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:59 am

I was playing some old levels and was reminded of a neat visual effect/glitch, so I was messing around with it in the editor and ended up building this level around it! Hope you enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
enemseaes
Bronze Wonderlander

Re: New Level - Where There's Smoke There's Mirrors

Post by enemseaes » Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:58 am

After uploading I was curious if this level would work in WonderlandPlus.NET, and I found that it didn't, so attached is an alternate version of this level that does not use the glitch.

If you are playing with WonderlandPlus.NET or the Steam version, you should play this version (MAXNICK9B) of the level since otherwise the glitch in the original level I posted won't work in your game and it won't be playable.

If you are playing good old Return to Wonderland from 2005 (which I expect most of us are), you can ignore this post and play the original version (MAXNICK9), because this new one is exactly the same apart from having no glitched visual effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:35 pm

Exiting this level was easy, but I am still struggling to find a way to get the bonus coin.

I'll keep trying...
enemseaes
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by enemseaes » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:27 pm

The bonus is simple to get if you exit with the intended solution so I was confused... but I thought about it and think I know out what you're doing now. Since I didn't even think of this as a solution, I actually really lucked out that the bonus is impossible to get this way!

Here is a small hint if you want one:
Hint wrote:I'm guessing you are destroying the top barrel, but I'm destroying the bottom one.
Now I'm thinking about if it would be better to keep the level as is or reupload a version where your solution is impossible, to help guide towards the intended solution.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:12 pm

I am not reading the hint, not yet, but I have more than one solutions where I can exit but then do not have enough equipment left to take the bonus coin.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:51 pm

I decided to read the hint, but it made no difference - I already did both.
enemseaes
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by enemseaes » Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:03 pm

Sorry about that. I was trying to keep the main "idea" of the puzzle out of the hint as much as possible but I think it was actually way too conservative, even aside from being wrong about what you were doing.

I think I might see your method now after your last comment: I thought you were filling in two tiles in the lower left on the lake and bringing a reflector and a box up, but I see it's actually better to fill in one tile in the upper right, and then you can bring a reflector and two boxes up.

I will try another hint:
Hint wrote:You need to bring one "\" reflector into the upper area (and nothing else). Keep both remaining reflectors in the lower area and out of the water, until you get the rainbow coin.
If that is also unhelpful, I recorded a video solution: www.youtube.com/watch?v=p20tU4p116g

Thank you for playing these levels I've been making by the way, Amnon! I wish there was more going on here these days, but I will keep making levels if I have ideas for them.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:30 pm

WOW!!!!!!!

The new hint was sufficient (no need to watch the video) - this level is really amazing!
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:11 am

Aye... I'm still working through your levels (I'm very scared of MAXNICK 4 :lol:) but will be uploading solutions to them slowly as I'm sick atm. But my word. You are truly a genius. Thank you so much for this epic return. :)
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
enemseaes
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by enemseaes » Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:39 pm

Glad you both liked it!!

And that’s great Jutomi! I’d love to see your solutions. MAXNICK4 is pretty rough though, I think I just wanted to make a big, complicated level and it ended up… well, pretty big, but mostly just messy and confusing. So for sure feel free to skip it!

These days, I’m trying harder to have each level be built around some more well defined idea. Although, it might be interesting to try and go back and make like a new version of that level or something, maybe even revisit my really old levels where there are mazes of invisible walls and the custom textures are… No, no, never mind! I don’t even want to think about those ones!