Moderators - Comments

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:06 am

fixed.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:10 am

Now the link worked but it's to Zoomy's new demo of a game.

Still I've no idea what you're talking about. Anyone else?
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:13 am

Look at how many posts are dedicated to arguing.
They grow as we speak\type.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 am

Argueing can have different meanings if I'm right. It can mean: "Having a fight" which is not good in my opinion. But it can also "having a discussion or debate". And that's what we had in the pirate topic. So, what's wrong with it?
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:20 am

DESTROYED
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:23 am

I give up.
Arguing can take up alot of space on the forum, especially if a group of users is prone to it. That, and it can just get plain annoying. Take it to another.....wait. :idea:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:24 am

Will you ever give me a clear answer please? I'm sorry but almost everything what you said in this topic doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: This was only a reply on: DESTROYED
Last edited by Marinus on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 am

Well, if you mean some people don't like the debate BB and I had in the pirate topic, then they just can stay away from it.

The same for Wefight.
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:29 am

DEEMAN223344 wrote:I give up.
Arguing can take up alot of space on the forum, especially if a group of users is prone to it. That, and it can just get plain annoying. Take it to another.....wait. :idea:
This response is in plain english. if you can't understand it, i give up.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:30 am

Marinus wrote:Well, if you mean some people don't like the debate BB and I had in the pirate topic, then they just can stay away from it.

The same for Wefight.
The same for this
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:32 am

...But if you guys are prone to it, I can't even avoid it. D:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:34 am

If you don't like what we are talking about in a topic, then don't look at that topic. That's easy though, isn't it?
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:37 am

...Not if almost every topic i read i see debating.
I made a new topic for a reason.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:46 am

I think it's just this: You don't like the things that I like, and I don't like the things that you like. There are also lot's of topics which I don't find interesting, so I stay away from there. If you do the same, there is no problem at all. You can't expect that most of the topics are the way you like.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:28 am

So, you don't like debates, and you think there are too many debate topics, and therefore you made a new "Marinus Debate" topic. Seems quite contradictory to me.

Am I supposed to make a new "Deeman riddle" topic now? I don't think so.

Besides debates can be about everything where people disagree. You never can put all debates in only one topic.

And, last but not least: If you have a problem with debates, you'll never be a good moderator. Because then you would just lock each topic that you don't like, without discussion. Maybe you think everything should be the way you like, but you're not the only person on the world or on this forum.

I think your new topic will sink soon, unless you bump it yourself for no reason.

Good night.
User avatar
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:19 am

DEEMAN223344 wrote:
DEEMAN223344 wrote:I give up.
Arguing can take up alot of space on the forum, especially if a group of users is prone to it. That, and it can just get plain annoying. Take it to another.....wait. :idea:
This response is in plain english. if you can't understand it, i give up.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Marinus is saying that there are two kinds of arguments - bad ones (flamewar types) and intelligent ones (having a friendly debate about an issue). The former is incredibly worthy of deletion, but as long as the latter doesn't get out of hand, it's perfectly fine.

He didn't understand your response because he thinks differently, and you respond saying it's in "plain english", which is rather rude.

If you don't like debates, then you shouldn't really be a moderator, as being one tend to encompass quite a few.
Image
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 pm

I meant that BB starts one in almost every topic and even starts new ones.
Eg.
Correction argument
pirate argument
random argument in zoomy's game topic.....
etc.
That's why I'm encouraging people to take them to my new topic.
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Marinus wrote:So, you don't like debates, and you think there are too many debate topics, and therefore you made a new "Marinus Debate" topic. Seems quite contradictory to me.

Am I supposed to make a new "Deeman riddle" topic now? I don't think so.

Besides debates can be about everything where people disagree. You never can put all debates in only one topic.

And, last but not least: If you have a problem with debates, you'll never be a good moderator. Because then you would just lock each topic that you don't like, without discussion. Maybe you think everything should be the way you like, but you're not the only person on the world or on this forum.

I think your new topic will sink soon, unless you bump it yourself for no reason.

Good night.
I'm talking about constant debates on stuff like rules etc. just bring it to my to- wait. :idea:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Yes Deeman, you made your point clear: You don't like debates. Well:

Correction argument: (Can't find it anymore, perhaps accidently deleted) was if I'm right BB own topic, so you had nothing to do there.

Zoomy's topic: The same. I wouldn't call it a real debate either, just a bit silly fun.

Pirate topic: I didn't even see you post there.

So, if you were a moderator, you would just lock topics you don't like, for no other reason then that you don't like them. Well, since you said such as that things are obvious to you, which are not obvious to most people: I think it's obvious to most people that you are not going to be a moderator.



Qloof, I think you live in the ideal timezone for this job. Most things happen on this forum after midnight. (European time) When I see at my previous post it was 4:28h, phew! Shouldn't happen every night.


Blast, talking about not really relevant information, I think I have them all now about you :wink:, for if I remember right you said once that the 10 in your username stands for your age when you joined the forum, so you should be (almost) 14 now. But if it's about relevant information, (If you would be a good moderator) I still only can depend on the faith that Jacob, Tyteen and Qloof have in you, which is actually second-hand information, and that you look a pretty kind boy on your picture. So I would like to ask you a few questions:

- Why do you want to be a moderator?
- Why do you think you will be a good moderator?
- How are you going to convince other people about that?

XPR, actually the same as I said to Blast, except that I don't have any non-relevant information about you, at least I don't believe that your parents and friends call you ~xpr'd~ , and I do have some relevant information, but that's unfortunately, in topics that have disappeared.

- In the "correction argument topic" you told me not to post there, because you and some other people (not me!) had agreed not to do. :shock:

- In some other topic with the title "Hey hey hey", I used a word for an "employer of women who offer some services for money", and you quoted only half of the word (the women, not the employer) and said nothing but: What?!, or some question marks, not sure.

Actually those two examples don't let me think that you will be a good moderator, but of course, everyone may change. So please, prove me wrong, and answer those same questions I asked Blast.

Or, to the two of you, please give your opinion about some serious matters on this forum. Honestly, if people don't state, and explain their opinions, because they're afraid to do so, or for whatever other reason, I don't think they will be good moderators.
User avatar
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1357
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Marinus wrote:XPR, actually the same as I said to Blast, except that I don't have any non-relevant information about you, at least I don't believe that your parents and friends call you ~xpr'd~ , and I do have some relevant information, but that's unfortunately, in topics that have disappeared.

- In the "correction argument topic" you told me not to post there, because you and some other people (not me!) had agreed not to do. :shock: . From my point of view, some of your comments were kindof rude and the sort, so I asked you to stop posting rude stuff so people wouldn't be offended. I didn't mean anything more or less.

- In some other topic with the title "Hey hey hey", I used a word for an "employer of women who offer some services for money", and you quoted only half of the word (the women, not the employer) and said nothing but: What?!, or some question marks, not sure. Part of the word was offensive, even though technically the whole word wasn't, it did include the offensive word in it. Sorry if you didn't understand.

Actually those two examples don't let me think that you will be a good moderator, but of course, everyone may change. So please, prove me wrong, and answer those same questions I asked Blast.
Well, I'd like to be a moderator since there's a lot going on on the forum that really needs some help. Patrick really can't keep up with every post that's spammy or offensive and the sort, so I basically want to give a lending hand until the Off-topic section isn't so much of as what it is now. I honestly don't know if I'll be a good moderator or if I can convince anyone. But if I have a small chance to at least try, then you'll know and I'll know too. Some other people have said I'll do well, and some people have said I'll do badly. If I didn't answer all of your questions, then just tell me and I gladly will.
Image
she/her | Sayori#2285
User avatar
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5512
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Post by Nobody » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Marinus wrote:XPR, actually the same as I said to Blast, except that I don't have any non-relevant information about you, at least I don't believe that your parents and friends call you ~xpr'd~ , and I do have some relevant information, but that's unfortunately, in topics that have disappeared.

- In the "correction argument topic" you told me not to post there, because you and some other people (not me!) had agreed not to do. :shock:

- In some other topic with the title "Hey hey hey", I used a word for an "employer of women who offer some services for money", and you quoted only half of the word (the women, not the employer) and said nothing but: What?!, or some question marks, not sure.

Actually those two examples don't let me think that you will be a good moderator
They show me how good a moderator he will be.
i should change my signature to not be rude to pcpuzzle
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Nobody wrote:They show me how good a moderator he will be.
I can imagine that you think that, because you use to act about the same way. However, since you didn't offer to be a moderator for the off-topic's I will not discuss that with you in this topic.

XPR, thanks for answering. I'll probably reply later. :D
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Marinus wrote:Yes Deeman, you made your point clear: You don't like debates. Well:

Correction argument: (Can't find it anymore, perhaps accidently deleted) was if I'm right BB own topic, so you had nothing to do there.

Zoomy's topic: The same. I wouldn't call it a real debate either, just a bit silly fun.

Pirate topic: I didn't even see you post there.

So, if you were a moderator, you would just lock topics you don't like, for no other reason then that you don't like them. Well, since you said such as that things are obvious to you, which are not obvious to most people: I think it's obvious to most people that you are not going to be a moderator.


No, i wouldn't. My actions depend on the situation. Back on topic please.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:09 pm

You wouldn't what? Lock topics which you don't like? So what would you?

Acting depending on the situation does everyone. That wouldn't make you a good moderator. You have given me several reasons, that you would not be a good moderator, but not a single one, that you would be.
Back on topic please.
To who are you talking? Yourself perhaps?

Edit:
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=260824#260824
DEEMAN223344 wrote:I'm not gonna be a MOD, face it.
Last edited by Marinus on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:57 pm

XPR, here is some explanation from my point of view, about the two examples I mentioned:

http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=260814#260814

About being a moderator, I think I'll say more later. :)
User avatar
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:53 am

DEEMAN223344 wrote:I meant that BB starts one in almost every topic and even starts new ones.
Eg.
Correction argument
pirate argument
random argument in zoomy's game topic.....
etc.
That's why I'm encouraging people to take them to my new topic.
The correction topic was because it was off-topic from the thread it started on, so it was split to a topic of its own. That's all there is to it.

The pirate argument is because we're at a disagreement as to if it's on or off-topic. It's still relevant to the topic itself.

Zoomy's topic was for two different reasons - First was because of BB bumping it and then because ^_^ denied spamming despite it being proven several times. It had already died when BB commented that he didn't know why ^_^ found him annoying. You're the one who bumped it back up a week later.

Yes, Billy Bob does sometimes start arguments, we all do at one point in our life. The reason BB does more than some people is because he has a different way of thinking to the majority of the users here. You can't ban someone just for that or say that it's all their fault. If you're so dead-set against debating, even without your attitude, you're not going to be a moderator.

I might be repeating myself, but I'm irritable tonight (had a bad day today). The only thing that people want and expect from other users (you and me included) is to be respectful and not have an arrogant attitude. I know sometimes I've felt rather annoyed at some posts as well, but unless I felt as though they were directly attacking me I resisted responding in kind.
Image
User avatar
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Qloof234 wrote: he has a different way of thinking to the majority of the users here.
The above explains my actions more than it explains BB's.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Deeman, since you said, that you're not going to be a moderator, I think you'd better talk about yourself or about BB in a different topic, because this topic is definitely about moderators. Or, with other words:
8) Deeman wrote:Back on topic please.
Well, I think either:
- They have big internet problems in Israel, or
- Blast is so very busy at home that he hasn't have time to post on the forum, or
- he doesn't want to give his opinion here.

Unless I'm totally missing another possibility, I think we can't use him here as a moderator.
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Marinus wrote: Well, I think either:
- They have big internet problems in Israel, or
Nope.
- Blast is so very busy at home that he hasn't have time to post on the forum, or
He does have time, he just don't do it (from what I see)
- he doesn't want to give his opinion here.
I don't know...

Unless I'm totally missing another possibility, I think we can't use him here as a moderator.
Comments in bold
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
User avatar
Blast!10
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1732
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:26 pm
Location: Tel Aviv

Post by Blast!10 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Marinus wrote:- Why do you want to be a moderator?
- Why do you think you will be a good moderator?
- How are you going to convince other people about that?
- I don't.
- I don't.
- I'm not.

Yes, I come on every day. I stay on almost all day. If I have nothing to do, I come here. It's the default place for me to talk to people. It's also true that I have examples of me moderating topics pretty well (though they're all in Hebrew, and they were also deleted for inactivity, so that means nothing to you).

So why am I suddenly so negative? Because I'm going to be completely useless for all of you. I simply lack the ability to "give lectures" that Qloof has, and in order to control the bad stuff the way I do, I have to be a moderator. In order to become a moderator, I have to try to control the bad stuff . In order to control the bad stuff the way I do, I have to be a moderator. See the infinite loop there?

Now you're probably going to ask me, "Why don't we get you out of the loop, and just apply moderator status to you, if we know that you've moderated so well, and that people have so much faith in you?" Because of my timezone. Everything big/spammy/rude happens on this forum when it's night for me and I'm asleep. As a result, Qloof or MS (or ~xpr'd~ if he gets status) will always beat me to it, since they're awake when it happens. This leads me to doing NOTHING as a moderator, and possibly losing respect. If that happens, it's bye bye to all online friends I've EVER had. :roll:
Locked